GTR Revival from Ian Bell with the original GTR2/SimBin crew announced

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 704 comments
Game changer

high quality GIF

I know people are making jokes about this, but just wanted to add that the Madbox was cancelled a while ago. Ian tweeted that investors had pulled out after the reveal of the Google Stadia, killing the project.

Edit: Oh, you did write an article about this :) : https://www.gtplanet.net/mad-box-naming-snag/
Seems like I misremembered, Nathan did the tweet, not Ian. While it hasn’t been publicly announced that it was officially cancelled, I think it’s fair to say at this point that it has.
Yup - that's part of the joke from the above conversation about form.

Still, since Stadia is now dead and nobody even knows about Amazon Luna, maybe MadNotbox will come back...

Interesting... AI commentators. They sound pretty good.

Ah, thought so, not even remotely close to game changing. Cool? Yes, a cool use of AI that could add something interesting to racing games. But not game changing as it is effectively a function of racing video games that has existed since the 90s.

Huh. From 2020:

(janky sounds because "synthesised" voice; I know all AI voices are synthesised, but you know what I mean)

The comment I left on youtube is the same I'll leave here.

Nice! And impressive, I'm not sure I want to hear those guys while racing but race replay reviewing sure becomes more interesting and funny. I wonder if we will be able to add a real life broadcaster into the mix and have him "direct" the AI commentators so he can interact with them (as we racers interact with AI drivers). If that's the case I wouldn't mind being broadcaster every now and then just for the fun of creating a "live" commentary with my AI counterparts. Whatever the case congratulations, keep up the good work!

I would call it game changing because it doesn't exist in any console racing game right now.

And, I am definitely the target audience for commentary during a race.

One of the things I hate about GT games, both Sport and GT7, is that it's so sterile with no voices.

PC2 has an engineer/spotter that talks to you during the race. It's not much but it's enough to add to the immersion.

ACC has something similar but not quite as good.

So, given what I'm used to with console racing games, this IS game changing.

Last edited:
I would call it game changing because it doesn't exist in any console racing game right now.

One of the things I hate about GT games, both Sport and GT7, is that it's so sterile with no voices.

PC2 has an engineer/spotter that talks to you during the race. It's not much but it's enough to add to the immersion.

I guess the way I look at game-changing is, would this feature change how an existing game plays or how I play it? Like, if this was added in to F1 22 right now, does it change the game? My opinion is no, not in the way described. The game will still play exactly the same as before, but with the addition of persistent race commentary which some will enjoy and some will simply immediately turn off. In race commentary in a sim racing game isn't really a unique selling point and, for many, isn't a selling point at all.

Last edited:
I’m subscribed to their monthly newsletter lol. Regardless, Assetto Corsa 2 isn’t that far from release.
It took me a while to get to it but I followed the links and read the newsletter. Thank you for mentioning it because I didn't even know what existed

I suggest everybody read the newsletter because it appears he's learned from the PC3 mistake and he even references it without calling it by name. Lol

I recognize that there are different levels of anticipation and varying levels of skepticism but the newsletter makes it very clear in which direction they're heading and anybody who wants a sim racing game on console might be happy with it.

@MagpieRacer some people would like it and some people will not. I attended the Rolex 24 with my son-in-law a couple years ago. He's a real life racer. We had an amazing time being in garages and literally on the track.

I was wishing I could hear what the commentators were saying. I like the stories and I like to hear what's going on in different parts of the pack, not just what we see with the leaders. He didn't care one way or the other. So, yes there will be different perspectives.

My perspective is that I prefer a less sterile environment.

On your comment that some racing games already have commentary, I'm not aware of which console racers have that. Would you share with us which console and which racing game has commentary? I want to get that game.

Last edited:

I like the level of commentary you get from your race engineer in PC2. I would like to see "Hans Gruber" as I call him in ACC say more kind of like PC2 does.

It took me a while to get to it but I followed the links and read the newsletter. Thank you for mentioning it because I didn't even know what existed

I suggest everybody read the newsletter because it appears he's learned from the PC3 mistake and he even references it without calling it by name. Lol

I recognize that there are different levels of anticipation and varying levels of skepticism but the newsletter makes it very clear in which direction they're heading and anybody who wants a sim racing game on console might be happy with it.

@MagpieRacer some people would like it and some people will not. I attended the Rolex 24 with my son-in-law a couple years ago. He's a real life racer. We had an amazing time being in garages and literally on the track.

I was wishing I could hear what the commentators were saying. I like the stories and I like to hear what's going on in different parts of the pack, not just what we see with the leaders. He didn't care one way or the other. So, yes there will be different perspectives.

My perspective is that I prefer a less sterile environment.

On your comment that some racing games already have commentary, I'm not aware of which console racers have that. Would you share with us which console and which racing game has commentary? I want to get that game.
There's a difference though regarding your Daytona example, watching racing and having a running commentary is a very different thing to playing an immersive racing game and getting the same. When I'm watching racing, I like commentary, when I'm playing a sim or a game, I don't.

As for games having commentary, studio Liverpool had running commentary in every F1 game they did up until losing the license in 2007 (last one being F1CE), the 90s psygnosis games also did. In more recent times, race engineers have effectively taken over the commentary role in games as people arrived for more realism oriented experiences when playing. And have broadcast commentary and race engineer dialogue together can be messy (again, see F1CE). Games like Grid and Dirt have track announcers in the background which don't add much and the current crop of F1 games have pre and post race broadcast commentary which is fine but mostly gets skipped anyway.

