Has GT5 broken the curse....

  • Thread starter Thread starter 87chevy
  • 23 comments
  • 1,834 views
Messages
1,271
Of horrible engine audio?

Does every car still sound the same regardless of engine size?
 
Although there's some variation, the engines are still way off. The Sprint Cup cars aren't even close.
 
Some cars are better than others, I have to crank up my subwoofer to get a good low end sound. Doesn't sound very good when I use headphones.
 
Of horrible engine audio?

Does every car still sound the same regardless of engine size?

To me quite a few of the premium cars sound very good, however al the standard cars still sound rubbish.
 
I think the cars sound amazing. Car's engines don't sound the same in their power band as they do nearing redline. I think many neglect to think of this. My personal car's engine sound (Evo IX) is spot on from 1,000 rpm up to redline.
 
I think the cars sound amazing. Car's engines don't sound the same in their power band as they do nearing redline. I think many neglect to think of this. My personal car's engine sound (Evo IX) is spot on from 1,000 rpm up to redline.

I have to agree, my 350z sounds exactly the same when it starts up.👍
 
I find if you fit a race exhaust to the Ferraris or Lamborghinis..well they don't even sounds like cars anymore ?
 
I have to agree, my 350z sounds exactly the same when it starts up.👍
...and the VQ has one of the most recognizable engine notes of any production car. 👍

I find if you fit a race exhaust to the Ferraris or Lamborghinis..well they don't even sounds like cars anymore ?
They sound like monsters. :) I love the sound of my Murcielago SV and Enzo. Sounds like if you hear them coming, get out of the way.
 
Are you describing premium or standard cars though?
 
The 458 sounds terrible. The Enzo not too bad but still far from the real thing. It gets a little better when you are watching a replay from the TV cameras. Still, a huge disappointment.
 
I have a subaru P1 irl and no. The game is no where near right.

A subarus flat 4 should pop and purr at low revs. And scream at high. And the dump valve should be way louder, you can't hear it outside the car? Whats that about- even my little old 5 turbo used to turn heads 200 yards down the road. The sound sucks on this game imo. But its all small stuff realy, when the game drives the best yet.
 
My Miata sounds like it has a nasty V8 in it...
 
In my opinion, the sounds are bogus, which is horrific considering how many years they've had to improve that, like almost everything else in the game, apart from the actual driving itself.
 
Since I drive a Range Rover and have owned mostly them and BMW's that's the only cars I can really compare other than what I hear on TV or maybe passing by me on the freeway. So most of the sounds are based on what I "think" they should sound like. The Minolta sounds GREAT to me as does the Italia and even the RM ZR1 even though I'm an anti vette guy. The lambos sound pretty good as well. I am more into the super cars and race cars so I haven't driven what I call the "daily" drivers much. Those would be the cars you see on the road daily like GTR, Miatas, WRX and the such.

Being "naive" in GT5 has many benefits. The fact that prologue was my intro to the series and that even though I love racing and watching it on the rare occasions that I can (have only been on a race track on my Ducati motorcycle) the game is very good to me because all I have is my mind to compare it to. I get in the Minolta ane it feels how I pictured a car like that would feel. The Italia sounds to me like the ones I see on the street.
 
The 458 sounds terrible. The Enzo not too bad but still far from the real thing. It gets a little better when you are watching a replay from the TV cameras. Still, a huge disappointment.
I still don't understand how people can say cars like the Enzo, 458, McLaren F1, Murcielago SV, Zonda R etc. sound unrealistic. How many times have to been around an Enzo or any of the others (in real life) where the engine is being beat up as it would be in GT5?
 
I still don't understand how people can say cars like the Enzo, 458, McLaren F1, Murcielago SV, Zonda R etc. sound unrealistic. How many times have to been around an Enzo or any of the others (in real life) where the engine is being beat up as it would be in GT5?

You can easily hear these cars on TV with the plethora of automotive shows out there. There are also far less exotic cars in the game which most people hear every day, making the comparison of those cars quite easy.
 
^ With a bunch of background noise...

The engine note GT5 is trying to catch is one from the cockpit. I'm quite certain putting a microphone to the engine to record the sound it makes yields nice results. This is what the Gran Turismo series has always done and I don't see how it can be off from what it actually sounds like. If you have a problem, race on muting.
 
^ With a bunch of background noise...

The engine note GT5 is trying to catch is one from the cockpit. I'm quite certain putting a microphone to the engine to record the sound it makes yields nice results. This is what the Gran Turismo series has always done and I don't see how it can be off from what it actually sounds like.

Ok, let's set an example, the NASCAR series Sprint Cup car which I am very, VERY familiar with having attended numerous races (I'd kill for Watkins Glen to be in GT5). I can tell you first hand that they sound nothing like what they do in the game.

Let's take it one step further. Up until 2 weeks ago I owned a Dodge Ram with the 5.7L V8 (I traded it because of Gas prices and reliability issues). So from personal experience I can tell you that the Ram sounded nothing like it did in the game. The game makes it sound like a rice burner.
 
Surround sound is wrong on some (not all) of the cars as well. Some front engine cars have the engine sound coming from the rear speakers, same goes for Rear and mid engine mounted cars as well (Engine sounds come from the front speakers).
 
Ok, let's set an example, the NASCAR series Sprint Cup car which I am very, VERY familiar with having attended numerous races (I'd kill for Watkins Glen to be in GT5). I can tell you first hand that they sound nothing like what they do in the game.
I have been to the Houston Grand Prix where I saw/heard all of the Le Mans race cars. They nearly made my ears bleed, especially the C6R. I say if you turn the sound on GT5 way way way up it may be similar.
 
I have been to the Houston Grand Prix where I saw/heard all of the Le Mans race cars. They nearly made my ears bleed, especially the C6R. I say if you turn the sound on GT5 way way way up it may be similar.

It's not just the volume though, it's the sound in general. Every Car in GT 5 seems to sound little too much like a rice burner. I can go on and on siting examples.
 
Ok, let's set an example, the NASCAR series Sprint Cup car which I am very, VERY familiar with having attended numerous races (I'd kill for Watkins Glen to be in GT5). I can tell you first hand that they sound nothing like what they do in the game.

Let's take it one step further. Up until 2 weeks ago I owned a Dodge Ram with the 5.7L V8 (I traded it because of Gas prices and reliability issues). So from personal experience I can tell you that the Ram sounded nothing like it did in the game. The game makes it sound like a rice burner.

Hah, I drove the Ram in the truck series with a sport exhaust and it did indeed sound like a Honda with an exhaust leak. Pathetic, but it's a carryover from GT4 so I can accept that they didn't re-record it (not that it excuses GT4, but we already knew the sounds sucked for it).

Some cars sound spot-on, which is great, but then it just makes it all that much more noticeable when you run across the ones that don't sound anything like what they should.
 
Ok, let's set an example, the NASCAR series Sprint Cup car which I am very, VERY familiar with having attended numerous races (I'd kill for Watkins Glen to be in GT5). I can tell you first hand that they sound nothing like what they do in the game.

Agree. I was pretty excited for the NASCAR challenge, but the V8s in the NASCARs sound almost like V6s or something. Other cars like the 458, 512BB sound very nice.
 
Back