Hating the graphics of GT6

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 408 comments
For me GT6 and 5 are pretty much the same in terms of graphics, they don't look the same, but for me none stands out graphics wise.
That pretty much nails it. Both suck in their own way and both are stunning in their own way.

I still think that GT6 looks like PD was trying to make the "dynamic lighting" very flexible and that in itself causes the aliasing and shadow issues. IMO, the aliasing isn't being dealt with properly because in GT5 they noticed that certain blurs and alpha effects counterindicate with antialiasing code to produce artifacts such as exaggerated stepping like when you look at the car against the background through some smoke...

I saw this in GT6 as well, however much less pronounced and only once. I was in a race on Nürburgring Nordschleife, closely trailed by a friend. When I hit the sharp right at Kallenhard (the northwestern point) I got a good line through in my car, my friend misjudged the entry and spun due to oversteer. At the time, I had never beaten him in a race, so when this happened I was very excited and saved the replay. I sent him a photo of me crossing the finish line with his car coming around the last turn just then, proving I beat him. For this picture, I "walked back" to the pit exit, zoomed way in and dialed my aperture nice and small to get depth of field and took the shot. This way, both cars are in focus and not terribly different in size due to perspective... (blah blah, I know).
24v8z1l.jpg

Then I thought, I should send him one of the spot where he first lost it to commemorate the one time I drove a corner better than him and tried the same photo at Kallenhard. The result was surprising. There was smoke from his tires, partially obscuring the car, and when I moved the camera, the car flickered. When I took the shot, the alpha aliasing caused his car to appear striped.

9pqkuo.jpg

Very weird

Edit: I don't know apparently how to post images...

Last edited:
Edit: I don't know apparently how to post images...
Select "image" above and just paste the URL of the image you find on Google images in there, image hosting isn't necessary that way anymore so it's less work, but if you do host an image you need to paste the direct link (not the link for message boards).

Correct me if i'm wrong though :P

For me the Aliasing is the biggest problem, the blur looks quite ugly but it doesn't distract you. Back in the GT6 demo I couldn't even see where I was going in the Silverstone Time trial.

I have a very big screen and I could see the horrible aliasing even on the closest objects like the dials and steering wheel.

Select "image" above and just paste the URL of the image you find on Google images in there, image hosting isn't necessary that way anymore so it's less work, but if you do host an image you need to paste the direct link (not the link for message boards).

Correct me if i'm wrong though :P
I don't have an image "cloud", I tried linking two photos from my HDD, but it wouldn't let me, so i uploaded them to facebook and tried linking those... I am a little too lazy to create a hosting account and upload them there, then link them here... but it is a cool shot with the striped car.

I didn't realize what a difference there was; after playing some GT5, I really miss the MSAA. I wish PD would reinstate the old 720p 4xMSAA, MLAA is acceptable at higher resolutions but looks really bad at 720p. In overall image quality terms the old 1280x1080 with 2xMSAA ('sharpen' mode as opposed to 'normal' which uses the ugly post process QAA) is still the best looking GT. Pity about the low dynamic range leads to gaining in darker areas in GT5. By patch 2.00 GT5 also had a much better framerate.

I don't have an image "cloud", I tried linking two photos from my HDD, but it wouldn't let me, so i uploaded them to facebook and tried linking those... I am a little too lazy to create a hosting account and upload them there, then link them here... but it is a cool shot with the striped car.
Just host it on http://tinypic.com/ if you don't want to paste URL's from google images, you don't need an account for that so no biggie ;)

I didn't realize what a difference there was; after playing some GT5, I really miss the MSAA. I wish PD would reinstate the old 720p 4xMSAA, MLAA is acceptable at higher resolutions but looks really bad at 720p. In overall image quality terms the old 1280x1080 with 2xMSAA ('sharpen' mode as opposed to 'normal' which uses the ugly post process QAA) is still the best looking GT. Pity about the low dynamic range leads to gaining in darker areas in GT5. By patch 2.00 GT5 also had a much better framerate.

The new AA in GT6 looks awful, the game is a blurry flicker fest compared to GT5. :ouch:

But hey, apparently what we needed was 50x more contrast with a new & more CPU hungry lighting model. After all the complaints on GT Planet about GT5 not having enough contrast & terrible lighting I'm so glad that PD listened & did something about it. :sly:;):P

They look better to me than GT5. Especially the textures. My friend has his TV and HDMI settings not well enough. It looks so much better on my tv and his is supposed to be of higher quality. I have a Samsung. I believe his is a panasonic. No blue here. Picture settings the game are set to sharpen. You really have to mess with your picture equalizer/settings and HDMI settings.

VBR
The new AA in GT6 looks awful, the game is a blurry flicker fest compared to GT5. :ouch:
Blurry flicker fest...good one. :lol: Any time you round the final corner on any track it seems there's a blurry flicker fest with all the grid boxes and horizontal lines around the start/finish line, it's hard to notice anything else while that is happening.

Blurry flicker fest...good one. :lol: Any time you round the final corner on any track it seems there's a blurry flicker fest with all the grid boxes and horizontal lines around the start/finish line, it's hard to notice anything else while that is happening.

Made all the worse for me as my TV only accepts a 720p signal. :( At least the frame rate isn't as bad as 1080p.

If it weren't for the player tags above the cars, I'd rear-end people more often during night races... the tail lights just aren't visible from far enough away like street lights are. They must use a different lighting model for static lights...

The comparison:
(and no, it's not the fault of youtube)

And for those of you who think it's motion blur, the blur is there even when the car is going 20...

gt5_gt6_comparison.png

Aliasing makes or breaks the deal, recently I was playing Far Cry 3 on the 360, beautiful world and lightning, 0 anti aliasing whatsoever, looks like utter garbage, extremely jagged edges on everyhting. GT6 is the other end of the stick, such a horrible anti aliasing solution that it makes everything blurry without even cleaning the picture, basically identical to the so called ''vaseline effect'' exclusive to the PS3 port of GTA IV

The comparison:
(and no, it's not the fault of youtube)

And for those of you who think it's motion blur, the blur is there even when the car is going 20...

View attachment 206278

In your screenshot both game images look very blurry, including the 458. Capture card compression, a lot of YouTube compression and screenshot compression add up.
Also, that comparision was recorded shortly after GT6's release when the exaggerated motion blur did display at any speed when you watched a replay. GT5 had a dull static look to it at all times which gave it too much distracting detail a lot of the time, especially combined with the sharp shadows.

That said, I agree the graphics in GT6 are not a big advancement over GT5, and they are worse in some important areas. The lighting, shadows and looks of materials inside cockpits is crap. Plus, a lot of cars apparently have tinted windows because as soon as you switch to the cockpit camera, the interior as well as the whole environment outside turn way too dark.

Last edited:
Back