Help me choose the right wheel

• Thread starter ststav01
  • 83 comments
Hi! I received my T300 Rs Gt Edition less than a week ago. I've bought it on Eprice (don't know if it's only italian site or not) for € 300, on sale at 25% off (than average prices I've seen around, like amazon for example).
After some hours playing GTS I can say I'm really happy of how it works! FFB is reeeeeally strong (had to turn it a bit softer [like from 5 to 3] to drive comfortable). Wheel materials (fine plastic and metal) seem to be pretty strong and (I hope) durable. With the updated (version 27) firmware, you can easily install linking the wheel to pc, I didn't have any problem with FFB or any button. But the best consideration that can be done is about the fact you can also have T3PA with this bundle. I think that this makes the big difference! It's really really many times better than other simple plastic pedals been sold around (with not so lower prices). Consider the investment of 50 € more to have make-the-difference-pedals :D

I keep reading all these reviews about the T300 burning up. This is my major concern. That's what pushes me to the G29. I can get it and a stand for a little more than the T300 alone.

Btw, Fanatec is way out of my price range here in the states.

I use the hell out of my T300 and haven't had a single issue. Also, the belt drive technology is simply better read any professional review to see that. Having said all that, the G29 has been around for a long time and is popular for a reason, it's a good wheel. A friend of mine has the G29 and after trying my wheel he noticed the gears in his, but up to that point he had been perfectly happy. Bottom line, both wheels will probably give you years of great racing.

I use the hell out of my T300 and haven't had a single issue. Also, the belt drive technology is simply better read any professional review to see that. Having said all that, the G29 has been around for a long time and is popular for a reason, it's a good wheel. A friend of mine has the G29 and after trying my wheel he noticed the gears in his, but up to that point he had been perfectly happy. Bottom line, both wheels will probably give you years of great racing.

Agree with you! I decided for T300 rs gt edition only because of the bundle with T3PA pedals for € 300. I found G29 for € 270. If we think that the weels are quite the same quality, is the difference from G29 pedals and T3PA worth for 30 €?

Hello all,

after 2-3 weeks of GT Sport and DS4 I decided it is time ot get a wheel. Don't get me wrong DS4 feels great and I managed to get some pretty decent times on most of the tracks (.300/400 of top 10) but what it lacks mostly, in my opinion, is the throttle/break response due to the small ark of the triggers which are...triggers not gas/break pedals. So after giving it a thought I believe that I'll be able to "cut" those .3/4 seconds with proper pedal response which will eventually increase my exit speed from corners. I would personally love to play with motion control on DS4 and have a pedal set as an add-on but that's not possible :) So here is where my dilemma starts, what kind of wheel to get and I'll make some bulet points so that you can help me

Preconditions:
- I've played lots of racing games with DS4/keyboard and I a decent understanding of the mechanics/physics
- this is going to be my first "pro" wheel (I do not count one of my old wheels which didn't have any FFB)
- in the future I will probably get Playseat Challenge because it can be folded and saves lots of space

The wheels I've been reading reviews about are:

- Thrustmaster T150 Pro
- Thrustmaster T300
- Logitech G29

- Thrustmaster T150 Pro - I decided to go with the pro version as every review states - the stock pedals are trash
Pros
* Hybrid system (compared to G29's gear system)
* low price
Cons
* low quality plastics
* 12 bits (4096 steps) - is this really noticeable compared to 16 bit wheels ?

- Thrustmaster T300RS - ideally the GT version would be the optimal variant because it comes with the T3PA pedals, and as in T150's stock pedals - T300RS's are trash
Pros
* better FFB
* brushless motor
* better quality
* 16 bits (~65k steps)
Cons
* now the biggest con here is the reliability of those wheels, I've read several topics where people are complaining with faulty FFB, random button clicks while playing and stuff like that - so personally I do not want to spend that much money on something that might become faulty, moreover if this happens 1-2 weeks after the purchase
* changeable rims - now this is a pro for most people but to me is con and the reason for this is the following - this increases the price, no doubt, but it also "helps" the issue with the random button clicks because of the PS2 connector which can become loose.

- Logitech G29 - now, to be honest, this is the wheel I know the least about
Pros
* relatively better reliablity ratio compared to TS
* nice quality
Cons
* old gear system
* low pedal resolution

So my questions would be
1. Which wheel would you prefer?
2. Should I go with T300RS/GT or T150 Pro would do the job as well? Is the difference between T150/T300 huge? Is the price difference worth it?
3. What about the G29 - how is it compared to TS?

How much time it would take me to get used to the wheel approximately? Is it something that would become natural after a few hours/days or it will take a month?
Thanks for everyone!

