Help me build the sim setup I've wanted the last 30 yrs

United States
United States
Long time lover of racing games here. I recently downloaded F1 2019 on Xbox and quite enjoyed myself with a controller but longed for a wheel setup. This led to some searching on Amazon for a wheel but then falling into the sim racing rabbit hole and realizing how far things have come. I definitely want to get a wheel and cockpit for Xbox and PC use first. I do like the idea of PS5 compatibility for use on GT7 when it releases but that is far off. I have a 7 year old PC which was good at the time but old and slow now. It'll play AC though and which I do have a copy of.

Wheels
Leaning toward the Fanatec Forza Motorsport wheel bundle which includes the CS 2.5 base, xbox one hub, forza wheel, CS V3 pedals, CS shifter v1.5. It's probably a bit more than I wanted to spend but I appreciate quality and you only live once. Speaking of that would a stretch toward a DD1 base be noticeably nicer of an experience. I can afford the difference. Would I even notice the DD1 base when playing on the Xbox or only PC?

Cockpit
Simlab GT1-evo or Trak racer TR-80. Definitely am open to others but don't want to regret something later like I think I would with some of the chintzier offerings. I was thinking of adding casters to either so I can move it to the side of my theatre room when not needed.

Monitor
At first I'm thinking of using my 65" Samsung qn65q65fn QLED tv. It has a motion rate of 240hz,

PC upgrade
Stage 2 of this will be to buy a new pc for sim use. When I do that will I still be able to use the above display? I assume most graphics cards have HDMI out? I've been out of the PC game for 7 years.

Other easy option is to buy a Logitech G29 wheel and camp chair for awhile to see if I like it. Waste of money or worthwhile research time to see if I enjoy? Doing this would also let me start enjoying in a few days vs a 1-2 months as I think I'll be waiting for shipping with most cockpits.

Long time lover of racing games here. I recently downloaded F1 2019 on Xbox and quite enjoyed myself with a controller but longed for a wheel setup. This led to some searching on Amazon for a wheel but then falling into the sim racing rabbit hole and realizing how far things have come. I definitely want to get a wheel and cockpit for Xbox and PC use first. I do like the idea of PS5 compatibility for use on GT7 when it releases but that is far off. I have a 7 year old PC which was good at the time but old and slow now. It'll play AC though and which I do have a copy of.

Wheels
Leaning toward the Fanatec Forza Motorsport wheel bundle which includes the CS 2.5 base, xbox one hub, forza wheel, CS V3 pedals, CS shifter v1.5. It's probably a bit more than I wanted to spend but I appreciate quality and you only live once. Speaking of that would a stretch toward a DD1 base be noticeably nicer of an experience. I can afford the difference. Would I even notice the DD1 base when playing on the Xbox or only PC?

Cockpit
Simlab GT1-evo or Trak racer TR-80. Definitely am open to others but don't want to regret something later like I think I would with some of the chintzier offerings. I was thinking of adding casters to either so I can move it to the side of my theatre room when not needed.

Monitor
At first I'm thinking of using my 65" Samsung qn65q65fn QLED tv. It has a motion rate of 240hz,

PC upgrade
Stage 2 of this will be to buy a new pc for sim use. When I do that will I still be able to use the above display? I assume most graphics cards have HDMI out? I've been out of the PC game for 7 years.

Other easy option is to buy a Logitech G29 wheel and camp chair for awhile to see if I like it. Waste of money or worthwhile research time to see if I enjoy? Doing this would also let me start enjoying in a few days vs a 1-2 months as I think I'll be waiting for shipping with most cockpits.

I would go with the Logitech & see how you get on. No sense in spending loads of money only to find you don't enjoy it/prefer your controller.

Also if you take good care of it you wouldn't lose hardly any money if you decided to sell the G29 & chair, people are always on the lookout for them.

Good luck !

Good input. If resale is like that then I might just start that way. Is a Logitech G290 good enough to determine if I'll like things overall? Just don't want to hamstring my initial experience.

Good input. If resale is like that then I might just start that way. Is a Logitech G290 good enough to determine if I'll like things overall? Just don't want to hamstring my initial experience.

Definitely. It's a good wheel set, great value for money. Many people on here have it.

G920 purchased, will be delivered Wednesday. This will give me some time to see how much I enjoy using a wheel and also time to decide on proper hardware If I love it.

Back