GTPlanet Voice Chat

• Thread starter Aero-R
  • 22 comments
Aero-R
As a result of the previous voice chat software poll, Ventrilo won (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=110535) so that one will be the favourite for voice chat on GTPlanet. I've done then a so basic tutorial to help a bit with the initial setup (click on the pictures to enlarge them).

- VENTRILO GTPlanet TUTORIAL -

1.- Install the CLIENT Version of VENTRILO in order to connect with the SERVER Version, from http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php selecting one of the three variations availables matching your O.S.: WINDOWS x86 (32bit) architecture, WINDOWS x86-x64 (64bit) architecture, and MAC OSX (32bit).

2.- Run the setup, you'll not have problems with it since it's quite basic and on a few seconds after finish the install you'll be able to run the Ventrilo for first time and the main window will appear:

3.- First of all, you've to setup your nickname. Just go to the USER NAME field above and push the arrow at right. A new window will appear and you just have to select NEW and type your name (better if it has the GTP tag in order to recognize each other on a easy way):

4.- Now just go to the right of the main window and select SETUP, then you're into the VOICE section:

As you see PTT mode is selected, this is just to use VENTRILO like a walkie-talkie, opening the microphone channel only when I've the button selected as Hotkey pressed. You have to select the button you would like to use as Hotkey, you'll see if it was recognized on the Hotkey box from below, and that's all. But you can use it too as on SKYPE (always on), or just use it on way on which the software opens the microphone channel only when voice is detected. For both, you've to uncheck the PTT mode so two new fields below became available (and the Hotkey box is not available now):

SILENCE TIME lets you select the time you like to have the microphone channel opened after your last word. Some people prefer a low value like 0'5 seconds to have his microphone channel closed as soon as he finishes to talk. Other people prefer to have a high value like 2'5 seconds because they use to talk slowly and don't want a open/clouse channel routine between each word said.

SENSIVITY lets you select the pressure needed on the microphone membrane to open the microphone channel. Take in mind not the moment on which you're doing the setup but also the way on which you use the microphone when you're racing. Sometimes you race from a far place, and you wasn't there when doing the setup, that could cause not being heard when racing online due to the distance change. A lower value, less pressure needed. Just check some values and choice the one that suits your preferences.

To have a config. like the SKYPE one (microphone channel always on) you just have to select SILENCE TIME to 60 seconds and SENSIVITY to 1, but it's not suggested as you'll be not using one of the main characteristic of this software and it'll confuse a lot to the rest of your partners in the room when listening to all your ambient noise, music or whatever.

5.- Accept the SETUP window and you're back on the main one. Now just the server config left. Click the right arrow on the SERVER field and a new window will appear. Select NEW and it'll ask you for a name. This name is not the adress of the server, so you can just choice a name to recognize that server, for example:

Then the important fields are HOSTNAME / IP, PORT NUMBER and PASSWORD, they will be all provided by the user who runs the SERVER Version of VENTRILO. We will be using of course the same one, at the moment the current server is offered by GTP_L_Hamilton, so thanks to him for that:

HOSTNAME / IP: Chromium.typefrag.com
PORT NUMBER: PM GTP_L_Hamilton for the Port Number, this is just to avoid people not from GTPlanet login into
PASSWORD: No password

Once you're in, go and do double click above the GT room you'll see =]

This is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this Aero-R. This is really easy to use and save a lot of time. (And kicks my tutorial's ass any day).

This is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this Aero-R. This is really easy to use and save a lot of time. (And kicks my tutorial's ass any day).
Oh no no, thanks to you for your support with the server mate.

Hope this helps anybody. If anybody see any idea to edit it and improve the thing, please let me know :)

Dumb question time!

I use ventrilo regularly, and I've logged into Hammy's server before. However, my setup has my PC across the room, so I can't use vent and drive at the same time.

Are there good solutions which would allow me to use a wireless setup? A bluetooth mic with an adapter perhaps?

Sorry for being dense... just looking for suggestions.:dunce:

As I have told Aero R, I have ton of Ventrilo experience with servers. Aero, first thing I suggest is changing the codec to Speex. It may not have quite the quality as GSM, but it is the only codec supported by the OSX (which I use) version of Vent.

It is better to put a password than restrict the access by the port. That's what the password is for. The password should be changed weekly.

I am in the room, using the default port, but I do not see any channels or anything. Give me access and I will configure the channels completely. My name on Vent is GTP_Tzayad.