If you are quite a good driver with pad, you will become a better driver in less than a couple of weeks IMO. Specially is you learn driving without ASM and TCS from the beginning.

Agree with you! I decided for T300 rs gt edition only because of the bundle with T3PA pedals for € 300. I found G29 for € 270. If we think that the weels are quite the same quality, is the difference from G29 pedals and T3PA worth for 30 €?

T300/T3PA with 30 € more vs G29 with just 30 € less?
No brainer (on paper):go for the TM.

In my opinion yes. But I also think the T300 is a better wheel making that the obvious choice.

Regarding the transition from pad to wheel - it varies a lot from one person to another, but I think generally the better you are with a pad, the longer it will take to transition. Someone like yourself who is good with a pad - it may take months to get better with a wheel. Some people never transition - my work colleague tried, but didn't like it and after two weeks went back to a pad.

This is why I think you should aim for a good deal on a budget wheel to use for the first year or so - not everyone likes a wheel. Make sure you budget for a good quality wheel stand or if you have the space (and a very understanding wife) a good quality rig. You may be able to get a stand or rig secondhand, but never buy wheels secondhand unless it is from a trusted source.

If possible buy your wheel with a 3 year extended warranty.

When you start to transition start the game again - if possible under a new account so there is no temptation to compare times. By the time you have completed a driving game you should have successfully transitioned.

I'm also a satisfied T300 user. Previously I've had a T150 and the T300 is more expensive but you get more 'quality feel' wheel. Yep choosing the T3PA pedals is a no brainer.
Reason I've chosen T300 in stead of G29 --> upgradable with other steering wheels. I did not have the budget to buy the 599xx alcantara immediately. Over time I upgraded with the 599xx also the F1 wheel and in between also bought the T8HA shifter.

Only 'issue' I faced was a noisy ventilator/fan and fixed it myself.

I expect you will have to deal with a learning curve of a couple of days (?) to change from an experienced DS4 to wheel user. But once you get the grip you never will return to a controller.

Enjoy the time of making comparisons, watch youtube video's ask questions here and then make your decision. Have fun with that process!

Last edited:
One thing to note on logitech wheels is that they have announced that they are no longer going to make wheels. That means that support for wheels will disappear within a year.
Sorry this claim appears to be false.

Last edited:
One thing to note on logitech wheels is that they have announced that they are no longer going to make wheels. That means that support for wheels will disappear within a year.

Can you post a link about this?I cannot find any info about it.

EDIT:Either way support is a different story.If you are under " warranty" you'll get support even when the product goes DQ.

How long have you had your T300? I definitely like the idea of the better technology. Everything I've read does say the FFB is better. The only FFB wheel I've ever owned was an original XBOX 360 one. I used it for Forza, until the 360 died. I only paid $50 for that wheel. So any of the new stuff will be a huge improvement to that wheel.

Hello, i was in almost the same Situation like you. I have been playing every Gran Turismo since the 1st one came out 20 years ago. I always played with Controller but finally 2 Weeks ago i decided to buy a Wheel. I bought the T150 2 Paddle Set and its very good. I paid 169€ the 3 Paddle set Would have Cost me 205€ at Media Markt. I got used to it pretty quick and Drive almost a second faster than on Controller.Currently B/S and the gap to the Aliens varies between 2-4 seconds. It defintely ONLY! depends on your „touch and feel“ as i would say how good you manage Throttle/Brake Input.

Actually I only heard it in the g29 thread but I will look and try to confirm.

There was someone in a thread on here claiming that this was the case, I did a search and found zero evidence. I think the poster got confused from when wheelmakers & Sony were having their little spat and Logitech said they were leaving the gaming market - the poster linked an article that was five years old. At some point after that Logitech changed their mind, released the G29 and I saw an article the other day that says they are getting in to VR stuff. I took a second look and can't find anything that says they are pulling out. What I did find what some details of their Q3 earnings call that basically said all areas of the business are doing well and they recently bought Astro for $85m, so I think its pretty safe to say they aren't leaving the gaming industry just yet.

T300/T3PA with 30 € more vs G29 with just 30 € less?
No brainer (on paper):go for the TM.

When I bought my G29 it was £150, the T300RS with the pro pedals was over £300.
At the moment amazon.co.uk have the G29 for £212 which is too much imho - I'd wait, it has been as low as £99 in the past for a very short time.

There was someone in a thread on here claiming that this was the case, I did a search and found zero evidence. I think the poster got confused from when wheelmakers & Sony were having their little spat and Logitech said they were leaving the gaming market - the poster linked an article that was five years old. At some point after that Logitech changed their mind, released the G29 and I saw an article the other day that says they are getting in to VR stuff. I took a second look and can't find anything that says they are pulling out. What I did find what some details of their Q3 earnings call that basically said all areas of the business are doing well and they recently bought Astro for $85m, so I think its pretty safe to say they aren't leaving the gaming industry just yet.

