HDR is awful!!!!!

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
HDR in GT7 looks awful, it's totally washed out and far too bright. Everything looks light grey, skies and tracks are not rich and do not pop.Its as if someone has just turned the brightness on their tv right up.
To make matters worse, the in-game calibration settings is useless and not a patch on GT Sport. The slider to adjust the game exposure is set to default zero, if you move it as far as you can to the left which is maximum of -1 it has no effect on the picture at all.The slider to the right which is Saturation seems to work fine though.
This needs sorting as soon as possible as at the moment the game to me looks worse than GT Sport.
GT Sports in game HDR settings even had extra settings where you could increase or decrease until the box with the white and grey squares disappeared, then the same with the black and grey boxes. GT7 has none of these.
Has anyone else noticed this it's a big problem, I can't believe they haven't addressed this issue properly in testing before releasing it!!!!

Last edited:
I have a cheap HDR TV and it looks slightly dim, probably to do with my TV not having a very high peak brightness. Otherwise it looks fine. The only thing I can't find is the option to turn HDR off (I presume I have to switch it off in the PS5 settings).
I'd maybe guess it's your TV settings causing the problem.

Last edited:
It's a mid range HDR tv, certainly not the best but HDR looks much better in other games such as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and even GT Sport. GT Sport had much better in game adjustments to get it to how you want such as the boxes with squares in that you manually adjust to make the small squares dissapear.
GT7 doesn't even have these, you just choose whether you want to prioritize frame rate or select ray tracing, then set the overall exposure and saturation.The saturation slider works but the exposure one does absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
It's a mid range HDR tv, certainly not the best but HDR looks much better in other games such as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and even GT Sport. GT Sport had much better in game adjustments to get it to how you want such as the boxes with squares in that you manually adjust to make the small squares dissapear.
GT7 doesn't even have these, you just choose whether you want to prioritize frame rate or select ray tracing, then set the overall brightness and saturation.The saturation slider works but the other one does absolutely nothing.
Have you checked the settings on your TV directly to see if you can improve the image?

HDR in GT7 looks awful, it's totally washed out and far too bright. Everything looks light grey, skies and tracks are not rich and do not pop.Its as if someone has just turned the brightness on their tv right up.
To make matters worse, the in-game calibration settings is useless and not a patch on GT Sport. The slider to adjust the game brightness is set to default zero, if you move it as far as you can to the left which is maximum of -1 it has no effect on the picture at all.The slider to the right which is Saturation seems to work fine though.
This needs sorting as soon as possible as at the moment the game to me looks worse than GT Sport.
GT Sports in game HDR settings even had extra settings where you could increase or decrease until the box with the white and grey squares disappeared, then the same with the black and grey boxes. GT7 has none of these.
Has anyone else noticed this it's a big problem, I can't believe they haven't addressed this issue properly in testing before releasing it!!!!
Thats not game fault.., when that happens its cause something its wrong with the setup/sofware/hardware conflit in the configs.It happen a lot on my PC when i change it from monitor to TV, if somthing is wrong all seems washed out..., but its not related to the games.
Actually GT HDR its one of the best in the business and GT7 from what i see its even better.
Try to off auto HDR in console settings, or mess with the configs.., for shure its a configuration issue.

Last edited:
Have you checked the settings on your TV directly to see if you can improve the image?
Yes there is nothing more i can do, like I say even a few reviews on game sites have pointed out the issue with washed out HDR and poor in game calibration settings.Go and check for yourself, the settings are worse than in GT Sport it's baffling.

The setting screen is bugged and they already announced they are working on a fix. This said, my settings look absoluitely great right now.

Do you only have this in GT? I had this issue where every time i booted the console my colours were washed out (blue from ps store was purple) and had to switch game mode on and off on my tv or disable hdr on console to fix them every time and sometimes it occured randomly. Eventualy I sold my ps4 and put the ps5 on its hdmi slot and never had any problems ever since so it might be your hdmi port / handshake between your console causing this issue.

