He needs a car? And he's coming HERE?!

• Thread starter Jpec07
  • 23 comments
Forgotten Wing
Crazy, eh?

Seriously, though, I know that this is the place to ask advice about automobiles (since in all of my years here so many years ago, the denizens of GTPlanet have always known more about cars than me). So then, what is he looking for?

Well, that's the reason I'm here. This summer, I'm going to make something like $4,000 at my job, and with that cash I would like to purchase some form of vehicle (more likely than not, some form of used vehicle). My question is this: taking into account the following factors, what types of cars are good to look for?

1. Limited price range ($4,000 max)
  2. The cost of insurrance (19 year old male)
  3. Fuel economy
  4. Long-distance driving (intending to drive it from Massachusetts to California in one big long roadtrip)

Advise me? Thanks :)

2000 Toyota Echo

Fuel Economy - Check

Insurance - cheap cheap cheap

Reliability - Check

Comfort - Unkown, but loads of room up front.

EDIT:

1998 Toyota Avalon

Fuel Economy - Good for the size

Insurance - How much could a toyota be?

Reliability - Check

Comfort - Big. Limo.

2000 Ford Focus

Fuel Econ. - Check

Insurance - Easy

Reliability - Not toyota, but not french either.

Comfort - Not too sure, but its a sports car in compacts clothing.

*COUGH*

I think he wants people to name good cars, not the worst cars one can think of.

If you're looking for something to just "ride" in and don't care what anybody thinks you could find a nice Honda Civic. Note Here: I'm by no means saying that a Honda Civic is bad car here just that he could find an older maybe "beaten up" one at a nice price as they should do just fine. Are you wanting to "keep" car for a long time so others can give you some more advice.

1995-1999 Nissan Maxima SE

Limited price range ($4,000 max) -- No problem, a low mileage SE runs $2500-4000
The cost of insurrance (19 year old male) -- Insurance would be average on this car--but as long as your driving record is clean you shouldn't pay more than $80/mo for liability.
Fuel economy -- Driven maturely you should average 22-27mpg depending on the mix of city/highway driving.
Long-distance driving (intending to drive it from Massachusetts to California in one big long roadtrip) -- To this day both my 1995 and 1996 Maximas were the most comfortable cars I've EVER owned (and driven). Long trips are a joy.

Old Camry or Accord should cover all of those quite nicely. Failing that, any mid to late 90s Buick/Oldsmobile land barge would cover those as well, so long as you avoided the particularly large Buicks and the Aurora (it sucks premium fuel), and perhaps better than the Camry or Accord for large trips as they are large enough to house entire sports teams and are spongier than Spongebob.

A Corolla or Civic wouldn't be a bad investment. My Corolla is pretty decent, and I'm a big guy at 6'4... good fuel economy and such, reliable, and so on.

Same goes for a Civic. Echos and their predecessor, the Tercel, are a bit more cramped and vibrate a bit at speed... or just feel like they are going to blow away if its windy.

I think he wants people to name good cars, not the worst cars one can think of.

Granted, that Avalon isn't exactly in top shape, but they are everywhere, one could just look around.

Also, the Focus is teh awesome.

Subaru Legacy

Honda Accord

I DARE YOU TO CLICK THIS LINK.

VW Jetta 1.8T

W124 Mercedes

VW Golf GL

Geo Prizm

VW Jetta MK2

Ford Mon- Er. Mercury Mystique

Camry V6

Civic LX

MUCH nicer Avalon

Woo! GTI VR6. :drool: DO WANT

Saab 900S

Audi A6

BMW 325i

Camry XLE Loaded.

I'm bored now. Tired of autotrader.

sure I'm biased but I'll throw one out there :)
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
price and insurance shouldn't be a problem
fuel economy is good but it takes premium
long trips are a breeze in these cars

I say 1990 because before that you are likely to have to spend more to fix it up or keep it running, and after 90 and 91, things started getting more expensive and complicated...

EDIT: and look theres a 124 right up there lol

7342-1992-Honda-Civic.jpg

THIS IS HONDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[/thread]

(Although Insuring a Civic is getting expensive these days, since 1 out of 2 are stolen, or street raced... or both at the same time.)

Well, lets see. You want something cheap to run and insure, and something that is a good highway cruiser? You're pretty much looking at American cars there my friend, and boy oh boy do I have some good ideas(!):

1) What may be the most under-rated Police Car ever, the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina 9C1. Price? Well, its an auction car, but you could expect about $3600 on a similarly equipped Lumina LTZ from the same year...

c059_12.JPG

The bullet-proof 3800 V6, 4T60E automatic, police suspension/wheels/tires/etc, and so on make it not only a solid cruiser, but also a car that is surprisingly quick when it needs to be. Highway mileage is good for nearly 30 MPG if you're running it right, but an average of about 25-27 MPG around town is a pretty good bet, that is, if you're running it right.

Insurance should be cheap, dirt cheap, and so should any repair costs. The basic car has been around since '88, and you can swap parts around between almost all the GM siblings of the era.

