Hating the graphics of GT6

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 408 comments
United States
Mass UTC-5
HugoStiglitz_420 and GTP_HugoStiglitz
First of all, I'd like to point out that THIS IS NOT MOTION BLUR. The blur I'm talking about, is there, NO MATTER WHAT speed you are going. It's not depth of field either

There is so much aliasing and blur on some tracks it's ridiculous. It literally is painful for my eyes overtime. I normally wouldn't complain about graphics, but I'm really having trouble adjusting to GT6. It looks horrible in some ways but beautiful in others.

I have a really hard time dealing with blurry video games. My eyes struggle to adjust to too much blur and GT6 is one of those games but mostly only on certain tracks like Bathurst.

GT5 looks so much better than this in my opinion. It looks a lot sharper which is definitely more to my liking.I've always preferred games to have crisp and clear graphics above all else

They've drastically improved the lighting, and some of the effects but the game suffers badly from aliasing and blur as a result because they can't use good anti-aliasing solutions. It's not a good tradeoff in my opinion

I'd rather them have GT4 graphics rendered at full 1080p with 8x MSAA than this blurry mess. Seriously, even Vice City on my PC is easier for me to look at. The graphics aren't better but what good is better models, and textures if they're all obscured by aliasing and blur?

I always loved GT5's graphics because they are crisp, clear, and detailed. What the hell happened?

UPDATE- I'm still loving the game, but I still hate the blurriness that I see on certain tracks. My second favorite track in the world, Bathurst is perhaps the biggest culprit. I barely race there because of it.

The only way I've been able to make the blur more bearable for myself is by increasing the sharpness on my TV to the maximum. I suggest trying that out if you're also having issues adjusting to the blurry graphics. It's not something I would usually recommend but it does make things slightly more clear.

I think the post process morphological anti-aliasing that GT6 employs in both 720p and 1080p mode is part of the problem. It's not nearly good enough to handle the amount of aliasing you get when you combine dynamic lighting and shadows with high quality tree models (at Bathurst at least). When I enable MLAA on my gaming PC it makes things look terrible and blurry as well. Not only is all the jaggies a big problem, but their solution (MLAA) just adds even more blur.

For your information, GT5 used 2x QAA in 1080p mode and 4x MSAA in 720p mode. Both are much better alternatives, which is most likely why GT5 looks significantly more crisp and clear in addition to having more tame (but less realistic) lighting solutions.

This is just my opinion on aliasing and blur. I think GT6 would be beautiful if it weren't for all the aliasing and blur and personally, I'd rather they turn down some of the other graphics settings so they could use 2x MSAA instead but obviously that will never happen.

Last edited:
TomBrady,

What display are you using? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just curious. I don't know if the game automatically defaults to 1080 or if we have to set something up. Are you using a disk or the digital version?

It's not my TV. GT5 looks fine on my TV. It's GT6.

And it's not motion blur either when EVERYTHING is blurry. It's the game itself.

Seriously, pop in GT5. It's ridiculous how much sharper and cleaner GT5 is in comparison.

It looks better than GT5, so either something's off with your TV settings, or you're imagining thing.

I'm not a moron okay. It's not my TV.

Like I said, I pop in GT5 and it looks ten times sharper and better looking.

When's the last time you played GT5 because I guarantee if you pop it in now, you'll see what I'm talking about when you compare it to GT6.

It's not my TV. GT5 looks fine on my TV. It's GT6.

And it's not motion blur either when EVERYTHING, is blurry. It's the game itself.

Seriously, pop in GT5. It's ridiculous how much sharper and cleaner GT5 is in comparison.
I think your tv's outputting at 420 p. the games get blurry! If your T.V. can identify whats being output id be glad to help =D

I'm not a moron okay. It's not my TV.

Like I said, I pop in GT5 and it looks ten times sharper and better looking.

When's the last time you played GT5 because I guarantee if you pop it in now, you'll see what I'm talking about when you compare it to GT6.
I've seen enough comparisons (direct feed captures) and the game has a better IQ in everyone of those.

In replays I've been noticing increased use of depth of field effects, but it's only slightly more than GT5 in my opinion.

