Hamburg's Prototyp Museum is the Coolest Car Shrine You've (Probably) Never Heard Of

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by GTPNewsWire, May 13, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. TexRex

TexRex Premium

Yay, Denzel!

3. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

That and the Polensky were the stars for me. I had never heard of either until that day, but there's something so right about them both.

TexRex likes this.
  4. Carbon_6

Carbon_6

Looks like a visit to Hamburg just earned itself a spot on my to do list. ;)

5. T_Exige

T_Exige Premium

Great, didn't know about this one!

Another great place in Germany is Classic Remise in Düsseldorf.

6. zeptrans

zeptrans

Many unknown cars, and good quality.

7. Andre75

Andre75

Make sure to call ahead and ask if the lower-level "Schaudepot" is open on the day you visit. Half of the cars are in there (less than 50 in total), and it's sometimes closed for rearrangement. Like it was for me, last week.
    Oh, and when you're there make sure to visit the Maritime Museum just round the corner. I have zero interest in anything maritime (or so I thought), but that is perhaps the greatest museum I've visited (3 times so far).
    Another oh: Hamburg's (arguably Germany's) biggest tourist attraction, the Miniatur Wunderland, is also round the next corner... : )

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    curtis 1-8-7 and SlipZtrEm like this.
  8. JCH8r

JCH8r

Great article, thanks for the tip. I contacted them about a Borgward racing car from the 1950's but they said it is no longer in the collection. Borgward, Hansa and Goliath - all part of the Borgward group - were manufactured down the road in Bremen, until the company was shuttered by the government to pay off loans. A very questionable move, especially as the 1.5 liter Borgward was the most powerful engine meeting the new F1 specs of 1961. But racing was a hobby at Borgward compared to Porsche and Mercedes (before 1955).

SlipZtrEm likes this.
  9. nico4711

nico4711

I was there last year and can absolutely recommend a visit. If you ever make to Hamburg, go there. Here are some more pictures.
    Prototyp Half a Porsche.jpg Prototyp LMP Porsche.jpg Prototyp Nick Heidfelds first.jpg Prototyp Peterhansel.jpg

SlipZtrEm and curtis 1-8-7 like this.