Head Up Display

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hypo_Pylon
  • 44 comments
  • 5,349 views
Messages
163
Messages
jonzster
So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on how to evolve the HUD

I would like the ability to completly remove the HUD when in cockpit view (I like how the map can be removed in the TT Demo)

The graphics for lap counter/times could be made semi transparent so they are not as solid, this would stop people who have plasma screens etc getting burn-in, as well being less distracting form the overall immersive experience.
 
The option to remove it would be good. I loved the Simple HUD setting in GT4... hopefully it returns for GT5.
 
Okay so after you posted I did a search on google for GT4 simple HUD cause I had forgotten what that looked like :dopey: and right at the top is this Thread on the same subject. I didn't see this when I searched must be because it won't search for 3 letter words.

Anyway I've outlined a couple of the great ideas from that post and I hope PD might listen or with luck already have.

  1. Toggle hud feature - A button to toggle on/off lap time, splits, how much time the person in front or behind , lap counter
  2. A race engineer with voice
  3. Pit board displaying your lap time position at the end of every lap
 
I'd like to just have the track map off, with just a little window for split times. I find myself driving off the Tach, and the in car HUD of the Z-06 in GT5p, it's IMO much better than looking to the corner, even though it's not a big deal to do that. It's just hard to see at times. I can't even see the flashing gear indicator in my peripheral vision, so it's pointless anyhow. You really only need your split times and fast/last lap anyways. IMO.
 
Maybe something like Dirt2 instead of buying those stupid bobble head dolls for your dashboard you could buy a bigger tachcometer and shiftlight or maybe even some other usefull gizmo for your car interior.
 
I agree, I hope we can change the HUD to limited, or even off.. I also hope we can individually turn off that damn gear indicator as I can't help but look at it, and it acts as an assist.. something I do not want while racing.

Radracing, I much agree with your post and I could see that being a possible feature. I'd also like to be able to buy different steering wheels, so after modding a car to race specs I can throw in a blue/black, yellow/black MOMO or something along those lines. (sorry for going off topic)
 
I agree, I hope we can change the HUD to limited, or even off.. I also hope we can individually turn off that damn gear indicator as I can't help but look at it, and it acts as an assist.. something I do not want while racing.

Radracing, I much agree with your post and I could see that being a possible feature. I'd also like to be able to buy different steering wheels, so after modding a car to race specs I can throw in a blue/black, yellow/black MOMO or something along those lines. (sorry for going off topic)

👍 Me too, I really like it at first but now it's just annoying. Every time it's flashing, my reflex kick in and i have to glance at it.
 
I would like full HUD options, GT5 TT showed that options are considered (hopefully full options in GT5). Gear indicatior is one I would like to turn off the most.
 
I'm glad you guys agree, and thats true about the reflex kicking in.. when I would play LFS I would use the track/ environment to judge when to start braking, but in GT5P I tend to use the gear indicator as a "start slowing in 1-2 more seconds" when I think the driving line assist is for that sort of thing.

Basically, the best in my opinion would be a fully customizable HUD.. you select in a "Race Display" option screen specifically which HUD elements you want on and off, while you can press a button during race to change the HUD from full, custom settings, and off.
 
I agree, we just need more options so we can customize the display how we want it.

HUD On/Off
Map On/Off (thankyou PD for including this option in the TT 👍)
Speedo On/Off
Lap Times On/Off
Steering wheel animation On/Off

Even if they gave us the ability to just toggle on/off the HUD - the same way it can be done when watching a replay, (press square) it is only one button (I know we are limited for buttons - unlike PC sims where they have the whole keyboard).

 
I would really really like to see the option to turn the "recommended gear indicator" off. I am not looking forward to putting a piece of tape on my TV just to cover it up.
 
So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on how to evolve the HUD

I would like the ability to completly remove the HUD when in cockpit view (I like how the map can be removed in the TT Demo)

The graphics for lap counter/times could be made semi transparent so they are not as solid, this would stop people who have plasma screens etc getting burn-in, as well being less distracting form the overall immersive experience.

It would be nice to fully adjust the opacity of each individual display item, including the ghost.
 
I hope they make the gear indicator completely solid and mandatory so that it can teach people a bit of self control :lol:
 
I hope they make the gear indicator completely solid and mandatory so that it can teach people a bit of self control :lol:

Gear indicator??? Self control??? What is this blasphemy you speak of!? Kidding. I'm assuming you're talking about the people who fly headlong into a corner at 120mph realize they won't make it and at the last minute aim for the nearest "cushion"? I'm not sure the gear indicator would help them. Plus, that principle is basically, for those who want to race with no hud that actually have proper control. . . let me adjust this cuz its totally messed up. . . Basically, its the idiots screwing it up even more for those who actually are mature about their racing.
 
I'd like the ability to turn the HUD 100% off when using the cockpit view on premium cars, and have it back if I decide to swap to bumper or chase cam.
 
The gear indicator prevents the player from properly braking using reference points.
In a way or another, when the indicator starts blinking (and because it blinks, it will be noticeable) you inconsciously know you'll have to start braking after a short while.
 
