Handlebars for motorbike games.

Not from what I'm aware of. Mainly because it would be so extremely difficult to simulate. The rider's body plays a big part in riding, the handlebars of the sim equipment would need to take into account lean angle and steering input. And riding is usually done mostly through feel, and that feel would be lost more so than with a gaming steering wheel. Though it is possible to do, it would still be sort of ridiculous.

The only way I could see it working was with something similar to those motorbike arcade games that have a full size plastic motorbike, though by that point you could just buy a real motorbike, so why would you?

There were some for the PS2 I remember, dunno if you could pick them up second hand somewhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006LT0B/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/p14gamhw.htm#bars

The Thrustmaster handlebars look good.

volan-freestyler-bike-thrustmaster-usb-slika-5679845.jpg

👍

Last edited:
Not from what I'm aware of. Mainly because it would be so extremely difficult to simulate. The rider's body plays a big part in riding, the handlebars of the sim equipment would need to take into account lean angle and steering input. And riding is usually done mostly through feel, and that feel would be lost more so than with a gaming steering wheel. Though it is possible to do, it would still be sort of ridiculous.

The only way I could see it working was with something similar to those motorbike arcade games that have a full size plastic motorbike, though by that point you could just buy a real motorbike, so why would you?

Basically all of that.

I can't ever remember using the steering on a sportbike apart from turning in the opposite direction to make the bike fall into the corner. The steering hardly moves either, it's only a few degrees, but it's extremely stiff.

A special controller would be less immersive than a plain controller.

I used to have a slew of ATV, snowmobile, and motorcycle racing games (Tourist Trophy by PD) for PS2 and this is what I used.

Yamaha_Motor_Sport_Controller_Image.jpg

They seemed to work very well and added additional realism to each game I used them on. They worked very well on Tourist Trophy. I haven't seen anything for PS3 though.

I have an old thrustmaster freestyle controller. Its for the pc but i use it on moto gp13...takes a bit of sorting which button does what...but options enables most functions to be used..i ride with auto gears so no problem. None presently on major auction site..

Big time necro, but anyone in 2018 doing a Google search for handlebar controllers for PS4 Ride 2 (and hopefully the upcoming Isle Of Man TT game) on the PS4, yes you can use them. Get a Game Elements Yamaha MS-1 handlebar controller for the PS2 and a Brook Game Controller Super Converter (PS2 to PS3/PS4). Here's a quick video I just made. I'll record it again with better lighting and audio. It was $30 for the Brook Converter (Amazon) and the MS-1 was $15 (eBay, but most are about $30-$45).

***Update: the handlebars work great with Isle Of Man TT: Ride on the Edge on the PS4. I think it will also work on any bike game that allows you to assign buttons/controls.***

Last edited:
Nice enough rig Gutter, I hope you have the pin in the ejection seat. I gotta get my Hotas up and operational again, go and A-10 a bunch of terrorists. The new flying sims are fantastic.
You and Aeroplop need to get together and engineer a real bike rig.

Thanks Mike. I sound like a tool (more than usual) in the video and the quality of it sucks, but it gets the point across. I was just excited to get it all working properly. Everyone said it wouldn't work (PS2 handlebars on a PS4), but I think that was before Brook put out their PS2-->to-->PS3/4 adapter. Hopefully it will work properly with IOM TT and as good as it does on Ride 2. Steve and I have been trading emails on building motorcycle sim rigs. I'm currently modding an old PS4 Dualshock controller to use as the basis for the bike rig control, then I can also use it for a foot-shifter and footbrake too. In this video I was using the PS4 and TV screen from my flight rig to test out Ride 2. The flight rig (HOTAS 4, Thrustmaster MFD panels & TFRP rudder pedals and other control panels I made and wired up via Rasberry Pi and Arduino) work great on War Thunder and I even have an "Rii i7 mini" gyro/air mouse hooked up to it for head tracking. You can use the PS4 camera, but it's sketchy (imprecise) as hell and the Rii is cheap at about $15-$20.

See you tonight in the race lobby. Can't wait to run that Ferrari!

