HDR is awful!!!!!

Found this thread as I seem to have the same issue... Bought a new TV (Sony KD-50X89J) and now everything looks very faded in comparison to the old one.

The question is...which was correct? I could potentially fiddle with the colour saturation settings in the TV for hours and get it look similar to how it used to, but how do I know that I'm not making it look "worse" by basically chasing an incorrect image?

Whomever says the Hdr is bad you have the settings wrong. First if your tv doesnt have a hdr HGIG setting leave the exposure at 0 in Gt7 settings. Also this game uses the ps5 internal hdr settings so if those are set wrong youll screw up hdr. There is a post which depending on your tvs nit brightness will tell you how many clicks to do in the first and second setting screens of the PS5 the tv hdr settings. The third screen put all the way down to the darkest. Use the chart here.

Follow my post. The HDR is spectacular if you follow my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
The non HDR looks blown out , this was an issue in GT sport but the static times of day hid the issue well . On Alstace at night / dusk the bloom from the tail lights was incredibly bad.

Use the table above.

On a Q90A for example, I set it for 1250... the two white patches15 notches down from max white, and the dark image at zero.

Looks amazing.

EV operates fine, so just fine tune it from inside the game.

And, it can be adjusted at the start of a race temporarily. So experiment and adjust the global in-game setting if you feel the need to.

Don't forget: garbage in garbage out. If your TV is rubbish ..... !

Last edited:
The HDR is amazing if you have a good TV and actually set everything up right. I was considering wearing sunglasses on some courses with the sun being so bright.

Looks great on my LG CX 55"

I would say the HDR is better than GTS, though not by much.
Same TV, same experience here. I still think GT games miss some environmental fog, dust and whatnots. It’s a bit too sterile.

I did a search, sorry to bump an old thread but I'm finding the glare unbearable. I use chase cam and have resorted to using matte paint all over the car and blacking out the rear window. Don't know if it changed at some point to get worse? Is it something to do with HDR? I have HDR turned off because my TV isn't true HDR. My brightness isn't too high because I set it a bit lower for prolonged sessions.
Id definitely keep HDR off if its not proper. Atleast your tv should be able to pull off SDR perfectly fine.
My Tv got a update very late after it came out for VRR and it absolutely destroys the image quality, so i keep it off.

I think there is a bug with HDR so can someone check this? If you turn off the 120 Hz mode and then turn it back on - HDR is disabled. But if you restart the game it returns.

Latest Posts

Back