So,pretty much it was false and misleading "info" from one guy -for whatever reason-.(that is what you are saying,yes?)
@lesoldham if you cant find any info you should change your claim because its against forum rules mate.

Hello all,

after 2-3 weeks of GT Sport and DS4 I decided it is time ot get a wheel. Don't get me wrong DS4 feels great and I managed to get some pretty decent times on most of the tracks (.300/400 of top 10) but what it lacks mostly, in my opinion, is the throttle/break response due to the small ark of the triggers which are...triggers not gas/break pedals. So after giving it a thought I believe that I'll be able to "cut" those .3/4 seconds with proper pedal response which will eventually increase my exit speed from corners. I would personally love to play with motion control on DS4 and have a pedal set as an add-on but that's not possible :) So here is where my dilemma starts, what kind of wheel to get and I'll make some bulet points so that you can help me

Preconditions:
- I've played lots of racing games with DS4/keyboard and I a decent understanding of the mechanics/physics
- this is going to be my first "pro" wheel (I do not count one of my old wheels which didn't have any FFB)
- in the future I will probably get Playseat Challenge because it can be folded and saves lots of space

The wheels I've been reading reviews about are:

- Thrustmaster T150 Pro
- Thrustmaster T300
- Logitech G29

- Thrustmaster T150 Pro - I decided to go with the pro version as every review states - the stock pedals are trash
Pros
* Hybrid system (compared to G29's gear system)
* low price
Cons
* low quality plastics
* 12 bits (4096 steps) - is this really noticeable compared to 16 bit wheels ?

- Thrustmaster T300RS - ideally the GT version would be the optimal variant because it comes with the T3PA pedals, and as in T150's stock pedals - T300RS's are trash
Pros
* better FFB
* brushless motor
* better quality
* 16 bits (~65k steps)
Cons
* now the biggest con here is the reliability of those wheels, I've read several topics where people are complaining with faulty FFB, random button clicks while playing and stuff like that - so personally I do not want to spend that much money on something that might become faulty, moreover if this happens 1-2 weeks after the purchase
* changeable rims - now this is a pro for most people but to me is con and the reason for this is the following - this increases the price, no doubt, but it also "helps" the issue with the random button clicks because of the PS2 connector which can become loose.

- Logitech G29 - now, to be honest, this is the wheel I know the least about
Pros
* relatively better reliablity ratio compared to TS
* nice quality
Cons
* old gear system
* low pedal resolution

So my questions would be
1. Which wheel would you prefer?
2. Should I go with T300RS/GT or T150 Pro would do the job as well? Is the difference between T150/T300 huge? Is the price difference worth it?
3. What about the G29 - how is it compared to TS?

How much time it would take me to get used to the wheel approximately? Is it something that would become natural after a few hours/days or it will take a month?
Thanks for everyone!

Logitech G29! Make it happen

TM quality seems lower than Logitech.Mainly because you'll find more internet threats about TM wheel fails than L fails.
In the other hand,I believe that there are a lot more TM customers out there than L ones.Its only my opinion but if TM users>L users then its logical to have more posts about TM wheels.
Now there are people that have great things to say about T300 with zero quality problems.
So it depends on you:
You go for the best wheel (with more % of fails) or with the worse (and cheaper) one that seems more durable?

You may be right on numbers sold. I just know I have that kind of luck. Dont get me wrong tho, if I could afford the TGT... I think I would buy it or a Fanatec. I just want durable and quality without spending an arm and a leg... plus my first born

You may be right on numbers sold. I just know I have that kind of luck. Dont get me wrong tho, if I could afford the TGT... I think I would buy it or a Fanatec. I just want durable and quality without spending an arm and a leg... plus my first born

IMO TGT should have the same quality -or other- problems as the T300 has since its the same company.At least you should expect similar paterns in terms of quality check and overall quality of the product.
Since its your first I would propably go with T150 (with t3pa pedals).Pretty much same price with g29,but better technology.
(I am a Logitech "fan" btw).

I currently have two rigs. One is fitted with the T300 and Ferrari 599xx evo rim plus t3pa-pro pedals and the second rig has the T150 with another set of pro pedals.

There is a signifcant improvement in force feedback going from the T150 to the T300. So much so that I'd always suggest to get it over the T150. I use my rig for about 2 hours every day if not more on the weekends. I've had no issues with either of my TM wheels or full line up of products.

The T150 has much more wheel drag than the T300 and has half the motor strength.

