Guitar helpMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter skylineGTR_guy
  • 34 comments
  • 2,089 views
skylineGTR_guy
So I've decided I want to play guitar. I've never played ever, I think I've touched a guitar like once just to hand it to somone, and I basically have no idea what the heck I'm looking for. So, I come to you guys for help :) (pako? I think you play base but I figure you can help) I'm looking for a basic and cheap guitar, preferably a kit with everything I need to start to learn. I'm not looking to throw a rock concert here, but I do want something I can learn on. The main emphasis here is cheap, as I have a short attention span, but I'll do my best to keep at it and I have atleast 3 firends who play pretty well and are willing to help me learn. Anyway I found this deal at guitar center, seems like a pretty good deal (Cheap, Good reviews etc.) Anyone ever hear of or try this brand before? Any suggestions? Basically any help whatsoever would be appreciated because as I have established I have no idea what I'm doing :)


http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519750/

I just stumbled on this thread as I am also on my own quest. The hard thing where I live is we are really suppresed when It comes to having access to high end gear to try before you buy so I have to rely on others opinions and hopefully experiences.

So what did you decide to go with? Did you get it yet?
 
Pako
I just stumbled on this thread as I am also on my own quest. The hard thing where I live is we are really suppresed when It comes to having access to high end gear to try before you buy so I have to rely on others opinions and hopefully experiences.

So what did you decide to go with? Did you get it yet?

I ended up going with this one

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=1134700506

a fender standard strat. I got a good discount on it and all the gear because our church bought tons of sound equipment from that dealer. I figure once I get better at it I can buy a more expensive one, but right now I have to pay for my trip to europe. Its really hard because right now everything I play sounds like crap to me but as long as I keep practicing I know I'll get better :)
 
Dude! That's an excellent choice for a first guitar. One that should last a very long time. When your ready for a beafer tone, you can always change the pickups. :)

My Fender Bass is an American Standard Jazz. American made, tight neck pocket, well built!

:cheers:
 
Nice choice, you've got a smart pickup layout too, you can really play anything on it with the good whammy and humbucker for the heavier stuff, and my favorite strat sound - single coil in the neck position! There's your Hendrix clean tone right there! That guitar should last a LONG time before you need a better one. I agree, just put better pickups in it at that stage later on...
The amp is just as important to the tone remember (or more so), so all guitars will not sound the best through a little cheap practice amp! Its totally up to you to make it sound good though. Ultimately, its all in the fingers...:)
A bad player can make the best gear in the world sound like utter crap! Conversely, Steve Vai or Hendrix etc playing a $50 acoustic would still sound better than most guys with expensive gear...
 
I have a cheap Brownsville guitar. it has the 3 single coil pickups, ala stratocaster. I got it a month or two ago, and it's serving its purpose. It's actually pretty satisfactory. I'm not complaining about it, that's for sure. It's a lefty, as I play left-handed, so I had a very limited selection on TOP of my limited budget.

anyway, i also have a digitech death metal pedal and I got a brand new marshall amp today, which is pictured here:
dsc043671vo.jpg


ain't she beautiful? Also, here is the pic of my guitar(s). my old (VERY old. way before my time.) gibson acoustic is behind the brownsville.
dsc037832lg.jpg


edit: I'd advise against getting a guitar research VL-10 amplifier. It crapped out on me just after the return policy expired, but was so cheap that I didn't bother to return it. I don't know if mine was just defective or what, but, for the 40 bucks it cost, I wasn't going to bother fixing it. (thus, i got the marshall. hahaha.)
 
Back