help g27 and assetto corsa drifting

Hey guys
i have a g27 with assetto corsa,Now im used to drifting with controllers and 200 degree wheels but i recently picked up the g27
I have the drifting down but i cant seem to countersteer quick enough
My global settings are

Overall strength: 95%
Spring effect: 0
Damper 0
Center spring 0
Degrees 900

thanks

Hmmm...I played GT6 with my DFGT and I couldn't drift to save my life. I mean, I was downright awful! Now, I'm not saying that I'm a good drifter in Assetto Corsa, but I can do it and quickly easily, I might add. I find it incredibly easy to drift cars in AC and I think that's because the physics are very close to real driving. I just do what I would naturally do in a real car, like when I'm driving in snow and having a little bit of fun. The next thing I know, I'm holding a beautiful drift in a Lamborghini Countach! :lol:

It's probably your FFB setup. It has nothing to do with the degrees of rotation as @Johnnypenso said IMO, you are better off learning with full 900 degrees than starting with 640 for example, you will pick up bad habits that will be hard to remove in the future.
Here is the FFB setup I have for my G27, it works pretty well:
ffb3 by Alex, en Flickr
Your profiler overall strength should be at 114-115% (maybe less if it knocks too much, but you will lose rotation speed), all boxes checked minus combined pedals and everything else at 0 (incl. centering).

It's probably your FFB setup. It has nothing to do with the degrees of rotation as @Johnnypenso said IMO, you are better off learning with full 900 degrees than starting with 640 for example, you will pick up bad habits that will be hard to remove in the future.
Here is the FFB setup I have for my G27, it works pretty well:
ffb3 by Alex, en Flickr
Your profiler overall strength should be at 114-115% (maybe less if it knocks too much, but you will lose rotation speed), all boxes checked minus combined pedals and everything else at 0 (incl. centering).
The steering ratios in drift cars are far faster than in your typical street car and that's going lock to lock at 60+ degrees of angle on the front tires. That requires either 720 or 540 on the G27 or any other wheel if you want to come close to replicating drift steering. Setup is also obviously important as you mention, but it's not the full answer.

The steering ratios in drift cars are far faster than in your typical street car and that's going lock to lock at 60+ degrees of angle on the front tires. That requires either 720 or 540 on the G27 or any other wheel if you want to come close to replicating drift steering. Setup is also obviously important as you mention, but it's not the full answer.
Real drift cars haven't got their steering rack modified FYI, just the max steering lock. And ask anyone that is decent at drifting on AC (not a casual) they will tell you to do the same as I do. Having 900 degrees and 58* of lock is always going to be more realistic than having 540 degrees and 58*.

Real drift cars haven't got their steering rack modified FYI, just the max steering lock. And ask anyone that is decent at drifting on AC (not a casual) they will tell you to do the same as I do. Having 900 degrees and 58* of lock is always going to be more realistic than having 540 degrees and 58*.

That's kind of true but, a lot of guys shorten the arms on the steering knuckles, which decreases the amount of turns the steering has to do to get full lock, while increasing the steering angle. So it's true most don't modify the rack its self, but do end up with the same effect as having a quicker steering rack. My friend had done this mod on his knuckles and the steering went from a little over 1080 degrees to around 900 degrees.

When I had a G25 I used to have to flick it to do any high angle drifting with 900 degrees, it's not fast enough to countersteer on it's own, but I did enjoy driving it like that.

That's kind of true but, a lot of guys shorten the arms on the steering knuckles, which decreases the amount of turns the steering has to do to get full lock, while increasing the steering angle. So it's true most don't modify the rack its self, but do end up with the same effect as having a quicker steering rack. My friend had done this mod on his knuckles and the steering went from a little over 1080 degrees to around 900 degrees.

When I had a G25 I used to have to flick it to do any high angle drifting with 900 degrees, it's not fast enough to countersteer on it's own, but I did enjoy driving it like that.
But as you said, it rarely gets under 900.

how would you flick the wheel? never heard of it :confused:
Basically when you drift aggressively with high angle, you have to throw the steering wheel in the direction you want to countersteer, because otherwise the car will spin out as the steering won't self center fast enough. Most people only do lazy drift where they only throw the car sideways as fast as the steering will catch it automatically.

But as you said, it rarely gets under 900.
Probably true, I personally wouldn't like steering much quicker than that, it would feel like cheating. But I can see why 720 degrees would be useful for learning in a sim, especially with a less powerful wheel like g25/27.

how would you flick the wheel? never heard of it :confused:
This is flicking the wheel:

Basically when you drift aggressively with high angle, you have to throw the steering wheel in the direction you want to countersteer, because otherwise the car will spin out as the steering won't self center fast enough. Most people only do lazy drift where they only throw the car sideways as fast as the steering will catch it automatically.

Probably true, I personally wouldn't like steering much quicker than that, it would feel like cheating. But I can see why 720 degrees would be useful for learning in a sim, especially with a less powerful wheel like g25/27.
Honestly, it might help you actually getting sideways sooner but you will have to spend more time removing bad habits later when you shift to 900. And I agree with the cheating part, you can transition much quicker, too quick to be realistic IMO.

This is flicking the wheel:

Honestly, it might help you actually getting sideways sooner but you will have to spend more time removing bad habits later when you shift to 900. And I agree with the cheating part, you can transition much quicker, too quick to be realistic IMO.

Nice Video of Ueo Katsuhiro, I was a big fan of his. Nice example of flicking the wheel, I had a video of a 180sx in mind but I couldn't find it.

I think spinning the steering wheel is part of the skill of drifting, making the steering too quick takes some of the skill out of it in my opinion. Like driving a go kart they take pretty much no skill to drift.

Nice Video of Ueo Katsuhiro, I was a big fan of his. Nice example of flicking the wheel, I had a video of a 180sx in mind but I couldn't find it.

I think spinning the steering wheel is part of the skill of drifting, making the steering too quick takes some of the skill out of it in my opinion. Like driving a go kart they take pretty much no skill to drift.
I totally agree, flicking the wheel like that is like a shot of adrenaline, and gives you a ton of style.

It looks like you're doing it right. I also would recommend you try having the overall effects strength in the logitech profiler at over 100. Anywhere between 101 and 107 is usually good. It gives the wheel better feel around the center. Some people don't like it, so try it out and see what you think.

Drifting to me is easier if you have Stability Control set to 100% in Game! Mess around with the Logitech Profiler settings to get a better response with the car in game. I would change some setting like Overall, Spring and Damper effects. You could always try and Disable Game Setting, "Allow game to Adjust settings" Check box that might help. Here is a video of Assetto Corsa Online in a open lobby drifting w/ Logitech G27.
Set to 1080p HD!

Back