Help a noob please!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Glowplug007
  • 9 comments
  • 962 views
Messages
41
United States
United States
Messages
Glowplug007
Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of the online lobbies are not very welcoming? Most of them either kick you out or don't let you steer before you have even had an opportunity to get in their way and mess them up.

As stated I'm as noob as noob gets. I really really really want to race online and even want to build a sim cockpit but with all the driving aids turned off I can hardly stay on the track in a competitive car. I've been trying with a lotus elise and that's impossible. I can stay on the track much better in an 86gt/ brz but even when tuned to the max pp for a given online race I get dropped in a straight line by anything- including civic type r's.

I know I need more driving practice but feel I have already blown a bunch of money on cars I can't use and don't want to keep doing that. I like street cars for now as I'm sure I couldn't handle a race car, and most of the street car rooms are around 500-550 maxpp. I'm looking for car recommendations for these kinds of races and any other helpful hints you can throw at me.
Thanks- really appreciate any help
 
Try practice with MR cars till you'll improve skill with them like I did on them.
 
In all honesty, you need to practice...dont worry about racing other people, just pick a car that you like, dont tune it, run it stock, and do as many laps with it as possible, then after you feel really comfotable, move on to another track, once you have gotten familiar with car physics, then you can start adding parts and see what kind of difference they make, just drive by yourself over and over again
 
Been there. My suggestion is to pick a moderately powered FR car, say a Mazda RX7 FD or something similar around the 300HP mark, and just drive it bone stock, without aids besides ABS, round the Nurburgring Norschleife on the stock tyres. That track will teach you everything you need to know about car control, and you'll learn one of the toughest and most fun to drive tracks in the game! Keep going at it, be smooth, google some general tips for driving if you want. Then step up to something like a Ferrari F430 Scud' and keep going at it until you're able to dial safe, complete laps of the Nordschleife. That's what made me not-so-noob back in the GT5 days! :D
 
Besides practice. You need to Tune. If you just slap on the parts and not adjust gears etc... You will have any car walk off on you at any PP. Check out the Tuning Forum and the Tunes section for help.

Also try to join a club or league here they have classes of all levels.
 
Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of the online lobbies are not very welcoming? Most of them either kick you out or don't let you steer before you have even had an opportunity to get in their way and mess them up.

As stated I'm as noob as noob gets. I really really really want to race online and even want to build a sim cockpit but with all the driving aids turned off I can hardly stay on the track in a competitive car. I've been trying with a lotus elise and that's impossible. I can stay on the track much better in an 86gt/ brz but even when tuned to the max pp for a given online race I get dropped in a straight line by anything- including civic type r's.

I know I need more driving practice but feel I have already blown a bunch of money on cars I can't use and don't want to keep doing that. I like street cars for now as I'm sure I couldn't handle a race car, and most of the street car rooms are around 500-550 maxpp. I'm looking for car recommendations for these kinds of races and any other helpful hints you can throw at me.
Thanks- really appreciate any help
add me mate if you see me online hop in the room. In my serie (in signature) we are really friendly and today we have a full race training/test so you would do great looking at our racing lines and behaviour.

also the gt300 cars we use are very controllable with RS tires even with no aids beside abs 1... get an rx7 or subaru brz base model and join us. :)

i can babysit you around the tracks if you need it too ;)
 
Also, a great handling car is, believe it or not, is the ford focus '02. Put the differentials at 5/5/35, is the key, seems to work for most FF cars. Something else you may want to do is open your own room, with your restrictions, and lable room nooby racing help, or along those lines. That way YOU can control who's in the room and the aids you want on.

With more practice, you'll get better, and you'll find the right car that suits your driving style. Mess around with suspension and transmissions, it's all part of the learning process. There are lots of people out there that are more than happy to help you out, add me if you wish. PSN VICGTR, and make sure you put something in the message saying driving help or I'll probably just delete you, lol.

Hope this helps you out, enjoy the game and keep her between the white lines ;-).
 
Look for some of the leagues that Run SPEC no tuning races. Everyone is in the same car with the same settings. This will help you improve your driving skill and chances are people in the league will be happy to help you out. I run in SNAIL but there are similar leagues. Check out my signature for links.
 
Beyond the excellent advice everyone has given you here, if you are being left for dead in a straight line, then you may need to learn how to tune the transmission/gearing for optimal speeds. Try this page (Post #2) which has a run through of setting up the transmission:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-zr1-c6-lm-viper-gts-r-team-oreca-51.291084/

That page is Praiano's tuning page and he is an excellent tuner....I frequently use his tunes as a base and then adapt them for my own needs.
 
Back