GTS Cockpit View

• Thread starter Trick_13
  • 43 comments
I’ve read from Kaz/PD before FOV can have a significant impact on game performance (FPS).

That said, I don’t see any reason not to have a wheel less, cockpit view. If anything that will be less demanding.

Given the seating position in many modern race cars I often find it difficult to get an adequate cockpit view. In Dirt Rally 2.0 I’ve found the view much more useable. Not sure if that’s Codemasters working’s. Or simply down to the nature of rally cars and the drivers need to sit a little higher.

If only there was the option to remove the wheel for those that wish but options are bad. Apparently.
upload_2020-4-15_19-51-34.png

(Yes, that really is the car you think it is. No, its not a photoshop.)

I’ve read from Kaz/PD before FOV can have a significant impact on game performance (FPS).

That said, I don’t see any reason not to have a wheel less, cockpit view. If anything that will be less demanding.

Given the seating position in many modern race cars I often find it difficult to get an adequate cockpit view. In Dirt Rally 2.0 I’ve found the view much more useable. Not sure if that’s Codemasters working’s. Or simply down to the nature of rally cars and the drivers need to sit a little higher.
Quality control

I thought this is about the benefits of cockpit view, but no.
People just arguing over an obvious (and obviously missing) setting.

My take on it anyway:

1. I have rediscovered the cockpit view lately and found that it really adds information on what the car is doing.
In particular, you can differentiate if the car is turning in well or if it is turning too much.

2. I always use maximum up and maximum forward setting for the cockpit view. The default is already ridiculously low and still you can go much lower. Another underage option probably.

Although it’s not really what you’re asking for. It’s worth pointing out GT’s ‘Bumper Cam’ view is not really a bumper cam.

It’s the drivers eye view as if you’re sat in the middle of the car. So you get the feeling of cockpit cam. Rather than being perched out on the nose of the car.

I believe you’re mixing up hood cam and bumper cam, because bumper cam is not even remotely close to the drivers eye view as it is perched out on the nose of the car giving you a weird pendulum feel.

1. I have rediscovered the cockpit view lately and found that it really adds information on what the car is doing.
In particular, you can differentiate if the car is turning in well or if it is turning too much.

2. I always use maximum up and maximum forward setting for the cockpit view. The default is already ridiculously low and still you can go much lower. Another underage option probably.

This is my take on cockpit as well. It gives the most accurate information of what the car is doing. And, provided you have the screen rig setup for proper FOV, it also gives a superior sense of spatial awareness.

This also depends on the car though. Some lack mirrors which is absurd.

PD needs to give the options to adjust FOV, add/remove wheel/hands AND give the option for virtual mirrors on screen as part of a customizable hud.

Without VR we can’t quickly scan our mirrors in a tight battle, which can cause collisions. I notice this all the time with hood/chase cam drivers who lack a rear view mirror. It’s not their fault, but the lack of a rear mirror is a huge blind spot when battling.

Last edited:
Yeah, some cars are rather annoying.
The Megane has extremely strong, strange reflections in the windshield.
Hard to see. Hard to get used to. But now I have to go with it.
The side-mirrors disappearing out of sight is probably unavoidable. Should really have either in-car mirror or screen/virtual mirror.

Today, starting in the Audi TT, everything looked greenish/blue-ish. I first thought my screen settings are off.
Turns out they actually use the realistic tint of the windscreen.
It's "the real driving simulator" after all!

Many drivers, even PR1_Josete or SuperGT use the Hood cam,
probably because it is somehow similar to cockpit, but without the distractions and things getting in the way.
On the other hand, this view always just feels like driving a Samba Bus. It's so far off from as simulation that I can't take it.

I can understand that you find the reflection is annoying, but this is the reality while the sun shine and we use glass in the windshield. PD
certainly know what they are doing, and do it beautifully imo.
Some like it, and some not, that's how it is and will be. For me, I didn't like it at first, but now I really appreciate it.

My take on the camera views.
Hoodcam and bumpercam: For lap records and and to be competitive to others in online racing and the perfect apex entering.
Cockpit: Maybe slower lap time, but a lot more realistic and better sense for what the car is doing and behaving. I still have to try the VR.

There is always room for improvement, just like having the option to add rear view mirror in the chase/hood/cockpit views.

Last edited:
Is there a restriction of views in official FIA events?
As far as I remember, I only saw bumper-cam.
Not that it applies for me, just curious.

So strange, after 3 weeks of cockpit, I can hardly bear the bumper cam. All this track passing underneath...

Yeah, some cars are rather annoying.
The Megane has extremely strong, strange reflections in the windshield.
Hard to see. Hard to get used to. But now I have to go with it.
The side-mirrors disappearing out of sight is probably unavoidable. Should really have either in-car mirror or screen/virtual mirror.

Today, starting in the Audi TT, everything looked greenish/blue-ish. I first thought my screen settings are off.
Turns out they actually use the realistic tint of the windscreen.
It's "the real driving simulator" after all!

Many drivers, even PR1_Josete or SuperGT use the Hood cam,
probably because it is somehow similar to cockpit, but without the distractions and things getting in the way.
On the other hand, this view always just feels like driving a Samba Bus. It's so far off from as simulation that I can't take it.
Try the '63 Sting Ray with the red interior. Literally can not see out the front windscreen, in sunny conditions.

Hi all,

Whilst using cockpit view on GTS it is not possible to remove the games driver hands and/or steering wheel. Why is this?

As a sim racer I personally want the choice to be able to remove the games driver hands and steering wheel from the dashboard so my own hands and steering wheel replace them for a better more immersive experience.
This is possible on titles such as Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 2 and even an older title such as Assetto Corsa (PS4, December 2014).
Understandably this is not to everyone’s liking but I think it should be down to personal choice and that choice should be available to everyone. After all GTS is supposed to be
“The Real Driving Simulator”

In Project Cars 2, you can remove the hands ...

I tried it and actually it feels ever weirder ...

But I agree , good or bad, we should have more option in that regards.

Ps5 and psvr should be usable in sports mode.

i only race in vr . Online in iracing, and offline with gts ( controller )

Back