To make matters worse, the in-game calibration settings is useless and not a patch on GT Sport. The slider to adjust the game exposure is set to default zero, if you move it as far as you can to the left which is maximum of -1 it has no effect on the picture at all.The slider to the right which is Saturation seems to work fine though.
it seems to be affecting some of us but not all. I don't have the checkerboard settings either with the squares but watching others set up they are clearly there. The only working slider is saturation for me too

it seems to be affecting some of us but not all. I don't have the checkerboard settings either with the squares but watching others set up they are clearly there. The only working slider is saturation for me too
I switched HDR off completely in the PS5 settings and then when you go to GT7 visual settings the checkered squares are there, but not in HDR. GT Sport definitely had them in HDR though.

I switched HDR off completely in the PS5 settings and then when you go to GT7 visual settings the checkered squares are there, but not in HDR. GT Sport definitely had them in HDR though.
It’s because the HDR calibration is part of the system settings on PS5.

While the settings screen not properly reflecting the exposure setting is a known issue, it might still take effect for the rest of the game. If you left it at -1 or some other extreme value, that might explain the washed out picture.

P.S. I didn’t notice any effect with the saturation slider either.

I just came back to say I have got a Samsung TV 7 series. I have now turned gaming mode on and the graphics are now amazing. No more HDR issues for me

Update guys, new update just released and the HDR calibration Exposure issue corrected.
It was actually working great for me before the update. After it HDR broke. I turned it off and then back on again in the PS5 settings and it works again properly.

Give me a laugh. Which games have better hdr?

Not by a Longshot he said... Cute, really.
normally I wouldnt answer this but you called me cute, so I am obliged :)
gran turismo excels in car colors. they are top of the ladder there. but cars look also great in sdr, its their shaders.
gran turismo also excels in photomode. the scapes in gt7 are really very well done, very carefully selected great hdr pictures.
in game though, their best is usually the overcast. like a background for the cars to really pop. when you have high luminosity, ex. from the sun or contrast, the surroundings start to show their limitations.

so here's the weekly from another racing game.
I just played it earlier, after playing non-stop gt7 for a week or so.
it really popped out on me. have a look:

unfortunately the video is not in hdr, but I am sure that you can boot it yourself, or find good hdr sources on youtube.

I will not even go to other than racing games, because we will get lost there.
cheers

Up until last night, I had no issues with this... But all of a sudden, it reared its ugly head. I had been playing a few hours earlier and all was good, as it has right from the get go.

After getting life out of the way, I turned on my PS4, played another game for an hour or so, and switched to GT7 to check the changes in the UCD. The difference was instantly noticeable... Washed out colours, my deep black car wasn't deep black anymore, red decals looked orange, etc., etc.

Quiting the game, everything went back to normal on my PS4 Pro. Every other game works as it always does. The only thing that worked for GT7 however, was to turn off HDR within the PS4's settings.

So confused as to the randomness... it was amazing until last night. Now, just for GT7, I need to adjust settings (HDR off within the PS4) to get the colours I'm used to. No idea what happened or why.

Cheers

@Baron Blitz Red

I know that recently there was an update for the PS5 that had my TV switching automatically to "game mode" when I turned on some titles including GT7. I wonder if something similar may be happening in your PS4?

.....just throwing it out there in case something similar may be causing the issue for you. I have no idea if the PS4 was updated with the same "feature" or if that's even causing your problem.

Last edited:
@Baron Blitz Red

I know that recently there was an update for the PS5 that had my TV switching automatically to "game mode" when I turned on some titles including GT7. I wonder if something similar may be happening in your PS4?

.....just throwing it out there in case something similar may be causing the issue for you. I have no idea if the PS4 was updated with the same "feature" or if that's even causing your problem.
Thanks for the suggestion... I have checked that out, and for my tv, that doesn't seem to be the case. Thankfully.

The last PS4 system update was about a week ago now, so I don't believe that and my issue are related, at least according to what I've read about the update anyway.

Again, thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers

Back