Im all up for removing the HUD features aslong as the dials and displays in the cockpit(well, at least in cars with cockpit:grumpy:) are actually readable,
It always seemed(to me anyhow) that I was always squinting trying to see the dial readout and it just seemed to blurred,
Its probably an easy solve by just making the backlighting for dials brighter and increasing the contrast.
 
Turning the entire HUD off like in NFS Shift would be cool, then its just you and the car.
 
An option to turn the Hud completley off would be nice for premium cars.

I kinda like the gear indicator, it doesn't bother me one bit but I suppose if I had the option to turn some of this stuff off it would be nice.

I would like the last split time to stay up on the screen like say near the last and fastest lap display.
 
The gear indicator prevents the player from properly braking using reference points.
In a way or another, when the indicator starts blinking (and because it blinks, it will be noticeable) you inconsciously know you'll have to start braking after a short while.

I like the gear indicator I can see it blink out of the corner of my eye. I like using this better than the driving line which I do not use.
 
The gear indicator prevents the player from properly braking using reference points.
In a way or another, when the indicator starts blinking (and because it blinks, it will be noticeable) you inconsciously know you'll have to start braking after a short while.

I suppose I can understand that. I have this knack for slightly lifting of the throttly by about 5-10% roughly whenever the light flashes. Its difficult to get used to, and anytime I go without playing for more than two days I pretty much have to get used to it again.
 
The gear indicator prevents the player from properly braking using reference points.
In a way or another, when the indicator starts blinking (and because it blinks, it will be noticeable) you inconsciously know you'll have to start braking after a short while.

1+
That's the main reason why that gear indicator should be optional, it's too much of an assist ...I don't like it because I'm accustomed to it since GT4 and this in turn prevents me from remembering braking points. But I'm sure PD got a solution for this whole HUD-problem in GT5. :)
 
Yea, I just hope you can totally customize it, instead of just on or off. Then you could keep the things that are useful to you.

I actually like the gear indicator. It's just too hard for me to remember braking points for every car on every corner. But when I play with a single car for a while, I don't pay attention to it, so then it would be nice to turn it off.

I like to try to use the car's tach, if readable. Cars like the F40 are too dark. So in that case I'd like to use the HUD.

For me, I think everything else can go. Does anybody really use the G force indicator?
 
The G force and the brake/accel indicators are useful in replays as they can help diagnose driving errors and unexpected loss of control. For example in the last Fiat 500 rollover video, as the car was pulling 1G corners, we can say that it didn't have stock tires.
 
I'd love it totally customizable but I'm not sure PD will be going for that option. It's not like it's a problem to implement, more their personal choice for what they want to give to us, but fingers crossed it's fully customizable.

As for the gear change indicator, admittedly when learning a new track I think it's a brilliant assist, just to give you a good idea when braking should be thought about, but of course after a while you tweak your braking points and disregard it, but initially I don't mind it, but agree with others it should be something we can switch off. Hopefully though we can keep the "change gear up" light, cos frankly, most racing cars do give their drivers this information so it's hardly an assist that isn't in real world use by all racing drivers.... the change gear down one though, is not a realistic assist.
 
So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on how to evolve the HUD

I would like the ability to completly remove the HUD when in cockpit view (I like how the map can be removed in the TT Demo)

The graphics for lap counter/times could be made semi transparent so they are not as solid, this would stop people who have plasma screens etc getting burn-in, as well being less distracting form the overall immersive experience.

Yes, it would also be a nice feature if we could move the HUD overlays to the screen position of our choosing.
:)
 
Looks fine as it is.. however the ability to turn it off would be nice but not essential. I happen to like the gear indicator thing. But as I get used to the track or car etc I know what gear to use at what corner with what car, so I can personally easily ignore it.

Overall it works well for me, doesn't need changing. :) :D
 
I agree we need more options for the HUD. I like the gear indicator, especially when learning a new car or when trying to find the right car settings. With that said, the option to turn it off when I'm ready would be welcome.

I want to race GT without a HUD or with a very limited one but the lack of crew/team/spoter voice hurts this feature. The one thing I like about Grid is I can race with HUD off and be told my position in the race and get updated. I believe the the lack of an effective radio info is a huge oversite because it's very much a part of racing. It's good to hear they are have a navigator for the rally portion of the game. Try racing a rally race and only listen to the navigating and no HUD or arrow promps. Good times!

The other option would be to offer a team B-spec mode that's co-op. I could have a friend spectate and can have no HUD. My team mate would tell me what I need to know. His screen could me the B-spec screen and he can keep up with: position, split, lap, fuel, tire, pits, and damage. Imagine this feature in endurance races. Each person would have to be team leader and when you change drivers at a pit so does your role and onscreen info.

This would justify the no HUD and add the the true simulator that GT is. You can't tell me this would be hard to implement and would not be used. Bring on the HUD options and end the radio silence. Even the radio could be an option to turn on or off.

*Sorry for any typos, on iphone.
 
hud off option should be nice
detail on the cockpit view age good enouf to read the real dails
 
Back