He Proved Them Wrong...

• Thread starter Gturismo1
  • 30 comments
I'd just like to thank Yamauchi-san for including Photomode, a great feature.

What I think is funny is how ill-recieved this mode was just a few short months ago. It was entertaining watching people complain about how it will be stupid to take pictures of the car, and how worthless it is. Although people were angry about the lack of an online mode, or any online leaderboard feature, there was a total hostility towards the inclusion of this mode. All you hear was, "Who the hell wants to take pictures, I want to race", or, "This is retarded, nobody will ever use it".

Well they've certainly been proved wrong. If it weren't for photomode, we wouldn't have any of the beautiful screenshots that we have seen popping up around here recently. And just the pure beauty of these screenshots makes it all worthwhile. I think people were thinking too much towards the fact that you would be printing out these images. When in fact, they have found a much better use being posted around here, even spawning a new forum just for photo's and video's. I haven't even played the game yet, but I still tell how great of a feature photomode is. So, those who have the game, what are your thoughts, comments, complaints, etc, about Photomode?

Personally, when I get the game, I am going to use this mode alot. I am even going to see if I can a few of my pictures printed out on some nice high-quality photo paper, maybe blown up to about 8x10 or larger (resolution pending) and framed to make some nice artwork in my room.

mustang_4_ever
i cant wait 2 use it, it looks phenomenal (sp? lol) how does it work though, do u plug somthing into he back of the ps2 like the printer cord or somthing?

I am pretty sure you can use one of those USB Jump Drives, you know, the little keychain ones. There is a post around here somewhere saying which ones are compatible. I wonder though, if you could do a direct dump using a USB cable. Anyone know?

The photo-mode's main attraction is its flexibility. JPG is the primary picture format for exporting to devices, such as jump drives, and memory drives such as CF and SD cards, through the use of digital cameras. And from there, the possibilities are virtually endless. You can:

-Make them as your desktop wallpapers, gallery, etc.
-Burn 3500 photos in 1 CD and play them on a DVD player. (TV has bigger dot-pitch than a computer monitor making them look a lot more crispier)
-Send them to a digital printing service such as Snapfish or Ofoto. They cost about $.20USD for each copy.
-Design your own broschure.
-etc.

There are two kinds of photomode - free-style and pre-set.

Free-style photomode is where you take pictures through any replay by pressing the select button. The quality is generally subpar than in pre-set photomode, but multiple cars, drifting, and burning fuel 'pops' are only available here. Camera options are:

Camera spots - 64
Focus - 1.4 (more blurry parts) to 11 (less blurry parts)
Shutter speed - 1/60 (motionally blurry) to 1/4000 (sharp)
Color - BW, Sepia, Color
EV (Brightness) - +- 0.3 EV
Colorize - Orange to Blue
Landscape or Portrait
Zoom, Rotate
etc.

Preset photomode allows you to go to one of the designated areas for pictures, and the areas for car/camera placements are limited. Pictures are much crispier, and reflections of the car are much more noticeable. Unlike free-style, if you don't know anything about cameras, simply check on 'amateur' will change the numbers of the 'focus' and 'shutter speed' settings for a more easier read (like, level 1 to level 8). One personal complaint is that some spots are overplayed, such as the 'top of mountain' setting.

You can also print them on the spot from the PS2 through supported EPSON printers, and with the small ones it is possible to do this DURING a road trip, safety issues aside (such as ripping the airbag like the guys from West Coast Customs).

I would like to write more but it's almost 5 AM.

I was defending photomode from the beginning, trying to explain to the haters that they shouldn't judge it before they had even used it. And I love the pictures that are being made with photomode, I have them as a wallpaper on both of my computers.

Nevertheless, since yesterday I'm not sure I feel the same about photomode. We've had a little GT4-LAN-test, and the outcome was disastrous. We actually did get it to work with six players, but it was unplayable due to the commonly known "flicker effect" all through the race and some serious slowdowns. The best usable setup was with four people, and we've had unbearable problems with getting it to run at all.

So now I think PD should have spent more time with this. As it looks the game is not really finished, with some features needing some serious debugging. I suppose PD was forced to finally release the game whatever grade of completion it had. If I had a choice, I'd love to trade the photomode for a properly working LAN mode. I do like the photomode, but in the end it's just not as important. If I wouldn't have photomode pics as wallpapers I'd have other pics - what's the big deal? They do look good, but when I sit there, desperately trying to get LAN mode working I could easily forego photomode.

So, before PD considered to put in gimmicks like this and B-spec, they should have been spending more time with the essential parts of the game. And if they had known that they'd have to release the game prematurely, I think they'd have done that. Hindsight is easier than foresight. :indiff:

Cheers,
the Interceptor

I was very dissapointed that all the mags that reviewed said photomode and b-spec mode were a wast of time.........thaty can shuve it

photomode is by var the coolest addition to gt4..i love cars and i love admiring cars........

