Headlights flashing

• Thread starter beegentoo
  • 81 comments
Germany
Bavaria, Germany
I rarely (more like "never") flash my headlights since I don't see any practical use of it.

I sometimes see players flashing when they were confident to pass but I closed their desired lane.

And then there are these players who constantly flash their headlights. I imagine somebody resting his finger on the appropriate button all the time. Or maybe they have made some mechanical tuning to their controller/wheel.

(When) do you flash your headlights?

I sometimes see players flashing when they were confident to pass but I closed their desired lane.

Than those Players feel like you blocked them and want to tell you "rethink that defense", as it might not be clean or fair! (well, i do it that way)

I flash my light in Qualifying on a hot lap when someone who is NOT on a fast lap blocks the racing line. In that case, i flash early and constantly until i pass them. Just for awareness.

On the other hand, a lot of flashing comes from Pad-Drivers using default button assignment. They have the "Lichthupe" on L3 (i think its L3 -> pushing down left stick that is...) and if they get nervous or over ambitious and put too much force in their inputs.

I use them if somebody has done something dodgy like a late block and you need to let them know you're unhappy. Basically one step below using the bumper.

IIRC there was a glitch that the lights of the car behind would flash when you looked behind, not sure if that still exists.

Ah, the invisible horn.

I use it like above when people significantly slower are trying to block my line or have just done so.

I also use it before difficult corners when I sense the person I am catching or hovering behind is susceptible to the psychological pressure. It worked on me until I became unflappable. It makes me laugh now when they try to do it to me and end up skidding off because they are too busy flashing, flash and burn.

In Gr3 and Gr4 races, I do it all the time when I'm following closely another car if I'm feeling faster.

That's the way you "should" drive a GT race car (kidding eh)
Source : I watch the blancpain GT series (one of the commentary guy always makes funny comments when some drivers are flashings headlights), WEC etc...

---

On the other side, if you do it in real life, on the road, because you feel like the guy in front of you is too slow, you're a moron.

Last edited:
If I’ve had a good scrap with someone during a race and they finish ahead i’ll often flash the lights as we cross the line to say ‘good race’ (while hoping they don’t think i’m criticising!)

If I’m coming out of a good slipstream at the end of a long straight to pass (like Fuji) I might give them a single press because I think that’s the ‘real life’ use for them and also long straights give you time to get bored and play!

Sometimes, if the car ahead looks a bit ragged i’ll Try flashing to distract them but that invariably causes me to overshoot, miss a gear or mess up, which serves me right really! Hoist by my own petard.

I wouldn't worry too much about constant flashers, especially those that do it under braking or cornering. I'm one of those people that inadvertently pushes L3 while using the stick. It's not meant to communicate anything to other drivers. Check out some replays and you'll see they do it even when there's nobody near them. Luckily, I use a wheel (or motion control on DS4) so it's not an issue for me in GTS.

Some people also flash their lights as an apology after braking too late. Most simply do it to annoy you or tell you to get out of the way. Those I will not give an inch more room than needed and they get the defensive treatment.

I'm well aware when someone is faster. Either start a valid pass and when you have overlap before turn in, you'll get all the room to go through. If more than halfway alongside before the braking zone, I'll lift early to let you go first. Otherwise let me pick a place to make room for you to pass. However if anyone impatiently bumps into me from behind to give me SR Down, prepare to get a brake check.

I think most DS3 users do it by accident because the default setting for flashing is the left joystick press and when you are braking/cornering it's very easy to press down as well as steer. I disabled this on my DS3.

Yup, that was me, before I disabled it on the DS3. Better than honking the horn like I did with GT6 - even funnier, took me a while to figure out I was the one honking the horn!

I give a single flash to say sorry or thank you.

However if someone is behind me constantly flashing then that’s not sporting behaviour. If I’m in front of you and on the racing line, then it’s not my responsibility to move out of your way if we’re both racing for position.

If you’re faster, overtake—simples.

I flash my headlights at the intro off a race if I’m starting in the top 3, that’s it though. I don’t use them in race, or blinkers. I’ll hit the 4 ways if I’m trying to signal someone to go by, but they rarely seem to get the point.

I see people flashing them behind me all the time though, not sure what the point is, if they want by though they’re gonna have to find their own way, ain’t no freebies coming from this guy. :D

Last edited:
To say hi on the grid, of course. Sometimes flash if I'm going inside, feel quicker, get the sense the other guy is nervous about me.

Click it if I've suddenly got close to someone and don't think he knows I'm there.

Most importantly, use it to have my pop ups unfold while sideways in 4th gear in the Stratos.

I used to do it inadvertantly, wasn't until I started watching replays in 'replay' mode that I realised I was doing it, I assumed others were doing the same. Explains some nasty comments in the chat after the races :lol:

I don't use them and never see people using them since I use hood/roof view and there are no mirrors. *shrug*

Not only hood/roof view but my radar will tell where the car is behind me but it will not display any flashing lights.

And the radar is kinda crappy. Someone can have a nose inside and it doesn't really show them next to you on the map.

On the map or radar? I find the radar on the HUD to be very effective, when someone is around .500 or so seconds behind me I always see them on radar, the map on the upper right hand of the screen seems to show just one car when they get close.

On the map or radar? I find the radar on the HUD to be very effective, when someone is around .500 or so seconds behind me I always see them on radar, the map on the upper right hand of the screen seems to show just one car when they get close.
Radar. I have had cars bump into me and on the radar it didn't look like they were that close.

I'm one of those people that inadvertently pushes L3 while using the stick.

Same here. Although, I will flash if someone divebombs me & gets too aggressive trying to pass. Chances are good that I won't catch up to them to give them some of their own medicine, so a flash of the lights is the only payback I will get.

Back