The best video to get an idea of the difference in ffb detail you'll get is to watch this here:

The guy uses the control panel to trigger all the different ffb effects and you can clearly see the power increase from the T150 to the T300. Also how quickly the wheel rotates is indicative of less wheel drag... the T150 is super slow!

my two rigs

I currently have two rigs. One is fitted with the T300 and Ferrari 599xx evo rim plus t3pa-pro pedals and the second rig has the T150 with another set of pro pedals.

There is a signifcant improvement in force feedback going from the T150 to the T300. So much so that I'd always suggest to get it over the T150. I use my rig for about 2 hours every day if not more on the weekends. I've had no issues with either of my TM wheels or full line up of products.

The T150 has much more wheel drag than the T300 and has half the motor strength.

The best video to get an idea of the difference in ffb detail you'll get is to watch this here:

The guy uses the control panel to trigger all the different ffb effects and you can clearly see the power increase from the T150 to the T300. Also how quickly the wheel rotates is indicative of less wheel drag... the T150 is super slow!

my two rigs

Thanks for posting your experience between the 2 wheels, I had not yet heard that about the T150 being very dampened vs the T300. I found the T500 had a similar issue, very dampened and did not spring back to the center properly during cornering, at least with GT6. I like the T300 on GTS much more than how the T500 was with GT6 (I sold the T500 so can't compare directly now).
I currently have the T300 and G29 and the T300 feels better and more detailed on every PS4 title I have compared them on. In GTS the T300 also has noticeably less center FFB dead zone vs the G29. I just wish the T300 had the same steering ratio as the G29 when used in GTS. Would be nice if PD allowed us to use the T300 degrees of rotation setting, rather than overriding it to max all the time.

There is an adapter available to connect the G25/G27/G29 logitech pedals to a Thrustmaster wheel. I have it and the logitech pedals work great with the T300.
http://www.ricmotech.com/product_p/rmt-t500w2g27p.htm

In general the thrustmaster wheels are of higher quality than Logitech wheels, but the Logitech wheels have always been the faster wheels in GT, this goes back to GT5.

It's very simple; if you want to feel exactly what you feel when driving a car, buy the Thrustmaster T300 or T-GT (if you can afford the TGT). If you want to go for top10 times, then you are much better of with a G29 (it's the fastest wheel for Gran Turismo).

Logitech has always been the 'faster' wheel, I can't explain why even tho I've experienced it first hand, with multiple wheels.

I've never been able to reach the same laptimes on a thrustmaster which I drove on a Logitech (goes for the old DFGT,G27& the new G29).

I love my T500RS + TH8RS but my next wheel is definitely going to be a G29, without a doubt.

In general the thrustmaster wheels are of higher quality than Logitech wheels, but the Logitech wheels have always been the faster wheels in GT, this goes back to GT5.

It's very simple; if you want to feel exactly what you feel when driving a car, buy the Thrustmaster T300 or T-GT (if you can afford the TGT). If you want to go for top10 times, then you are much better of with a G29 (it's the fastest wheel for Gran Turismo).

Logitech has always been the 'faster' wheel, I can't explain why even tho I've experienced it first hand, with multiple wheels.

I've never been able to reach the same laptimes on a thrustmaster which I drove on a Logitech (goes for the old DFGT,G27& the new G29).

I love my T500RS + TH8RS but my next wheel is definitely going to be a G29, without a doubt.

TM wheels are better in terms of technology (belt drive vs gear driven G29).Quality is another subject.
With that said,the technology of TM wheels make the driving smoother and gives better FFB,that could mean better lap times in theory.In reality its not true because no wheel will make people get better lap times and for sure no wheel is "faster" than others.Its all about the FFB and finding the best settings to get the best out of the wheels.

IMO TGT should have the same quality -or other- problems as the T300 has since its the same company.At least you should expect similar paterns in terms of quality check and overall quality of the product.
Since its your first I would propably go with T150 (with t3pa pedals).Pretty much same price with g29,but better technology.
(I am a Logitech "fan" btw).

You are right, the TGT probably would have the same issues. If I had that kind of money though... I would probably be willing to take the chance. The reviews say it feels unbelievably realistic. But, I'm not rich (just your average Joe) so I will be looking for something I can enjoy for years and let the kids play with from time to time.

Heart says T300 but brain tells me T150 because less or no issues. G29 looks nice but those cogs are big turnoff. I should try it though.

I just got my first wheel last week. I went with theG29. The only reason I chose the G29 over the T300 is I’m in college, I can’t justify to replace the wheel if anything were to happen. Best Buy offers geek squad protection for $40. Two years take it in and they exchange it for one on the shelf. When I graduate and get a decent job I think I’ll move to the 500 or TGT

Last edited:
Back