Harmonic's Tuning Guides

• Thread starter Harmonic
  • 26 comments
United States
Farmington, MI
iiHarmonic
iiHarmonic
Hey all, this thread will be dedicated to all of my tuning guide videos!

How to Tune Gears
How to Tune Suspension - Part 1: Natural Frequencies and Dampers
How to Tune Suspension - Part 2: Camber, Toe, and Roll Bars
Do NOT Use Rotational G for Optimizing a Tune
The PP System Is Broken...
Determining When Ride Height Is Too Low

First on the list is the guide to tuning gears. Some see gearing as a dark art, but I've covered enough in this video to help anyone get started on tuning their own gearbox. Let me know your questions and comments here!

Last edited:
Great video note to add you can normally tell if your doing your car good or bad well your moving the gear by the1/8 1/4 mile times

Cheers buddy! Subbed!

Jerome

Hey man these videos are great! I have to say I'm having issues tuning rwd mustangs mostly, I really hope you put a guide out for fwd and rwd. That would be amazing

These are fantastic! I’ve always wanted to get better at tuning in GT since the very early days but I tend to get overwhelmed and give up and defer to many of the expert tuners on here. You’ve done a great job of explaining the different facets here. A guide for tuning the LSD would be really welcome as that’s a mystery to me!

One practical question is do you have a go to test track? Somewhere to do your initial settings?

So in general....if my car doesn't turn at slower speeds - what settings do I need to tinker with?

Last edited:
These are great so helpful.
Just wish you got paid per mile you drive when your testing, spending 30 mins to a hour on the test track tweaking so easy to do .

Also go i wish there was a quicker way to the settings menu.

This game would be amazing if you could pull into the pits and have the setting sheet pop up during time trial

Really great work. I've been playing gt since 1... and have only ever got into tuning a couple of times as its just too technical for me for the most part, but your videos are really nicely laid out. So I appreciate that a ton.

One practical question is do you have a go to test track? Somewhere to do your initial settings?
I usually tune per track, and if I notice any common themes between multiple tracks, I'll use those settings as my base setup. That usually consists of things like soft bump, stiff rebound, stiff ARBs, low camber, etc.

So in general....if my car doesn't turn at slower speeds - what settings do I need to tinker with?
It could be many things - you could need more ride height to prevent the car from bottoming out, you could need softer natural frequency at the front, or maybe even a bit of toe out on the front will help. It's hard to say without seeing the setup, so play around with softening some front settings and see if that helps!

We have an interesting topic this time... Some people have been tuning by choosing settings that maximize rotational G, but there are some cases where this value doesn't always mean faster cornering! Here's an example of this phenomenon:

Hey all, this thread will be dedicated to all of my tuning guide videos!

How to Tune Gears
How to Tune Suspension - Part 1: Natural Frequencies and Dampers

First on the list is the guide to tuning gears. Some see gearing as a dark art, but I've covered enough in this video to help anyone get started on tuning their own gearbox. Let me know your questions and comments here!

This doesnt really show anything of the gear tuning, just the power curve and what shifting early and late looks like

This doesnt really show anything of the gear tuning, just the power curve and what shifting early and late looks like
Most people that actually watched past 9:09 would disagree with you. 🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure it does… it talks about early and late shifting with regards to the power curve and then goes on to talk a fair bit about how to tune gears

Most people that actually watched past 9:09 would disagree with you. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe i worded it wrong…the vid doesnt show you actually sliding the gears back and forth and showing how it fits in the ideal power band you talk about.

Im having a hard time with how this game explains tuning

20829313969224539.jpg
bought a new car , stright to the livery personalise the thing then straight to the test track.

Watched all your vids over made some post it notes and set about tweeking away .

(Lots of other peoples tunes are super handy but some of them look a kinda default especially when they haven't touched the dampers or diff and I suspect its the way i drive too that leaves them lacking ... after all its someone else's tune)

So armed with my notes 30 mins later im 3 seconds faster per lap and way easier and consistent.

Feels my car now too .

Absolute top work 👏 cant thank ya enough

Back