Similarly, the Impala that followed used the majority of the same bits and pieces, but altogether was slightly improved. The Impala was given the seal of approval by the Michigan State Police, and it is well-respected by the NYPD.

8bb0_12.JPG

This 2001 Impala 9C1 can be had for $3500.

2) The Ford Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor

These cars are old dinosaurs that are shining examples of long-lasting endurance, cheap insurance, and furthermore outrageously low replacement part costs. They are the standard police cruiser around the entire United States, most of Canada, and Mexico as well.

First spot that caught my attention was a 1999 P71 with 92K on the clock for $3500. It still has the push bars on the front, which makes it ten times as cool (and a million times more likely that people will think you're a cop), and the color is sweet as well.

But, I'm crazy, so I like the County Mounty cars in the different colors...

3) Or, you could go with my favorite of all the cop cars, The Chevrolet Caprice 9C1. This one is in tip-top shape, has only 41K on the clock, and best of all is an odd color.

dcc1_12.JPG

These were THE Cop cars to beat until 1996, and most Police Officers I know still say the Caprice was the best car they have had. The 260 BHP LT1 was strong on power, good on fuel, and the overall setup of the car had it maxed-out for comfort, while still being able to out-maneuver most vehicles until the Mustangs or Camaros had to be called in.

===

...Just my two cents. Cop cars are often some of the best deals you can get, the problem is, you just have to find a good one...

YSS you DO realize that the Caprice and Crown Vic Police Interceptor models get some of the worst gas mileage ever right? I averaged 8~9mpg in my P71 (11~12 if I drove it slow). He needs something with decent mpg...and those just aren't practical. And the Lumina is a hideous American FWD slushbox, don't get it. A truely terrible car, there's one sitting in my brother's garage right now dead at only 120k miles. And an older lady drove it so you know she didn't rag it out.

Yeah, Brad.... V8s do not make for good economy... shoulda stuck with the VWs on these one, at least then I wouldn't be going :boggled:

Mkay? Domestics generally don't get as good MPG as their foreign counterparts... so I tend to avoid them.

Well, lets see. You want something cheap to run and insure, and something that is a good highway cruiser? You're pretty much looking at American cars there my friend, and boy oh boy do I have some good ideas(!):
For the price of a 9C1 Caprice or newer Crown Vic Interceptor, you could have a Lincoln Mark VIII. And I don't think too many people would take a stripper Caprice or Crown Vic over a faster, undoubtably more comfortable and more efficient Mark VIII.
YSSMAN
1) What may be the most under-rated Police Car ever, the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina 9C1. Price? Well, its an auction car, but you could expect about $3600 on a similarly equipped Lumina LTZ from the same year...
Yuk. Really YSSMAN, a Lumina? A decontented, stripper Lumina? Not even blind patriotism, or Nazi Torture for that matter, explains that suggestion. And for that matter, $3600 for a Lumina is a rip anyways, as there are so many much nicer, much better put together and much more comfortable boats GM made at the time that go for less money.
YSSMAN
but also a car that is surprisingly quick when it needs to be.
A 240SX would probably outrun a Lumina. A convertible 240SX.
YSSMAN
This 2001 Impala 9C1 can be had for $3500.
See two points above, only take away some of the hard edged loathing.

Yeah, Brad.... V8s do not make for good economy... shoulda stuck with the VWs on these one, at least then I wouldn't be going :boggled:

...Well, insurance tends to be a problem on the Vee-Dubs unless he is getting an old school model with PLPD...

If thats the case, I'd highly recomend an MKII Golf or Jetta. They're a helluva lot of fun to drive, fairly easy to work on, and get wonderful gas mileage. My old Fox (slightly smaller than a Jetta, used the same parts from the car) returned 30-33 MPG on most weeks, but my God did the car hate the cold weather.

If you want a sweet, fun-to-drive, old-school VW, this may not be a bad idea:

1988 VW Scirocco

1789822830.219405465.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x330.jpg

Its got a 16V, which is arguably one of the best engines VW ever assembled...

Otherwise, you're going to want to go MKIII. Early models were screwed together pretty well, but after production moved to Mexico, some of the cars were a bit more shoddy than others.

For less than $3500, you can get this 1996 Jetta TREK Edition. I have a '96 Jetta Wolfsburg, and the differences between the two are minimal. I love driving my MKIII, as it is excelent around town and on the highway. I average about 27 MPG on my trips, but get me anywhere near the highway for a lot of driving, and that mileage can shoot well above 30 MPG without a problem.

111073_5a864839-bbf3-466f-8814-dbc2bb925127.jpg

Pretty... I've always had a thing for white cars...

===

Either way, insurance is likely going to be a bit more costly on a Vee-Dub over other cars. I'm set at about $130 a month for full-coverage on my Jetta, but PLPD could probably dip below $100 a month depending on model, trim, etc.

They're excellent cars... Just make sure they're in good running order.

Mkay? Domestics generally don't get as good MPG as their foreign counterparts... so I tend to avoid them.