Vaxen, there are a ton of headset options. Not sure about wireless. I'll do some searching and put up some suggestions.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind with Vent - well there are TWO things.

First, for Windows users, there is a way to 'normalize' all incoming volume, which means everyone will be at the same volume. Mac users do not have that option. I suggest that everyone who can do it, do it. I will put up directions for that.

For those that cannot, there are controls for input and output volume.

I have never used Vent in a scenario where I have not been able to use Push To Talk. I'm afraid to NOT use it, however, since it will pick up echos, steering wheel screeches, TV volume, and anything else that is loud.

I think vent rooms should be restricted to only those people who are in a certain race, and people should be in charge or switching their rooms when they see the line up for their race. I have a horrible sense that the rooms will have too many people in it, and too much talking.

I have to run, but we have alot of setup to do.

Oh, and Ham, how big is your server? 25? 50?

Last edited:
Dumb question time!

I use ventrilo regularly, and I've logged into Hammy's server before. However, my setup has my PC across the room, so I can't use vent and drive at the same time.

Are there good solutions which would allow me to use a wireless setup? A bluetooth mic with an adapter perhaps?

Sorry for being dense... just looking for suggestions.:dunce:
I looking info for that too, because I've a Bluetooth headset and I would like to know if I could use it with Ventrilo. I think that as soon as the Bluetooth headset is recognized as a audio thing on the PC, it can be used with Ventrilo too, but that depends of each headset I guess.

If I found any info with mine I'll tell you 👍

GTP_Tzayad
As I have told Aero R, I have ton of Ventrilo experience with servers. Aero, first thing I suggest is changing the codec to Speex. It may not have quite the quality as GSM, but it is the only codec supported by the OSX (which I use) version of Vent.
Yes that's true !, I readed that on some forums too and I was going to put it on the tutorial but seems to be that it's a thing that the server has?, I mean.. you can't select the codec you want to use (just monitor/test it) becase at the end of the day the server that you'll connect to, ask for a specific coded to use, isn't it?

GTP_Tzayad
It is better to put a password than restrict the access by the port. That's what the password is for. The password should be changed weekly.

I am in the room, using the default port, but I do not see any channels or anything. Give me access and I will configure the channels completely. My name on Vent is GTP_Tzayad.
I'll send you the port through PM but since the server is by GTP_L_Hamilton I can't give you more details about why not using a password or the channels config. I just don't know that

GTP_Tzayad
I have never used Vent in a scenario where I have not been able to use Push To Talk. I'm afraid to NOT use it, however, since it will pick up echos, steering wheel screeches, TV volume, and anything else that is loud.

I think vent rooms should be restricted to only those people who are in a certain race, and people should be in charge or switching their rooms when they see the line up for their race. I have a horrible sense that the rooms will have too many people in it, and too much talking.

That won't be a problem. Those FX are not too high. For example I'm one of those users who race on so loud volumes. I've my stereo system 1'5 from the microphone and I've used ventrilo with pressure mode without any problem, the others were not bothered by the noise.

And about the people, don't be afraid, I don't think we'll have problems. I've seen as much, 3 people at the same time. Now with the divisions thing and the finally tutorial I hope some people and we could do a room for each Division but I honestly don't think we will have a lot of people to reach that level of talking.

Last edited:
Dumb question time!

Is it still on? :D

I have a logitech USB headset, I used to play TRD3 online with it. Does it work with ventrilo?

PS - Vaxen, my headset (cost me 29,99 euros) has a looooong cable, my PS2 was across the room and that wasn't a problem

That won't be a problem. Those FX are not too high. For example I'm one of those users who race on so loud volumes. I've my stereo system 1'5 from the microphone and I've used ventrilo with pressure mode without any problem, the others were not bothered by the noise.

And about the people, don't be afraid, I don't think we'll have problems. I've seen as much, 3 people at the same time. Now with the divisions thing and the finally tutorial I hope some people and we could do a room for each Division but I honestly don't think we will have a lot of people to reach that level of talking.
Ventrilo normalization is awesome. It doesn't regulate outgoing volume, but rather incoming volume. It seems there's always someone with their volume too high (ow!), or too low (what?)... Normalization fixes both of these conditions.
Is it still on? :D

I have a logitech USB headset, I used to play TRD3 online with it. Does it work with ventrilo?

PS - Vaxen, my headset (cost me 29,99 euros) has a looooong cable, my PS2 was across the room and that wasn't a problem
There should be no problem with a logitech USB headset and Vent.