Personally I like it. I wasn't too sure at the start, but once I saw what was possible with photo mode I thought it all looked great. It's a nice way to appreciate the cars and as simple as taking photos of cars may seem, I know I'll be spending a lot of time in it.

I agree with the main sentiments that have been echoed in this thread. Photomode is a wonderful addition, and Gran Turismo has always been about celebration of the art form that is the automobile, this encompasses all vistas, from driving enjoyment, to visual enjoyment in well taken photos that illustrate fine design.

Great work by KY for including Photomode if you ask me. I'd rather have the single player game with Photomode and B-Spec, than Online multiplayer.

19xx
The photo-mode's main attraction is its flexibility. JPG is the primary picture format for exporting to devices, such as jump drives, and memory drives such as CF and SD cards, through the use of digital cameras. And from there, the possibilities are virtually endless. You can:

-Make them as your desktop wallpapers, gallery, etc.
-Burn 3500 photos in 1 CD and play them on a DVD player. (TV has bigger dot-pitch than a computer monitor making them look a lot more crispier)
-Send them to a digital printing service such as Snapfish or Ofoto. They cost about $.20USD for each copy.
-Design your own broschure.
-etc.

There are two kinds of photomode - free-style and pre-set.

Free-style photomode is where you take pictures through any replay by pressing the select button. The quality is generally subpar than in pre-set photomode, but multiple cars, drifting, and burning fuel 'pops' are only available here. Camera options are:

Camera spots - 64
Focus - 1.4 (more blurry parts) to 11 (less blurry parts)
Shutter speed - 1/60 (motionally blurry) to 1/4000 (sharp)
Color - BW, Sepia, Color
EV (Brightness) - +- 0.3 EV
Colorize - Orange to Blue
Landscape or Portrait
Zoom, Rotate
etc.

Preset photomode allows you to go to one of the designated areas for pictures, and the areas for car/camera placements are limited. Pictures are much crispier, and reflections of the car are much more noticeable. Unlike free-style, if you don't know anything about cameras, simply check on 'amateur' will change the numbers of the 'focus' and 'shutter speed' settings for a more easier read (like, level 1 to level 8). One personal complaint is that some spots are overplayed, such as the 'top of mountain' setting.

You can also print them on the spot from the PS2 through supported EPSON printers, and with the small ones it is possible to do this DURING a road trip, safety issues aside (such as ripping the airbag like the guys from West Coast Customs).

I would like to write more but it's almost 5 AM.

Although I haven't got the game yet and although 90% of GTPlanet knew this already..............IT'S JUST GREAT FUN TO READ THIS.......AGAIN!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D It's the ultimate way of showing of your skills in driving/drifting WHATEVER it is you do, I mean the ULTIMATE WAY!!!!! And it's ALSO the ULTIMATE way to show off the cars and offcourse the game themselves, cause HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SUCH A NICE GAME BEFORE, NOT JUST THE QUALITY, BUT JUST THE IDEA YOU CAN MAKE THEM BY YOURSELF TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::sly::D:D:D:D
I have NEVER complained about the photomode, I haven't suported it NEITHER:guilty: BUT IT'S JUST........................WOOOW:tup::D:tup:👍👍:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PS. Wouldn't use online mode anyway if it was there:idea:

i think the photo mode plays one important part of the game
when I was with GT2, I always pause the screen during replay and pretend taking photos
now with GT4 it makes my dream comes true

the best part of the photo mode is to share your beautiful pics around the world
it allows you to share your thing even without the capture card
that is great ....

The reason photomode is so popular now is because it connects people who don't have the game with a little piece of heaven. Once everyone gets the game, I think it will die out and be used less. I hope I'm wrong though...

to all the photomode haters:
picture2090iz.jpg

[ insert caption here ] ..... sorry, just had to show this pic somehow :dopey: :sly:

It's never going to die down for me, the pics are the same resolution that my desktop is, I'm going to have endless amounts of wallpaper :D

Yep, photomode is one of the things I'm looking most forward to. When you see a car magazine with the new Porsche 911 on the cover, you don't want to open the magazine and see a few tiny pictures. You want large high resolution shots. That's what we're getting here with photomode. A way to just appreciate cars for what they are. Cool and fun to look at!

I dunno, my opinion may change after I get the game, but right now I only see myself taking a few pictures of some sweet S2000s, then I'll be done with Photo Mode.

I agree, that photomode is great thing to be in GT4. Especially because there is so many cars. I can't wait to try it and thus create my own desktop pictures.

