Guess the Metacritic Score - GT7 Edition

• Thread starter Imari
  • 228 comments

What do you think the Critic average on Metacritic will be for GT7?

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 90-94

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 131 37.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 45 12.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • 60-69

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Below 60

Votes: 65 18.7%

• Total voters
Australia
Adelaide
Neomone
Obviously individual critics can vary widely in how they perceive and rate games, but overall averages of the industry seem to be a fairly reliable measure of games. How do you think Gran Turismo 7 will be received by critics?

Feel free to add commentary on why you think so if appropriate.

For reference, other Gran Turismo games have received the following:
Gran Turismo Sport - 75
Gran Turismo 6 - 81
Gran Turismo 5 - 84
Gran Turismo PSP - 74
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 80
Gran Turismo 4 - 89
Gran Turismo 3: A Spec - 95
Gran Turismo 2 - 93
Gran Turismo 1 - 96

I'm kinda curious to see how close the community average here gets to the actual results after release. Obviously, we're at a massive disadvantage because we've only seen a tiny bit of the game compared to what the critics will get to see before they make their judgements. But I think if there's enough information out there for pre-orders then there's probably enough information to have a guess at how the game will be received by the general public.

Going by what they said for GT5, 6 and GTS I think most of the critics will be very positive. Unlike GT5 + 6 it's going to be very visually consistent, no standard cars, no janky framerates. The sounds are vastly improved, a major critique for the PS3 games and the main critiques of GTS was the very small number of cars and tracks and the online eSports focus. The car and track list is now solid enough and most probably won't notice there are no new tracks. The online eSports focus is gone, they'll enjoy the couple of hours they play with cafe mode and all the complimentary modes are solid.

Very few of them called out the awful AI and racing format of GT6 and I don't see that changing this time around. I think the main negatives they'll pick out are the lack of damage modelling, maybe the lack of the latest Supercars, and probably that music rally is a bit naff.

So I could easily see it ending up around the 90-93 mark.

I think it will be one of those games that will divide opinion. Some will be swayed by the eccentric aura with almost unconditional approval, and others will disapprove of GT’s never-ending quest to emphasize things no one really wanted. 79.

Last edited:
80-84

I predict GT7 will score higher than GTSport but not by much. I believe the performance on base PS4 will be an issue and the mandatory online connection too. Maybe the lack of new tracks to the series / relatively small amount of new tracks for a new game will affect the final score.

But there’s still a lot we don’t know so I hope to be proven wrong with all the things we don’t know about such as online features, handling/physics, HUD adjustments, how much grind is needed to unlock tracks/cars, etc.

My bet is a very positive review. I expect it to be less than GT4 (my favorite of all time, I don't think i'm alone) but higher than GT5 (hype is around the same with a much more polished game), so I would say 85-86.

It'll probably get marked down for a lack of a human drama.

Also, interesting that GT4 Prologue isn't on metacritic (EDIT: a quick trawl of a meagre 7 English speaking scores yields a 70% average).

Then again numerical scores are pointless without any qualitative understanding - of course we as fans have that implicitly, so lower scores for any given entry will be put down to our personal pet peeves.

Last edited:
I think the general public and journalists will enjoy it, GT7 will serve as a nice showcase of the PS5 and the game doesn't have any obvious drawbacks that games of the past had.

I'd say mid to high 80s.

You're pretty optimistic, personally I see it hitting 80-85 range.
I'm not so much optimistic, just going by what they said about past games. PD have covered most of the things that they got marked down for.

Last edited:
Going by what they said for GT5, 6 and GTS I think most of the critics will be very positive. Unlike GT5 + 6 it's going to be very visually consistent, no standard cars, no janky framerates. The sounds are vastly improved, a major critique for the PS3 games and the main critiques of GTS was the very small number of cars and tracks and the online eSports focus. The car and track list is now solid enough and most probably won't notice there are no new tracks. The online eSports focus is gone, they'll enjoy the couple of hours they play with cafe mode and all the complimentary modes are solid.

Very few of them called out the awful AI and racing format of GT6 and I don't see that changing this time around. I think the main negatives they'll pick out are the lack of damage modelling, maybe the lack of the latest Supercars, and probably that music rally is a bit naff.

I hope it's the case, but it doesn't have a rewind feature and I saw kids raging about that on Twitter, so, there's that.

I agree with this completely. People also need to remember that when comparing to GTS, some of the Metacritic reviews are probably still based on how GTS was at launch (I'm sure some reviewers have updated their scores with all of the updates, but certainly not all). Meaning GT7 is actually launching with a ton of new tracks, cars, and features vs GTS (GTS is a very different game today compared to at launch).

On paper, compared to the other games at launch, GT7 seems to have fixed basically all of the reviewers' past complaints. Plus with the long wait between "main" entries and the nostalgia factor, I could definitely see GT7 scoring in the low 90s.

Last edited:
IGN will give it a 7 because of "it's difficult I can't get gold!!"
I'm quite optimistic however, i think it'll be near 90.
IGN has Luke Reilly to do most of the racing games. His reviews of GTS and GT6 were pretty spot on. He will almost certainly do the GT7 review as well.

You should probably read some of his reviews instead of just regurgitating memes. IGN has issues as a whole (I still giggle about the Heroes of the Storm 6.5/10 no comeback mechanics fiasco) but the racing game reviews tend to be some of the better ones available.

Didn't know that, thank you @Imari and @Samus !
To be fair I don't know anyone of there, I just remembered their review of Super Monkey Ball on which IGN rated it much lower than expected due to its difficulty, even though the game had an option for people who aren't as skilled as others.

I think 85-90 at worst or 90-95 at best, definitely not 100 considering the always online BS problem and the eventual problems that the game might have and the eventual perfomance issues on the aging PS4 (since most of the players will play there), but I expect a 9/10 at least for what I seen on the state of play and judging how complete and polished the game could be by what the videos shown until now, still keeping my expectations though because I could always be disappointed. Could be a 10/10 though but on that case scenario just for the PS5 version, definitely not on PS4 because it will definitely struggle to keep up with so much graphics, AI, physics + dynamic weather, time humidity, temperature and so much stuff....

So making average of PS4 and PS5 reviews I expect a 90/100 on average lol

I dont think people realise just how hard it is to break the 90 barrier on metacritic today, its much easier back then to get higher score because the amount of game reviewers are much lower than today. IMO it will probably an 83-84, maybe 87 if the single player is excellent with some of the most common complaint is that you have to grind.

If GT7 truly is a game of the “past, present and future”….. which I think it will be, my guess is a 91. The games Biggest Achilles Heel to the core fan will be the AI. The tire model, physics, crash damage etc. are all just minor details or non-existent quips to the casual gamer or reviewer

….. and I’m not quite positive that the major game reviewing entities will take notice of all the aforementioned details like we will

Last edited:
I think most of us are in the ballpark of 8/10. It's a good score for a high quality game with engaging gameplay and plenty of content, but I feel like critics will always knock Gran Turismo for lack of innovation. The lack of ray-tracing through the game will be a knock on it for sure. I can already hear them digging on the lack of cars and tracks, but as we've seen in screenshots, once a widebody has been added to a car it can't be removed which will add variety to your garage. That said, I think this iteration of the game has the most RPG elements that GT has had in a very long time, maybe ever, which in my opinion is an innovation to the basic driving simulator. And it also seems to have the highest degree of simulation than ever - combining those two types of gameplay has been done before but never very successfully.

Last edited:
Back