Have there been any moments where GT5's seemingly brain-dead AI surprised you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 34 comments
  • 2,510 views
Messages
932
Messages
Chicano3000X
Messages
Chicano3000
Like a moment where it showed some signs of actual brain activity?

I was doing the 90's sports car cup, and I was in a faster car. I decided for the first 4 laps, I was gonna mess with the AI. I hit one car to the side and slammed it to the wall. I go ahead, and slow down later. The car comes back and seems to want to shove me to the side too.
Also I once nudged an AI driver in the back and he swerved alittle and gave the impression that the driver must have been like "oh crap! crap crap!".
 
yes but it was b-spec, that my driver made an actual great move at indy. First corner he was on the low corner but as many cars where there he moved to the outside breaking a little then full throttle and pas a few on the outside. It did surprise me because i actually liked that move.
 
I know as I started levelling up I noticed a sudden improvement in the AI managing to catch me and get even closer to overtaking me which at first I mistook for actual AI until it started to become more and more clear it was just straight forward rubber banding.
 
No.

If they are hitting you, it's only because you are in the way of their pre-set racing line and for some reason the players car doesn't exist to the AI.

As for you hitting them, I'm still trying to figure out why a little tap throws me way off balance, but I can slam into the AI and they don't even seem fazed...


I know as I started levelling up I noticed a sudden improvement in the AI managing to catch me and get even closer to overtaking me which at first I mistook for actual AI until it started to become more and more clear it was just straight forward rubber banding.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.
 
Sometimes the AI seems to get bold and tries to out brake me on places it normally doesn't brake late.

And that b-spec thing, although bob more than makes up for his good moments with dramatically awful ones.
 
hmm, atleast they go around you this time if they overtake you, or if you're slow or stopped on the track.
 
hmm, atleast they go around you this time if they overtake you, or if you're slow or stopped on the track.

Are you sure about that? There is video evidence at race sim central that if you stop on the track they will not even make an attempt to drive around you and simply plow right into you.
 
Ah, yes. I was doing the top gear challenge with the Lotus and after many attempts, I'm finally in 5th place. On the long straight, I'm close to the next car and gaining on him. He taps on the brakes, I hit him in the back and ofcourse I get disqualified.

I'm sure he did it on purpose to annoy me, lol.
 
Not surprised as such, but entertained. Especially when the AI of a Corvette decided it was appropriate to powerslide round the first half of Parabolica at Monza. Thusly, ending up backwards in the gravel.

Chortle.
 
Only in the FGT championship did they seem somewhat alive and trying to race, otherwise no.
 
Few times I fly up on the lapped slower cars on a straight and as I approach the veer outta my way seemingly to get outta my way. I dunno
 
Once went side-by side through the left-right chicane on Trial Mountain just before the Start/Finish line against an AI driver. I was on the left, so I had the inside for the first turn. We were pretty much neck and neck through both, less than a yard apart. No contact whatsoever. I was quite impressed. Saved the replay, one day I'll photo it up.
 
Are you sure about that? There is video evidence at race sim central that if you stop on the track they will not even make an attempt to drive around you and simply plow right into you.

 
NASCAR Daytona event. The only race in the game that really stands out for me.
 
The only thing that suprises me about the AI in GT5 is that the AI in my game seems to be completely different than the AI in the games of so many who complain about it.

In my copy of GT5 AI will avoid me if possible and will move to the side to let me pass if I am faster than them. Obviously they are not at the same level as a human opponent but they are a million miles away from the brain dead robots on rails some choose to describe them as.

I have no idea why the AI in my copy of the game are so different. But I'm sure as hell happy that they are ;)
 


Good find, I'm being serious! 👍

Too bad I've yet to experience any of that.

The snow rally example from that video though can open a new question, why is it that the AI's breaks seemingly work way better than mine on snow? They all come to almost a stop in miliseconds. I can't even stop that fast on a dry surface with ABS on. :grumpy:
 
The snow rally example from that video though can open a new question, why is it that the AI's breaks seemingly work way better than mine on snow? They all come to almost a stop in miliseconds. I can't even stop that fast on a dry surface with ABS on. :grumpy:

In my experience, the AI's brakes work better EVERYWHERE.
Most corners they brake slightly too early and so you probably won't notice.