Last edited:
Hi, does anybody make handle bars for motorbike games on PS3 or PS4 or PC ?.

Nath.
Apart from low speed maneuvers such as parking or a turn in the road, you don't turn the handle bars to turn a bike - you apply pressure in the opposite direction to the turn, but the bars do not turn in any real sense - so I'm not sure what a handlebar controller would bring to the table - other than be even less immersive than using a standard controller.

Tilt control is probably the most sensible control method for bike games - perhaps,

@daz: You’re right that a regular controller is fine for a motorcycle racing game versus “needing” handlebars, especially without actual leaning capability (like the old arcade game where you sat on a replica motorcycle and leaned to help turn). I just like using the bars because it’s more natural for me to twist the throttle and squeeze the brake lever rather than use a thumb stick and shoulder buttons/triggers. I was able to set my bars up to countersteer like I would on a real bike. Same goes for my flight sims: A controller works fine but a HOTAS and rudder pedals are more immersive and “natural”. I’m not saying that specialized controllers (steering wheel, handlebars, HOTAS joystick) will make you better or faster, but I enjoy it. I’ve seen plenty of fast guys in my PCars 2 league on controllers who are faster than those of us with full sim rigs. To each their own. I just enjoy building sim rigs as a hobby and wanted to let others who might be interested in a handlebar controller know what’s available.

Hi All, Im getting TT IOM Ride on the Edge, next week - PC version. Ive been looking for
motorbike game controllers for the PC. I cant afford that really expensive custom built one.
Does anyone know if the Yamaha MS-1 coupled with the Brook Game Controller will work
on the PC???? thx

@Donny: Here’s a link to the Brook adapter
http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/25596261/
and it says that it will work on the PC as well as the PS3/4. Not having tried it on a PC I can’t vouch for how well it works. I bought my adapter from Amazon and they’ll let you return it if it doesn’t work. Watch the YouTube video I posted above and in the video comments I cover how to set degrees of rotation/sensitivity and button assignments. I contacted Brook and let them know their adapter works with the MS-1 handlebars, and they added that info to their website. If you get it, please post here about how well it works. Brooks makes some good adapters, and I used one to run my G27 & DF:GT on the PS4 before I bought my T300.

Last edited:
Thx for the info GB. I used to have a Thrustmasater Freestyler Bike and that worked quite well but i cant seem to find any
for sale anywhere.
Theres a guy who makes some nice ones to order, the HS2
but I cant aford it, starts at about £350 for basic build. The brooks controller is about £30 and i can get the Yamaha MS-1
for about £50 from USA.
Will play game first with Xbox controller linked to PC then get controller later I think. Ill let you know how it goes.

To start with the Cruden is gonna cost you a fortune but at least its a real simulator. The LeanGP has hardly any controls and the thing cant control the bike as it should in a game. The other thing is purely and excersize machine that has no controls at all you just follow a video!!!

Heres my Hs3 PRO-HE in TT IOM

And Ride 3

More videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls

And my new website: http://iasystems.tk

Just working on a new sit on frame design and upgrades for DOF Reality motion system. I desperately need to start a Kickstarter campaign lol

DD

Big time necro, but anyone in 2018 doing a Google search for handlebar controllers for PS4 Ride 2 (and hopefully the upcoming Isle Of Man TT game) on the PS4, yes you can use them. Get a Game Elements Yamaha MS-1 handlebar controller for the PS2 and a Brook Game Controller Super Converter (PS2 to PS3/PS4). Here's a quick video I just made. I'll record it again with better lighting and audio. It was $30 for the Brook Converter (Amazon) and the MS-1 was $15 (eBay, but most are about $30-$45).

***Update: the handlebars work great with Isle Of Man TT: Ride on the Edge on the PS4. I think it will also work on any bike game that allows you to assign buttons/controls.***

If anyone is after a brand new one of these, there's this guy selling them on eBay US for $50. 21 sold & over 10 still available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3705488522...&_trksid=p2045573.c100667.m2042&ul_noapp=true

Back