I will champion the domestics whenever possible, so I made my oppertunity. Police Vehicles are often some of the best used models you can get, as they are usually maintained quite well, and generally hold up better than most "average" cars and trucks out there today.

Sure, gas mileage isn't great, but as long as you're keeping your foot out of the gas, you should be fine. JCE's quote of 8-11 MPG seems outstandingly low, given that even the nearly Police-spec Caprice we had with a carbed 305 got well above 20 MPG on average. But I don't see that as the only reason why not to get one.

...People bitch about gas prices where there is an obvious alternative: A bike, your feet, a horse, etc. The less you drive is less fuel spent up, which means that I don't have to spend as much money on gas. We're still paying less than the Europeans are, so I suggest we all stop complaining...

Either way, the Japanese vs Domestic on fuel consumption isn't always the best comparison either. Compared to the new(ish) Grand Prix, the Camry wasn't any better (both get less than my VW, the Pontiac usually better than the Toyota). I'd be willing to bet that our Avalanche gets better MPG than the new Tundra as well, given that its HWY MPG doesn't even crest 20 MPG (its actually rated at 18 MPG). We average about 17 MPG in a full-size truck, and have toped-out at 23 MPG going back and fourth to Chicago.

===

Either way, I still like Cop Cars...

...But theres always a VW to be had...

===

Yuk. Really YSSMAN, a Lumina? A decontented, stripper Lumina? Not even blind patriotism, or Nazi Torture for that matter, explains that suggestion.

I've seen nice ones around here. Sure, they're decidedly "average" cars, but its just a cheap idea. Most of them come with Recaro front buckets, and with fuel economy capable well above 25 MPG on the highway (likely would be similar MPG compared to the Grand Prix, given that they are the same car), it would be a halfway decent choice. I guess my experience with a nice Florida-spec Lumina 9C1 ruined me. It was green, had a nice-looking tan interior, and seemed rather quick for a car like a Lumina.

I know its not as exciting as my usual VW selection that I normally bring up, but it was a few cheap ideas I had laying around...

Yuk. Really YSSMAN, a Lumina? A decontented, stripper Lumina? Not even blind patriotism, or Nazi Torture for that matter, explains that suggestion. And for that matter, $3600 for a Lumina is a rip anyways,

I'm glad there is at least one thing we completely 100% agree on, and it is indeed the quoted text.

Sure, gas mileage isn't great, but as long as you're keeping your foot out of the gas, you should be fine. JCE's quote of 8-11 MPG seems outstandingly low, given that even the nearly Police-spec Caprice we had with a carbed 305 got well above 20 MPG on average. But I don't see that as the only reason why not to get one.

I'm serious, ask any Police Officer who drives a P71 Crown Vic on patrol 8 hours a day and he'll probably tell you "8-12mpg". I put my foot through the floor a tons of times--then I couldn't afford the gas anylonger so I stopped driving like a bat out of hell. And even then I could only manage 11~12mpg. Caprices are a little better, but not if you put your foot into it. (obviously) I love the P71 as much as the next cop car lover--but for practicality it is complete rubbish. It makes a great second car, toy, or daily driver for an adult with a good paycheck.

Sure, they're decidedly "average" cars, but its just a cheap idea.
A Geo Metro is also cheap transportation, but no one jumps all over those for much the same reason.
I'm just trying to say that I think it is odd that of the hundreds of models of used cars that meet his critieria, you suggest what is essentially a stripper model of a car that was terrible to begin with. There was a long list of cars that were sold at the same time that were considerably less bad (some even sold by the same company), like the Taurus, for example. But you offered the Lumina. And not even the cool Luminas, either. Its like offering up the 3rd generation Cavalier when talking about good compact cars, or offering the Camry when talking about cars with fun driving experiences.
It just seems to stick out to me, for some reason.
And I'm sure Luminas don't age like fine wine, either, so a used one may be even worse than when new.

Its a W-Body to me, so the Lumina name does nothing to make it any less of an Impala/Lumina/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Regal/Century/etc.

I've seen nice ones, and I've seen crappy ones. I just have a fondness for the Lumina Police models I guess. But given that it really isn't any different than a Pontiac Grand Prix GT from the same era, all we really have to care about is the outside styling...

What, no one likes the '95-'99 Maxima? What are you people prejudice or something? :grumpy:

No thanks on the Neon. My sister has one and it's probably the biggest lemon I've ever seen in a car. As for the rest of the suggestions, they've been really helpful (so keep 'em coming!). Honestly, though, I'm not really interested in how the car looks so much as whether or not it can drive. Hell, I don't care about speed much--as long as it can go over 80MPH I'm good. Keys are fuel economy (25+ MPG) and reliability (cars I've been looking at are notorious for long lifespans).

For some kind of reference, I had been looking at old Mercedes Benz diesel cars on Ebay. Generally, the pricetag I'm going for is as low as possible without anything in need of major repairs (for the Mercedes diesels, there can be no trouble starting and no smoke from the engine, as those cost an arm and a leg to repair). The reason I'm looking for cheap cars is 'cause I'd like to have ~$2,000 left over for insurrance costs (+$15 for AAA).

Back