Handling vs Power and Handling

VYPA-SQUAD_Ace/YungThugga08
I've been having a debate with a couple of my friends reguarding who have better tunes in their cars..

I have/had a Stingray Corvette that I had tuned up to 600pp/650hp that I dubbed the C7 Z06 that could run around Nurburgring at around 6:35. (Yeah, I know that's kinda slow, compared to some of you wizards..)

I have another friend who tuned his Stingray to the max, over 900hp, and ran the Nurburgring in 6:29.

And another friend of mine who adores the SLS AMG, tuned his to the max, also over the 900hp mark, and ran a 6:28..

I made the argument that because since the Stingray is such a good all around car, and because of my tuning, (which I'm pretty proud of), I could easily beat them both if I was up around their numbers in horsepower; but because I'm over 250hp less than those guys, its pretty good that I can keep up with those guys until the final straight where they pull away..

What do you guys think?

Power is useless if there's not enough traction. 900 BHP looks nice on paper, but if you can only use 600 of them, then what's the point?

Yeah, I completely understand. They don't though. I first started understanding that back at the end of GT5's life. I stopped putting max power into my cars unless I just wanna run at SSRX, but other than that, I'm not putting that much into my cars anymore and seeing if I can run at Nurburgring with it.

Attachments

• 2014-09-08 21.27.00.jpg
    2014-09-08 21.27.00.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 0
I've been having a debate with a couple of my friends reguarding who have better tunes in their cars..

I have/had a Stingray Corvette that I had tuned up to 600pp/650hp that I dubbed the C7 Z06 that could run around Nurburgring at around 6:35. (Yeah, I know that's kinda slow, compared to some of you wizards..)

I have another friend who tuned his Stingray to the max, over 900hp, and ran the Nurburgring in 6:29.

And another friend of mine who adores the SLS AMG, tuned his to the max, also over the 900hp mark, and ran a 6:28..

I made the argument that because since the Stingray is such a good all around car, and because of my tuning, (which I'm pretty proud of), I could easily beat them both if I was up around their numbers in horsepower; but because I'm over 250hp less than those guys, its pretty good that I can keep up with those guys until the final straight where they pull away..

What do you guys think?
Back when I used to race the Nurb, it was during the 500pp reign. I always made sure my cars had a 50/50 weight distribution, a custom suspension set-up, LSD, and a custom transmission. Power came as a second thought to me because a lot of HPs is useless in a car that is difficult to handle it, trying to throw it's weight around.
When I do go to the Nurb 500pp races, I'll take out my R32 GT-R. It has near 400 HP, custom suspension, custom LSD, custom transmission, even weight distribution, and a good weight shave off original. In the corners, it can hang with the big dogs, but it's downfall is the final and major straightaway. Over all, it came off the mainstream 500pp cars by a considerable amount of seconds, but remove the straights and it can put up a fight.

So, if there is a side to pick, I would be on your side when it comes to tunes. You have a good balance tune which you can drive at your own pace, and hard at it. Your friend may have the power advantage, but he has to be very cautious on too much power in the corners. That's why I choose to remove weight instead of adding power. There's less mass and stress on the wheels as a result. Plus, power-to-weight should lower the gap between the two cars by a little.

I remember playing around with the Cougar on GT4. After many laps I found that I was actually faster on the ring if I did not use the stage 3 tuning on it. The car drive really well in the 400-500hp range but when getting up around 700hp it became much harder to keep it on the track and as a result the lap would always be a bit slower than if I used less HP.

Note that it is not that I can't drive the high power cars there, I am fine in an LMP with 1000+hp or the FGT or whatever just something about the car doesn't lend itself to that track when you over power it.

For serious trial runs, i'd tune the car handling with just a bit of power (usually only 50-100hp bump). But sometimes i maxed out a car then take it to nurb just to have fun with wrestling 900+ hp.

There is no substitute for horsepower. Give me the power and I'll figure out how to get it to the ground.

There is no substitute for horsepower. Give me the power and I'll figure out how to get it to the ground.

There is some truth to that, in GT anyway. In Forza that is not always the case as grip especially tires in Forza raises the PP as does power. Given that there is a trade off that must be done between power and grip to get a car to compete in a given class. Depending on the track it may be power heavy or grip heavy.

In the case of the Cougar I mentioned in GT4 it just got to be to fast with more power and really became a beast to drive when you clipped the curbs in the corner. Of course that was years ago and I have had thousands of laps on that track since then so may be different now ;)

I know I entered it into a race with my friends here a while back at 500PP against their race cars and smoked em with it and only running 450hp

My thing is, when it comes down to it, my friends and I have different preferences when it comes down to it. I feel I don't have to raise my pp/hp by much to beat them, because I usually just got beat by them on the final straight.

I used to be you johnny, max the power and still put it to the road. The tunes I made for them worked. After doing that for a while, I wanted to see where my setup could take me. So that's where I stared doing the setup that's on the Stingray. I did do a 2 lap online Nurburgring race, where the Stingray went from 9th to 1st after about 10 corners and ended up winning by over 1 minute.

I guess I just matured.. I don't know..

Last edited:
You are along the lines of how I tune my cars. Unless I'm tuning for a certain PP level in a Seasonal TT event, all of my cars are tuned with no power upgrades, or weight reduction. The only thing I add is the suspension, transmission, and LSD. I don't change the oil or even the tires from stock. Also no aero. I've been tuning this way for quite awhile now just because it is my preference. Even though I tune this way, there is still no substitute for raw power when the situation warrants it. A great tune with the proper power to match the track = winning.

Yeah, to me, I've lost the fun of getting a bunch of high powered cars and racing them.. I rather take a car that isn't maxxed, put q setup on it that I can work with, and try to beat a high powered car with it.

Plus, I do all my own tunes. So, if I do beat a high powered car on a track, its more rewarding to me..

I usually pick a point for each car. I try to determine where the car best fits and then build it to that level. I have lots of 450, 500, 550 and 600 cars in my garage now as well as some 350, 400, 650,750 ...

Very few are max upgraded but some are.

I usually pick a point for each car. I try to determine where the car best fits and then build it to that level. I have lots of 450, 500, 550 and 600 cars in my garage now as well as some 350, 400, 650,750 ...

Very few are max upgraded but some are.
Same as what I do on GT6. So for my '07 GTR I tuned it to 580PP, then tuned the Spec V to 600 and the Black Edition to 620. I kept most Supercars in the 580-620PP range and most sports cars in the 530-580PP range.

I do everything to each car and detune them to suit pp races when I need them. It's a bit of an ocd issue I think, I don't like knowing there may be a car buried in my garage without everything bought for it lol.

Edit* Plus, I enjoy the challenge of having to use throttle control to get the most out of a car, rather than de-tune it so I can mash the throttle to the floor out of every corner.

I don't have a certain range for cars, I just put them somewhere. But I haven't played GT6 in months. I kinda miss it now.. my son thinks he can beat me in a racing game, so I want to put him through his paces..

Keep in mind that if you upgrade parts of the car to get into 900 HP or more, you have to tune the car itself in a way to handle all that much power and to get the most out of it.... maybe something that your frends didnt do, because you can definitely beat a 650 HP car and by some margin.

Also there is the driver skill. Maybe your friends are worse drivers than you...

Keep in mind that if you upgrade parts of the car to get into 900 HP or more, you have to tune the car itself in a way to handle all that much power and to get the most out of it.... maybe something that your frends didnt do, because you can definitely beat a 650 HP car and by some margin.

Also there is the driver skill. Maybe your friends are worse drivers than you...

Yeah, there's that too. Maybe they are. Guess I gotta look into it more.

Back