Guitar TriviaMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danoff
  • 39 comments
  • 1,619 views

Danoff

Premium
Messages
34,431
United States
Mile High City
The gun trivia thread got me thinking about how there are some guitar nuts on this site... and I figured it might be fun to have a "guess that guitar" thread.... not that I expect to participate in it at all, I suck at this stuff. Still, it's fun to watch you guys geek out.


I'll kick it off easy.
2001_les2.jpg
 
Is it a Gibson 1960 Les Paul Standard VOS Electric in Washed Cherry Sunburst finish?
 
Is it a Gibson 1960 Les Paul Standard VOS Electric in Washed Cherry Sunburst finish?

I was going for Gibson Les Paul, but I think you got it right. Your turn.
 
OK, here's mine...

cheatingpieceofcraprj3.jpg
 
Some Eko?

I suck at id'ing acoustics...
 
Yeah, I know its not a DR-100 but without the Headstock, it would be hard to determine, especially on an acoustic.
 
The rectangular inlay make me believe it is not a Martin.
I'm thinking Wasburn D-46, or maybe an Ibanez...
 
Looks like Pako is the winner. It's a Martin D-45. (There are too many Martins to guess exactly which one it is.)

Your turn, Pako.
 
Alright. I really wanted to show this one because it's such a fantastic piece, but since the Conklin name is plastard all over it I'll just show it off:




Instead of the Conklin, lets do this one. It's an odd piece, but the design is familar:

 
Alright. I really wanted to show this one because it's such a fantastic piece, but since the Conklin name is plastard all over it I'll just show it off:

11 strings? Seriously? BTW I have no idea about the one you posted, we'll have to rely on solid to figure that out.
 
:eek: Wow, I didn't even know basses had 11 strings. On topic, I have no idea what the 7 string bass is.
 
If it goes on too long I'll submit something more 'common'. Really, custom Luthier guitars should not be submitted as only a very select few would be able to guess. What do you think? Submit something more of a 'production' instrument?
 
The 11-string one's insane! You probably need to have incredibly long fingers to reach the lower strings in the normal hand position...

Oh, and the bass body looks to be a Standard Strat, except the knobs are different...

Hmmm...Fender Cyclone?
 
:eek: Wow, I didn't even know basses had 11 strings. On topic, I have no idea what the 7 string bass is.

You know they even make 12 string basses?
 
Yeah, but the 12 strings are made in three rows, so the neck isn't that much thicker than a 4 string one, but 11 strings in a line is borderline insane...
 
Alright, sorry for that.... So no more boutique basses. For the record it was a 7-string Benavente Jazz.

Here's another one from our friends in Canada. What makes these instruments unique is their fanned fret design:


and this one as well:
 
Not a clue, but I've never seen fanned frets before. I assume that requires a custom tuning, too. What are the advantages?
 
Being able to have longer strings on your lower notes and shorter strings for your higher notes. The tunings are standard EADG on the 4 string, BEADGC on the Sixer. Longer strings, piano like sustain. It's like having a 36" scale bass for the lower notes (some people like the longer scale basses for their throaty low end) and a 32" scale for the higher notes. It really comes down to different tone and feel on the strings as far as tension goes. Personally I see it as a little ridiculous for a 4 string but see it very necessary on say that 11-string Custom Coklin although they chose not to fan the frets on that build.
 
Ok, sorry for killing the thread guys. Here's a easy one...but what makes this one cool is the top is Carbon Fiber.

 
Yeah, but the 12 strings are made in three rows, so the neck isn't that much thicker than a 4 string one, but 11 strings in a line is borderline insane...

Not necessarily....
 
Ok, sorry for killing the thread guys. Here's a easy one...but what makes this one cool is the top is Carbon Fiber.


It's an Ovation, from the Adamas guitar range.
 
notafendervr1.jpg

I erased the name from the headstock BTW. Kinda hard, but it's still pretty easy if you know your guitars.
 
Is it a Squire Strat?
 
Back