Has PD been stiffed on VGT projects?

Have manufacturers dropped out of the VGT project?

• Total voters
Mmm. ok. Lets hypothesize.
GT7 will be shown at E2015.
I dont think they will support this game from a DLC and feature perspective next year when marketing kicks off for PS4.
So. . either they start pumping out these cars or we'll get a few by years end and with patches. .we will see manufacturers blocks in the VGT menu disappearing.
Im an optimistic guy, but I have to be realistic here. I have read reports saying EVERY 1st party team at Sony are working on PS4 at the moment. So how small a team is taking care of GT6 at PD?

Source that every 1st party is working on PS4 games: www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/25/every-sony-owned-studio-is-working-on-ps4-games

Yes but the design of the car atleast is already settled, I have no idea what time it takes to render the sketches into something PD can model but I wouldn't think it's the most time consuming process of the lot.
As far as I know, developing a VGT car goes something like this:
sketches --> more sketches --> designers work together on a final sketch --> CAD/CAID and clay model --> PD takes a ton of photos of it (edit: I meant taking photos of the clay model) --> A modeller at PD models the car --> car is released --> interior of car is released in patch

Last edited:
We're being told that the Merc VGT doesn't have a modeled interior because Mercedes didn't make an interion for their physical model.

I suppose that means that unless all these brands make actual real life sized models, there won't be a GT6 model either.

I think this is a concept that is slowly but surely going down the drain. We would like real cars modeled, not these fantasies. And that's prbably the thinking of most car manufacturers as well.

car is released --> interior of car is released in patch
Is it? Unless the manufacturers actually make an interior for the fantasy car, PD can't either.

We're being told that the Merc VGT doesn't have a modeled interior because Mercedes didn't make an interion for their physical model.

I suppose that means that unless all these brands make actual real life sized models, there won't be a GT6 model either.

I think this is a concept that is slowly but surely going down the drain. We would like real cars modeled, not these fantasies. And that's prbably the thinking of most car manufacturers as well.

Is it? Unless the manufacturers actually make an interior for the fantasy car, PD can't either.

They can at least go with the concept interior.

As far as I have understood it (based on what I've read on here), PD doesn't model from art/sketches/computer models.

PD doesn't do a lot of things, maybe they should start.:lol:

But really, with a car like this I'm not sure making the model exact is nearly as necessary as it is with a production car.

The results of this poll are shocking to say the least. This is one of a number of polls PD need to take notice of, it is clear people now are losing hope for getting promised features, this being one of them.

Shame really, I guess I'm part of a minority that was looking forward to seeing what these companies could come up with, even if they were fictional.

@gambleboyen You've misquoted me. IGNAI mentioned the concept interior.
I agree with him though, I would really like to see that interior in the game, but you raise a good point, modelling based on sketches would be tough, although Mercedes have made a high-quality 3d model of the car's interior. I don't think transferring that to GT is impossible, just a bit unlikely.

Last edited:
Why would it be hard? That's how good modelers work, from reference images/photos/sketches. You don't always get CAD data to work from.

Why would it be hard? That's how good modelers work, from reference images/photos/sketches. You don't always get CAD data to work from.

Because PD, it's either done their way or it doesn't get done at all.

I never said it was hard, only that it was unlikely. (it's probably hard too, though.) I think there's a good chance that it will get done eventually, to be fair to all manufacturers as some cars will certainly be roofless. Someone could be working on it right now as I type, but it will be a long wait as the interior is much more complex than the exterior.
CAD data from manufacturers is just a backup resource for PD, from what I've seen they use at least several hundred reference photos and now sometimes also a laser scan of the car (or its smaller clay counterpart), as well as a small scale model for basic reference so they can make the entire thing from scratch in Maya. To many this task is insane, but that is the way they do things, and it works fine for them.

CAD data from manufacturers is just a backup resource for PD, from what I've seen they use at least several hundred reference photos and now sometimes also a laser scan of the car (or its smaller clay counterpart), as well as a small scale model for basic reference so they can make the entire thing from scratch in Maya. To many this task is insane, but that is the way they do things, and it works fine for them.

Eh? CAD data AND a laser scan would be utterly pointless, they both serve the same purpose, to accurately shape the model to the correct proportions. CAD data is all you need to model a car extremely accurately, photographs are only then needed for texturing reference/correct colours etc and to make sure nothing changed from the CAD data to the final vehicle. There is no need for CAD, laser scan and scale models.

If you had CAD data nobody in their right mind would use that as "backup data". It would be the primary source to model the car.

Back