Help me pick what to do please

• Thread starter dylpro
  • 6 comments
United States
Illinois
dylpro98
It's been nearly two years since I've gotten on here, mainly because my PS3 bit the dust and I decided not to buy a new one. However, I now greatly miss Gran Turismo. I got a PS4 and I know GT Sport is coming soon, however heres my current predicament as I wish to play racing games now.

I prefer to skip some of the newer games like Driveclub or Project Cars, rather I'm asking about the big two, Forza and GT.

It all boils down to these 3 options mainly.

1. Buy Forza 6 for xBox One.
Pros: It's next gen, great graphics, livery editor, something I've craved for in GT. Cheapest option.
Cons: Family just got an XBOne and I wouldn't have great access to play anytime I wish. Fewer cars than GT
Price: $40

2. Buy a new PS3
Pros: I get GT6 plus any games I already had for PS3
Cons: Last gen, buying a used console.
Price: $125-Selling my old PS3 for parts

3. Buy xBox 360 and previous Forza games
Pros: Honestly, this is the least desirable option of the three. The main pro is I could get Forza 4 and have access to my car, a 1988 Pontiac Fiero.
Cons: Last Gen, Most expensive, buying a console and games.
Cost: $125-150 plus?

What do you guys think? Thanks ahead of time.

Absolutely that's an option, and I've considered it as well. I've had my PS4 for over a year now, it's not that I haven't tried non driving games, it's that I wish to go back to them. I've been playing Battlefront, Far Cry, GTA, a plethora of games on my PS4. I however fear Gran Turismo Sport could be a dud and have seriously considered just waiting until GT7 eventually arrives. In the mean time I could get a PS3 to enjoy Gran Turismo 6 and my other games on PS3.

The more I consider it the more Forza seems like the best option, I just enjoy the Gran Turismo series though.

Out of curiousity since I haven't kept up, has there been any new DLC cars added in the past year on GT6? Or any other features other than Course maker.

If you're looking for an experience closest to GT, Forza is the only real option (outside of, well, GT).

I just covered the car count aspect here, where you'll find a link to a sortable spreadsheet covering seven games. FM6 has less than half the cars total, yes, but consider:
  • NA MX-5/Miata/Roadster: 19 variations (plus 2 Premiums).
  • NB Miata: 12 variations.
  • NA1 NSX: 11 variations (plus 1 Premium).
  • R34 Skyline road car: 10 variations (plus 1 Premium).
  • Honda S2000: 16 variations (plus 1 Premium).
  • Honda Civic EG SiR: 4 variations – what happened to the ’94, by the way?
  • FD RX-7: 20 variations (plus 2 Premiums).
  • Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT: 20 variations.
Right there, 8 different cars account for 112 Standard, and 7 Premiums. Some of them aren't even real, but instead are made-up models in an odd approach to regionalization. FM6 isn't free of duplicates either, though; I've just finished running every single car around Lime Rock, and have come up with 479 unique cars.

Naturally, our tastes are probably different, but I find myself wanting to own just about every car in FM6, but don't bother with huge swathes of the GT lineup on account of them being too similar. Things like the classic F1 cars, Group 5 machinery, and IMSA racers really appeal to me, as well as the more balanced road car list. I also find the physics better in FM6 than GT6. Cars feel unique from one another, each having their own characteristics, and if you're going to be playing on a controller, FM has always been a very pad-friendly environment.

As ever with these things though, YMMV.

While I'd totally recommend FM4 18 months ago if you could get it and a system for cheap, if you're looking to get it for the Fiero – and I don't blame you, it was a sweet car in-game – I've got bad news: Microsoft "sunsetted" the FM4 DLC back around FM6's launch. So unless you already bought it for some reason, you won't have access to it. The base game was fairly good for the last generation, but the DLC is what made it even better. The monthly stuff was varied and cool, while the Porsche pack was the best representation the marque had since Porsche Unleashed.

I'd say find out how much you can get for the PS3 parts too. I'm guessing FM6 will still be the cheapest option, but it's worth figuring out either way, as PS3's are still falling in price. It's also the only option with free online play (though your family may have already taken care of that for you on the XB1). Actually, come to think of it, you should probably look at selling it for parts no matter which option you choose. :P

Just what I was looking for! Unfortunate about FM4 DLC. Seems I'll remain without a virtual Fiero for now. I find myself leaning towards Forza 6 now. Another option I suppose is fixing my PS3. I tried when it first happened but now it has sat opened as I never got around to closing it back up after not fixing it. The disc drive seems to be what bit it and online they go for 20-60 bucks. By now though I've lost dozens of screws.

I think I've decided to purchase Forza 6 for now and think about what to do about my PS3 at a later date in time.

So GT6 update wise? Community features? Can you gift cars like you could in GT5? Trading was always a favorite aspect of mine back then but I guess without the UCD it is somewhat pointless. Any DLC cars?

Thanks SlipZtrEm! I'll hopefully enjoy Forza 6! For 40 bucks I figure it's worth a shot.

Is PC games not an option ? Because there's a lot of stuff there... or you can wait for the PS4 version of Assetto Corsa as well.

But then, if you don't want to sell your PS3 games, find a used PS3, not only for GT, but it will also be easier to find one now than several years later when you go nostalgic and want to have a go at one of your old games. Or eventually repair yours if you can.

Why would you specifically not want to try next gen racing games like Drive Club or pCARS? Why are Forza and GT your only options?

My advice would be to stick with the PS4, get drive club, pcars, Asseto Corsa when it comes out in a couple months, and GTS.

Back