I use this headset, and love it. Very comfortable for long gaming sessions (hours at a time even!). The cable might reach, but I'd still prefer a wireless solution.

Oh, and Ham, how big is your server? 25? 50?

I can make more than 1. I'll make 2 rooms for now.

And the room is I think 25. But I'll have to double check on that.

I was thinking more of a GTP specific room, with 2 or 3 rooms set up for each division, plus rooms titled for the other events that are live at the time. Most of the time they wont be filled, but give people the spots to go to where they are racing.

Like if I start doing suzy 750 right now, I go int othe suz 750 room, and chill there, even though i'd be alone.

That way, when other people start their vent, they see that I am in there, and what event I am in.

I was thinking more of a GTP specific room, with 2 or 3 rooms set up for each division, plus rooms titled for the other events that are live at the time. Most of the time they wont be filled, but give people the spots to go to where they are racing.

Like if I start doing suzy 750 right now, I go int othe suz 750 room, and chill there, even though i'd be alone.

That way, when other people start their vent, they see that I am in there, and what event I am in.

True. Even though like EVERYONE is doing Suzuka. But I still know what you mean. Yeah, I'll see if I can do that.

Myself and a few others here have participated on the TeamSpeak server run by the guys at the Playstation.com forums and I think we can avoid a few headaches by learning from their experience. PTT seems to work better than auto-mic-sensitivity. Not as convenient during a race for some, but then you don't have a constant barrage of background noise from 10-16 people during a race. The standing rule on the TeamSpeak server is to keep casual chatting to a minimum in general and no casual talking during a race. They really have things together with administration too as there is a server admin online almost every night that will register and give new users a quick walk through on the spot.

Their TS server is setup with a room for each online event. I believe there is a general meeting area too, but mostly everyone that's on at a given time gravitates to one event. As I said, myself, KartRacer and a few others from this forum have participated with them and can possibly answer questions that they may have already worked out solutions for. They have had their server running pretty much non-stop since January of February. Or if you guys running the Ventrio server here want to communicate directly with those guys, I'd be happy to put you in touch.

Regarding headsets, if the headset works with your system, it should work with Ventrilo. I used to use a bluetooth headset with TS on my Mac, but I'd forget to charge it. I usually just plug in my iPod earbuds and use the built in mic on my MacBook.

I think it would benefit the community if this were stickied.

I have to assume the server is always up and running, allowing users to come and go as they please?

Is it set up with individual rooms for online events? To go a step further, are they "region specific"?

GTP_L_Hamilton does not exist and cannot be PM'd ;) The first post needs to be edited.

Last edited:
out of idle curiosity why couldn't you log onto the Ventrilo (whenever i see that word the phrase "balls of steel" pops into my head) then use a wireless headset or an extension wire to talk while accross the room?

out of idle curiosity why couldn't you log onto the Ventrilo (whenever i see that word the phrase "balls of steel" pops into my head) then use a wireless headset or an extension wire to talk while accross the room?

You can, I am. I'm using a BT headset.

"...walk like the dead"

One of my faves...
Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap an habit
Sow an habit, reap a destiny
Do anything, be anyone
But you're not free

Last edited:
GTP_L_Hamilton is his PSN ID. His forum name is Mine's_GTR, and he's posted in this thread already.

That's why I winked. Fortunately, Mine's posted in this thread, otherwise it could have been like finding a needle in a hay stack. Hence the editing of the 1st post would clear up any further misunderstanding.

That's why I winked. Fortunately, Mine's posted in this thread, otherwise it could have been like finding a needle in a hay stack. Hence the editing of the 1st post would clear up any further misunderstanding.

You're too clever for me, Dave!

You're too clever for me, Dave!

Sniff, sniff....is that sarcasm I smell in the air? Oh, wait, I farted :eek:

You make me smile Vaxen.

Sniff, sniff....is that sarcasm I smell in the air? Oh, wait, I farted :eek:

You make me smile Vaxen.
Just to clear the air... :sly:

I think this is just a standard case of forum tone misunderstanding. I meant no disrespect, and my earlier post was an attempt to clarify who, exactly, GTP_L_Hamilton was.

When the server was originally setup, and this getting started guide was posted, "Mine's GTR" had the forum name of "L_Hamilton". As a premier user, he's allowed to change his forum name, and he did.

You are correct that it would be useful to have the contact info in the first post updated to reflect this change, however.

... and I'm glad that I make you smile. :)

We're all good Vaxen, I took no offense. Thanks for clearing up as to why there was any misunderstanding to begin with.

Back