Hello, new here, looking for setup advice...

• Thread starter Q_Paul
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a G920 wheel and modified pedals which I have inverted and done the brake mods. I have used this on Xbox for a while (Project cars and Forza). I recently build a new gaming rig and want to make use of the wheel on there. My plan is to get a racing seat and use an old 40inch monitor I have to build a racing rig.

The issue is I don't have space to put it in the room where my PC resides and I cant move the computer (Its in my office for work). Are there any options for running HDMI and USB to the rig from the PC (would need to be 10-15m) or some kind of casting over ethernet.

Any ideas or experiences would be welcome as i would like to get more into sim racing this year.

Thanks in advance.

Any kind of remote play or casting is going to introduce input lag which will really suck for sim racing. If I were you I'd just run cables. You'd just need:

A USB hub for your sim rig - to connect your wheel, pedals, mouse, keyboard & headset etc.
A 15m long USB cable.
A 15m long HDMI cable. Years ago when HDMI cables were expensive people would run HDMI over Cat5 cable using adapters but that seems relatively pointless these days.

Don't rule out drilling some holes through walls to run cables if that helps. You'd need to drill a fairly big hole due to the size of the HDMI connector which could then bring back the idea of instead.

I have no idea if these particular products are good quality, but just linking for illustration:

Portable High Speed Black 7 Ports USB Hub: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Or maybe a powered hub would be advisable given the distance from the PC.
USB Hub Powered RSHTECH 7 Port USB 3.0 Data Hub: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
USB Extension Cable 15M - USB2.0 Active Repeater A Male: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
KabelDirekt – 15m – 4K HDMI cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for the prompt and detailed response.

Unfortunately drilling the walls will only really save me a metre or two due to where the door is relative to the PC etc.

Thanks for the product suggestions. I was looking at the possibility of using long cables initially but was concerned there may be lag? Is this likely to be a problem at 15m. I'm only streaming 1080p at 60+ fps at this point. Not 4k or anything. I assume with an active USB cable again there isn't likely to be any significant input lag at 15m?

This could definitely solve my issue and allow me the space to build a half decent DIY rig. :)

You won't have lag issues as a result of a longer cable - electricity travels at about 30 million metres per second in a copper wire.

There is a risk of connectivity issues though and that will depend on quality of components - a minor defect may well be undetectable in a 1m HDMI cable but may result in signal breakup in a 15m one for example.

Last edited:
Probably best off getting reasonably good quality cables then.

Great, I really appreciate the advice. Hopefully with a bit or cable research I can get up and running. :)

electricity travels at about 30 million metres per second in a copper wire.

Depends on the wire and the dielectrics surrounding it. E.g. signals propagate at about 2/3 c in 50 ohm coaxial cables = 200 * 10^6 m/s (the same propagation velocity of signals in optical fibers, by the way.)

Hi again all,

Just to let you know, I purchased a 15m HDMI lead and tested it. Everything seems fine. The limiting factory seems to be the quality of my old monitor. Tried on a new TV and the image is perfect. Maybe ill get a newer monitor when I'm up and running. :)

Now to find a USB extension cable and hub..

thanks again for the help. :)

on USB hubs I've been using this Transcend powered hub for 5 years without issue

20210303_054725.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation... however, I had already purchased a TP-Link USB 3 hub. Seems to work as expected so will see how it goes. :)

Back