And he proved everyone wrong? As I said, GIVE THINGS A CHANCE. If a girl wanted to sing a song for you, would you allow her to sing for you, or do you reject her in her face? Do you want GT4 to just be a racing game with no way to have some fun with your cars? If this is how you're going to perceive this deal, then OF COURSE GT4 is going to be like all other games. I can dig Kazunori Yamauchi wanting to do photography for GT4. And when you have a lovely package like GT4, wouldn't you want to share your racing upsets, what's in your Garage, or anything like that? If you ask me, I'd surely love to take pictures in GT4.

PD helped prove something else other than Photo Mode being a success- that PD would say "what 'aging console?'" The game just looks lovely. GT3 was a high-speed thrill ride, but I think it's better exhibited in GT4. With all the video footage I was able to take a look at, everything seemed to be exceptional in detail. We go from New York and Grand Canyon and Tsukuba, all the way up to Hong Kong to Costa di Amalfi to Nurburgring to Le Mans. Say what you want, but for an "aging console, damn does this thing look pretty!

I'd just like to say that after messing with photomode for about 15 minutes last night, that it has a level of detail most professional photographers WISH they could get to. I mean you can put the car almost anywhere you want and then position the camera anywhere you want in respect to the car to be photographed. Then there's all the fine tuning of the shot. Man, they REALLY put some thought into this.

Now, only if the replay mode was as in depth!

Earnhardt
The reason photomode is so popular now is because it connects people who don't have the game with a little piece of heaven. Once everyone gets the game, I think it will die out and be used less. I hope I'm wrong though...

you are right about that, but I think photo mode is great in itself as well. It is a good way to cope with the wait, looking at photo mode pics on here. However, people who like photography and/or admiring cars should love this mode in the game even once everyone has it. I think i've put more time in photo mode than actual racing. I love how much like real photography it is. The only thing I would have liked is a way to change the film ISO, but the mass amounts of photography features already contained make me not really care so much.

I think you might compare it to GT3, where I raced for the cars and the results, and mainly for cars that look great. Now it has been added with some more satisfying results if you've won a car, they practically made the game so, that you might race more for fun because it's nicer, >>MORE<< difficult, AND they've also improved the satisfaction you get from winning a race. I remember when I first played GT3, I loved it but I thought that it was SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE to get to the point of racing a Toyota GT-one racecar, and when I FINALLY gattered enough money to buy a :drool:>>>Penzoill Nismo Skyline<<<:drool: back then, I thought I was in heaven. And now it's improved by the fact that basicly "the cars look EVEN nicer in another aspect of the game" So it won't die out with me:lol::D

When you take a photo of anything, it is because you want to make memories last. Another purpose is to show off something either in limited or exquisite detail. When it comes to cars in Photo Mode, it's kind of a combination of both. I'd sure like to show off my ride if one of the Photo Mode locations was beautiful San Francisco, CA, USA. Wouldn't some of you agree? You have the Golden Gate Bridge, the trolleys, the Transamerica Pyramid, Coit Tower, Chinatown, perhaps many chances to take nice pictures. Or if not, there's one my picks for a GT5 race track and Photo Mode oppurtunity!

I think Photo Mode is more of a chance to show off your ride to others, or keep to yourself and show off any way you want. I think that when you take pictures of your car in real life, you usually want to show it off to others, like take Jordan's royal steed, the G35 in his signature (nice ride, by the way). I think a reason why you like taking pictures of your car in Photo Mode is because you love your car and you want to make it show by flashing pictures of it in the game. Photo Mode should be fun regardless. If you love your car and want to show it, why not flash some pictures in GT4, dig? So give it a chance. Give it a try. It should be fun to use.

Swift
I'd just like to say that after messing with photomode for about 15 minutes last night, that it has a level of detail most professional photographers WISH they could get to. I mean you can put the car almost anywhere you want and then position the camera anywhere you want in respect to the car to be photographed. Then there's all the fine tuning of the shot. Man, they REALLY put some thought into this.

Now, only if the replay mode was as in depth!

As a keen amatuer photographer Swift has summed it up for me.

When I get GT4, photomode will be a regular thing for me, due to the level of control it seems you can have.

If it had just been a very basic interface with limited options, then I would have agreed that it would die out quite quickly.

However, what we have is the abilty to set the f stop, shutter speed, exposure value (EV) and then transfer them as .jpg files. A lot of thought has gone into make this appeal to those who know about photography and the results I have seen so far are excellent.

Personally I can't wait for it, sideways in the Caterham around the 'ring, heaven.

its cool for peeople who photoshop cars and make them look like cell-shaded pictures... now all their cars can be in any position they want.... 👍 👍 👍

Back