birthday-cake-oreos-package-blog-del0312.jpg
060910OreoCupcakes1.png

2009_02_05-OreoCake03.jpg
OREO+Sandwich.GIF

IMG_0405.JPG
deepfried-oreos-sweet-suit.jpg

Oreo-Ice-Cream.jpg
oreo+stack+of+36.jpg

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/oreo-cookie-celebrates-hundredth-birthday?gt1=47001

Tuesday, March 6, 2012, marks a momentous occasion in history — Oreo cookie's birthday. And it's not just any birthday; Oreo is turning the big 100. That's right, Oreo fans around the globe have been twisting, licking, and dunking America's favorite cookie for an entire century.

According to The New York Times, it all started on March 6, 1912, when The National Biscuit Company sold its first Oreo sandwich cookies to S.C. Thuesen, a grocer in Hoboken, New Jersey — and the rest was history.

The New York Post reports that the Oreo cookie was born at what is now a New York tourist hotspot and home to Food Network Studios, Chelsea Market. Chelsea Market was once the headquarters for the National Biscuit Company, which would later go by Nabisco. While the headquarters, the owning company, and the cookie itself have undergone many changes throughout the years, the world's love for Oreos has continued to grow. The design on the outside of the classic cookie alone has changed three times, from a simple wreath around the Oreo name to today's complicated design complete with a serrated edge.

While it was always a sandwich cookie, the Oreo started out as the "Oreo Biscuit" sold alongside two other cookies: The Mother Goose and the Veronese. By 1921, the Oreo had surpassed its cookie counterparts and was sold on its own as the "Oreo Sandwich," and later as the "Oreo Crème Sandwich." The cookie the world knows and loves today is dubbed the "Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookie," although it comes in many forms. Oreo Cookie variations have included a lemon-cream flavor, Double and Triple Stuf Oreos, and even an "inside-out" version that featured vanilla cookies with chocolate filling.

Over the years, various countries have released their own special Oreo flavor profiles. For example, the best selling Oreo in Argentina is the "Duo," a package that includes some cookies with banana filling and others with dulce de leche filling. In China, consumers can purchase green tea ice cream-flavored Oreos and a variety called "Double Fruit" that has different fruit-flavored fillings.

Since they were first baked in 1912, more than 362 billion Oreos have been consumed worldwide. Now, 100 years later, Kraft Foods is planning a centennial birthday bash for all the Oreo lovers out there. While the celebration is mostly made up of a new marketing campaign featuring the slogan, "Celebrate the kid inside," there is also an edible way to participate in the Oreo celebration. Kraft Foods created a limited-edition cookie called the Birthday Cake Oreo. From the outside these special cookies look like the classic Oreo, but when consumers twists open the cookie, they will find frosting speckled with colored sprinkles.

What's your favorite kind of Oreo Cookie? Will you buy the limited edition Birthday Cake Oreos?

If you're feeling a little nostalgic for your old friend the Oreo, you can try whipping up one of these recipes that are made a little sweeter by the addition of, you guessed it, Oreo cookies.

Love Oreos (but only with milk). My friends gf had some of the birthday cake oreos and made the mistake of leaving them out, needless to say they ended up empty in the trash can lol.

Same here. I can only eat Oreos with milk. I have recently been hooked on the peanut butter Oreos. My wife has been hooked on the strawberry Oreos lately. I pretty much grew up eating Oreos my entire life. Yummy!!
american-peanut-butter-oreo-cookies-limited-stocks--12523-p.jpg

And there was me thinking we had a user called Oreo, who was happily playing GT5 and using GT Planet at the magnificent age of 100 :dopey:

Happy Birthday you delicious little biscuits! :cheers:

You are the reason my border collie is the little trick pulling pooch she is today :)

Yes. the op is a cruel reminder of both my hunger and my lactose intolerance. Didn't realize the Oreo had been around for that long, but I do enjoy them.

spunwicked
And there was me thinking we had a user called Oreo, who was happily playing GT5 and using GT Planet at the magnificent age of 100 :dopey:

Happy Birthday you delicious little biscuits! :cheers:

You are the reason my border collie is the little trick pulling pooch she is today :)

Wait, you give them to your dog?

Slightly random thread :odd:
Then again that's what the Rumble strips about. :lol:

Happy 100th to Oreo :cheers:

Happy 100th birthday Oreos :cheers:

(crap, that didn't work)

I've loved Oreos ever since I went to Canada in 1983 - after that, relatives used to bring them over to the UK whenever they visited us, which was only every few years. Nowadays, of course, Oreos are easily available - although they are still not massively widespread here - I've spoken to several people in the last couple of years who have never heard of them, which is pretty shocking!

Not so sure about this though: Dominos Oreo desert pizza... :ill: Saw it in San Francisco a few years ago... didn't have the guts to try it though...

285.oreo.pizza.092807.jpg

I love Oreo's, they are pretty much the only cookie I eat outside of home made ones.

Not so sure about this though: Dominos Oreo desert pizza... :ill: Saw it in San Francisco a few years ago... didn't have the guts to try it though...

I tried that once, I even remember the date as it was the same day that the 35W bridge collapsed. It was terrible(and so was the cookie pizza).

Reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid. My mum had bought a pizza from the local supermarket and was given some weird pizza/ice cream hybrid thing instead. The 4(ish) year old me certainly wanted to eat it and was dismayed when my mum (upon noticing the mistake) decided to keep it and take it back to the store.

So yes, even in a small town in Scotland in the early 90's, things as disgusting as that existed.

Does anyone else take the top off and eat the icing first?

Of course :D That's how I've always done it.

And lets not forget Ore "O"s cereal from the 90s. They forced you to add milk to your Oreo, just as they were originally intended to be.

51n9gjxcYIL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

And lets not forget Ore "O"s cereal from the 90s. They forced you to add milk to your Oreo, just as they were originally intended to be.

51n9gjxcYIL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg
I used to eat those lol, they turned your milk a blue color.

Oreo O's were okay. Not great but okay.

I'm really dying to try the new Birthday Cake filling. Is it anything like the Birthday Cake ice cream flavor?

I did meet an Oreo I didn't like though. Strawberry Milk Shake Oreo didn't appeal to me.

I was wondering why we started carrying those.I thought this whole time it was just a new flavor.I had no idea it was their 100th birthday.

Interesting! It's nice to see Oreo lasted for a century, and is still iconic in everyone's snack lists. I prefer the original chocolate ones with milk 👍

I'm going to try to find the cake as well. Looks very promising :drool:

Sam48

I can't find them anymore!

TBH, I thought it was a member's birthday who went by the name "Oreo". I was thinking to myself "Wow, someone on GTP turned 100 y.o.?!"

Back