As we've both said, everyone will have a differing view, I don't think sterile audio in games can be fixed by adding persistent commentary. Games with good audio design shouldn't be sterile anyway and, for the most part, aren't.

That aside, here's an interesting article showing this is far from the first foray anyone has had into AI generated commentary.

Last edited:
@MagpieRacer So, the only games with running commentary are very old F1 games?

1. I wouldn't expect that to be very good compared to what they can do with technology today.

2. Are those games available on PS5 or Xbox series X?

I don't normally prefer F1 games but I would give it a run just to see what it was like

I'm a bit like Kimi when it comes to driving games, "shut up I know what I'm doing", just me & my car. I don't need the engineer telling me stuff (I have eyes & ears) & I don't need commentary during my race (maybe during the replays could be good)

I'm a bit like Kimi when it comes to driving games, "shut up I know what I'm doing", just me & my car. I don't need the engineer telling me stuff (I have eyes & ears) & I don't need commentary during my race (maybe during the replays could be good)
Kimi the Legend

How I will miss his ornery nature!

Grumpy, I'm the exact opposite: I want more commentary and I want more information on what's going on on parts of the track that I can't monitor.

If he's able to pull it off it would be great to have because people like you and magpie could simply turn it off and people like me can have it.

Options are good

Last edited:
Kimi the Legend

How I will miss his ornery nature!

Grumpy, I'm the exact opposite: I want more commentary and I want more information on what's going on on parts of the track that I can't monitor.

If he's able to pull it off it would be great to have because people like you and magpie could simply turn it off and people like me can have it.

Options are good
I wish I could turn my wife & kids off :lol:
Joking aside, yes options are good for all but for me the immersion lies in all lights off around me, hud off, surround system up & just become 1 with the barriers :lol:

Interesting use of technology. I'm not sure I'd want it on while I'm racing (it's probably not intended for that anyway) but for watching replays it would certainly add an extra layer of immersion. @slthree you'd be in your element. 😉

You could also join lobbies and just watch while listening to the commentary. Streamers will love the function for their videos.

Game changing? Well sort of I suppose, it changes it to a game with running commentary. While it doesn't add anything to the actual driving experience any new features are welcome.

Not sure how it's going to handle 'driver B as just dive-bombed driver A'. It'll need that for online use!

If they had detailed it like a race engineer. Taking in data and it communicating with you on a more natural level with various voice types, I'd get it.

But I don't really care with commentary. I'd probably turn it off because the game I'm looking for is more about the driving/racing experience.

Since this is patent pending, that must mean there’s a patent filing accessible online somewhere, right?

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

GTR Revival’s Game-Changing Feature Teased: Commentary Powered by Artificial Intelligence

After a typically bombastic teaser yesterday, Straight4 Studios chief Ian Bell has revealed the “complete game changing” unique feature for GTR Revival, and it’s safe to say it wasn’t exactly what we were expecting...
That is some very cool tech, the application in games alone is huge, outside of games, could we change Michael Owens voice when he's commentating on a football match to a less annoying one? Or has Michael Owens commentatry always been this in an early Alpha state?

I’m genuinely curious what you liked about it. It was advertised as all the sim you will ever need, but was more of an arcade racer than Forza. It was basically abandoned a year after release.
Yes it was but I enjoyed it with a controller setup that just worked. It was quite a bit like shift. I bought it cheap in a sale and knew what was what before buying.

I tell you what, I thought about this when we first saw the GT Sport 2.0 trailer. It was the voice overs for the World Tour clip. I really thought that would be something interesting for the game.
Imagine the licensing for Murray Walker’s voice in touring car events.

You can now have Gunther Steiner shouting in your ear as you try to survive a rain race in the next GTR game

Last edited:
I really like the idea behind it, it would certainly make me car more about wanting to keep the volume on as opposed to muting them all the time...I'd actually like to see this sort of thing like in F1 when the mechanics team chime in over the radio telling you that you need to ease up on the heavy breaking otherwise you'll be pitting in 2 laps instead of 4 and other various things to do with damage and degradation. Then again it would also be funny to hear that "noobinator2000 is ruining everyone's day by driving the wrong way around the track, he will be disqualified and removed from the race in a matter of moments" would be rather humorous to hear.

However yeah I don't see it as jaw dropping, it's really cool and sounds great and the technology is already beyond that uncanny valley area of it sounding almost impossibly real, but for a racing game yeah...was sorta hoping it was car and track related, damage related and or other sound design related stuff like engine/exhaust audio.

It might be a game changer in working with the flags and if an engineer option is available. Maybe a car has gone off sustaining heavy damage or backmarker or rain announced at one end of a circuit or lead change, leader entering pits. Kangaroo on the circuit. Who knows? :lol:

Probably best as a replay option.

Technically, it changes something about the game.

Realistically, when people say "game changing" they mean "radically alters the way the game plays". This does not. It's cute, but it's far less game changing than adding engineer radio and spotters to sim games was.
Since this is patent pending, that must mean there’s a patent filing accessible online somewhere, right?
One would have thought so. It'd be interesting to see, because the level of current technology around this suggests that it's neither particularly new nor particularly non-obvious. I think getting a patent would be a hard sell unless they're going for a very specific technological implementation.

Back