However, the 1st corner at Fuji is very different. With equal tires and speed, I cannot outbrake the AI no matter how hard I try.
 
I've had funny ones where I put pressure on them, intentionally not passing them, and had them out-brake themselves into the wall : )

Usually they're pretty terrible - and slow too - wish there were options to make them harder to race against other than them just getting way faster cars than me.
 
The person who interviews Kaz really needs to ask him about the AI what he feels about it.. Pressure 'em.
 
The A.I. Is as the crow fly's if you will, they rarely stray away from there line.
 
I remember, even on GT1 and 2 for example, on midfield, when you take the 2nd right turn, usually the driving line would require a car to start out on the outside of the turn. Most of the cars do that, but every so often a car would move on it's own to the opposite side of the track as if it was making it's own decision.
 
The only thing that suprises me about the AI in GT5 is that the AI in my game seems to be completely different than the AI in the games of so many who complain about it.

In my copy of GT5 AI will avoid me if possible and will move to the side to let me pass if I am faster than them. Obviously they are not at the same level as a human opponent but they are a million miles away from the brain dead robots on rails some choose to describe them as.

I have no idea why the AI in my copy of the game are so different. But I'm sure as hell happy that they are ;)

Wow, I must have gotten the same copy. The AI surprises me all the time. My favorite was one of the MB full lap challenges and one of the cars(CLK I think) overtook me despite my effort to block. It went left, so I eased left, then it motioned right so I went right and it quickly went left around me. Got in front and then hit its brakes(we were on a long straight) causing me to slow and then bolted. I overtook it again a few turns later. I thought it was a fluke but something similar happened in another race on Highspeed ring.
For everything I dont like about the game the AI is by far my least despised. It makes every effort to avoid contact with my car to the point I can force them to brake or run them off the track.
 
The only thing that suprises me about the AI in GT5 is that the AI in my game seems to be completely different than the AI in the games of so many who complain about it.

In my copy of GT5 AI will avoid me if possible and will move to the side to let me pass if I am faster than them. Obviously they are not at the same level as a human opponent but they are a million miles away from the brain dead robots on rails some choose to describe them as.

I have no idea why the AI in my copy of the game are so different. But I'm sure as hell happy that they are ;)

I would have appeared to have got the same copy as you!!! The AI are far from perfect but generally i find them to be pretty good. Rarely in a race do i have contact with the AI and in just about every race i see them changing their line to account for my car and each other.

Off course i also give the AI respect and make accounts for their car positioning as i race, making measured overtaking moves and not trying to outbreak from 30 metres behind at every corner definately helps you to see the AI strengths.
 
At what a-spec level did those of you finding it rather good start to see this? I'm starting to think why many of us don't see it is based on our level. Once I completed the licenses, special events, and all a-spec up to the Endurance races, I quit a-spec to focus on getting b-spec out of the way and have only touched some seasonal events since for quick cash boost.

Right now I am at level 29 a-spec and the AI still acts like idiots for the most part.

The most glaring thing I notice and have tested is collisions. At high speed a slight bump into me causes my car to go crazy in a sense, even with all assists turned on. Yet the only thing I can do to faze them is plow right into them, and that doesn't even seem to faze them very much. Pretty much this feels similar to the AI having some super ability I don't have like the braking in the snow thing, or as someone else put it braking everywhere.

I never really noticed this in other games. When the wife is using the big screen I've fired up GRID on my PC and the AI's cars react to collisions just as mine do.
 
Yes. Nascar event at Daytona Superspeedway. As I passed Numero Uno for first place, he came over and spun me. When I finally caught back up to the pack and worked my way up again, he did it AGAIN. I had a hard time thinking it wasn't intentional.
 
I think it's so stupid when you are in the AI's racing line and they kept slamming into you over and over until one of you moves.
 
Back