The lighting model now uses HDR, so it"s possible that your PS3 HDMI settings are not correct for GT6, what display settings are you using?

Rumor has it that they switched from a "normal" type of anti-aliasing to one of the newer post-processing methods, something like FXAA or Morphological AA on a PC. The problem with this is that a LOT of people absolutely HATE these methods because they make the picture look all soft and blurry. Personally, I absolutely HATE the soft/blur effect that these methods use and would vastly prefer no AA at all. I prefer crisp and clear over soft any day. But other people have the opposite reaction and don't mind FXAA type techniques at all. In the end, what PD should have done is simply offered the option to turn AA completely off, especially since so many people dislike the type of AA they appear to now be using.

I think your tv's outputting at 420 p. the games get blurry! If your T.V. can identify whats being output id be glad to help =D

You're not here to help if you're talking crap about 420p. I haven't even smoked since october 2012 so stop being prejudice about a number I put in my PSN.

How many times do I have to tell you people, GT5 LOOKS FINE on the same TV, same PS3, same settings (in game, and TV settings) and it still looks blurry as hell.

I don't understand how it's so hard for you people to identify what I'm talking about. Maybe you're used to the blur now.

Seriously, go pop in GT5 now, there's no way you won't notice the difference unless you're sitting 15 feet away from your TV.

Rumor has it that they switched from a "normal" type of anti-aliasing to one of the newer post-processing methods, something like FXAA or Morphological AA on a PC. The problem with this is that a LOT of people absolutely HATE these methods because they make the picture look all soft and blurry. Personally, I absolutely HATE the soft/blur effect that these methods use and would vastly prefer no AA at all. I prefer crisp and clear over soft any day. But other people have the opposite reaction and don't mind FXAA type techniques at all. In the end, what PD should have done is simply offered the option to turn AA completely off, especially since so many people dislike the type of AA they appear to now be using.

That might be it because I absolutely despise MLAA on my gaming PC. I never use it. FXAA isn't quite as bad but it's not good either. I think GT5 used QAA in 1080p mode.

Thanks for giving and actual response to my concerns unlike the rest of the people here.

I also agree with you 100%, I would rather there be no AA at all, than have such a soft and blurry image quality. BF3 had the ability to turn off AA, I wish all console games would as well because sometimes AA just makes things worse.

Especially a game like GT5/6 which I'm pretty sure is native 1080 by 1280 (although the GT6 demo was confirmed to be 1080 by 1440 native in gameplay), you just don't need this blurry AA.

It might not be just the AA though, it could also be the HDR.

You're not here to help if you're talking crap about 420p. I haven't even smoked since october 2012 so stop being prejudice about a number I put in my PSN.

How many times do I have to tell you people, GT5 LOOKS FINE on the same TV, same PS3, same settings (in game, and TV settings) and it still looks blurry as hell.

I don't understand how it's so hard for you people to identify what I'm talking about. Maybe you're used to the blur now.

Seriously, go pop in GT5 now, there's no way you won't notice the difference unless you're sitting 15 feet away from your TV.

Do you wear glasses ?? maybe there steamed up or something ??? give them a wipe and try playing gt6 again 👍 hope that helps 👍

Isn't AA used to reduce the poly count so the comuting power can be used at other tasks.

I'm no expert, but thats what understood.

TomBrady,

You might be helping some of us with the same issue. Panjandrum, seems to have provided a plausible explanation for what might be going on. I'm actually in agreement with you. The main menus do look a little soft on my end as well, so I was trying to see how similar my setup was to yours.

Oh wow.... :lol:

He does not mean 420, he means 420p. 420p is a resolution of pixels, similar to 720p, and 1080i/1080p. 720p and 1080p/i are High Definition, 420p is Standard Definition and looks very bad on large TV's. He's saying if your TV is setup to display at 420p then there may be some blurring going on, which can be fixed by upping the resolution.

Do you wear glasses ?? maybe there steamed up or something ??? give them a wipe and try playing gt6 again 👍 hope that helps 👍

If it was my glasses, don't you think that GT5 would also look blurry? Thanks for giving another sarcastic and idiotic response do a legitimate complaint. Just because you've adjusted to it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Back