Help Me Plan My Car Life (new car search @post 290)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 420 comments
In all seriousness, there is a huge BMW following which allows those shops to exist. That's why that E30 M3 above also was able to reach $250,000 (assuming it's been paid).

Several months ago, a guy started a youtube channel to document his restoration of older BMWs on the side. It took off a bit and now he's most likely going into it full-time.
When I worked for Homedics at their headquarters in Commerce Mi, there was (is) a shop across the street called Motorwerks. They specialized in German cars. They had lots of BMWs come through. I mean, they definitely had some VWs and Audi's come through, though not really many Mercs, but they definitely made their money off BMWs.

We're coming at this from very different places then.

Maybe you're talking about drifting.

Having driven the M3 and NSX in fairly rapid succession, I definitely felt that the NSX was the better handling car, more willing to slip and more communicative about the slip. It does sound like it's not the best for drift setup, but I'm looking to drift (or race) either car.
I'm assuming you mean you aren't looking to drift or race. Having read this far, I'm further assuming that your looking for a collectible car thats nice to occasionally drive. Just seems like a Type R, for all its rarity, is kinda small fry as far as collectible and return on investment are concerned.

I'm assuming you mean you aren't looking to drift or race. Having read this far, I'm further assuming that your looking for a collectible car thats nice to occasionally drive. Just seems like a Type R, for all its rarity, is kinda small fry as far as collectible and return on investment are concerned.

Yea, it's not the flashiest. But I find it pretty interesting, and different, and better in some ways, than what I have already.

I haven't driven one yet. But if it drives like a 90s honda version of the RSX-S, I'll take it.

Yea, it's not the flashiest. But I find it pretty interesting, and different, and better in some ways, than what I have already.

I haven't driven one yet. But if it drives like a 90s honda version of the RSX-S, I'll take it.
As far as that goes, I have a feeling you won't be disappointed. A dude my sister dated back in the mid 2000s had one. The power won't knock your socks off, but its poise, especially with a few suspension upgrades was remarkable.
Also, please don't take this as me knocking your decision. I've voluntarily bought a Chrysler Crossfire (actually a really good Merc though) and a high mileage Land Rover Disco. So my car buying advice may be a bit suspect.

As far as that goes, I have a feeling you won't be disappointed. A dude my sister dated back in the mid 2000s had one. The power won't knock your socks off, but its poise, especially with a few suspension upgrades was remarkable.
Also, please don't take this as me knocking your decision. I've voluntarily bought a Chrysler Crossfire (actually a really good Merc though) and a high mileage Land Rover Disco. So my car buying advice may be a bit suspect.

Yea, I have a feeling I won't be disappointed too. I love hondas, and in particular, 90s hondas. I'm not so much looking to show off or impress. I just want to have some cars that I'll enjoy driving and which will likely appreciate over time. If it costs less to begin with, it doesn't need to be as expensive in the end to have appreciated. On the other hand, an expensive car appreciating can offset a lot more maintenance.

Yea, I have a feeling I won't be disappointed too. I love hondas, and in particular, 90s hondas. I'm not so much looking to show off or impress. I just want to have some cars that I'll enjoy driving and which will likely appreciate over time. If it costs less to begin with, it doesn't need to be as expensive in the end to have appreciated. On the other hand, an expensive car appreciating can offset a lot more maintenance.
Yeeaaahhh, that's the high end trap though right? You can probably own and enjoy that Honda for 10 years and only need to do some general maintenance. But a super and high end luxury cars are stupid expensive when something breaks, and its almost certain something will break.

Yeeaaahhh, that's the high end trap though right? You can probably own and enjoy that Honda for 10 years and only need to do some general maintenance. But a super and high end luxury cars are stupid expensive when something breaks, and its almost certain something will break.

Yea but it can overcome the maintenance cost more easily. A car that appreciates $100,000 can pay for a lot of service for itself. I'm not so much looking at the price tag of the maintenance costs or the car itself but value. If the car is skyrocketing in value, a $2000 maintenance bill is no sweat. If the car is flatlining or depreciating, a $2000 maintenance bill is quite expensive.

Getting back to mid engine for a moment, I'm kindof a road car enthusiast. Not so much a track car enthusiast. And I see a lot of difference between those categories of car. For road cars, mid engine offers a lightness in the front end and a feeling of balance and enthusiasm in a turn that a front engine rear wheel drive simply cannot offer. And it's intoxicating and I love it.

That has nothing to do with the integra of course, just describing why I think the MR2 and the NSX are outstanding road cars.

Getting back to mid engine for a moment, I'm kindof a road car enthusiast. Not so much a track car enthusiast. And I see a lot of difference between those categories of car. For road cars, mid engine offers a lightness in the front end and a feeling of balance and enthusiasm in a turn that a front engine rear wheel drive simply cannot offer. And it's intoxicating and I love it.

Kinda off topic, but cornering in an MR car is so much fun. As you mentioned, the front end feels very agile and so turn in response is high and mid corner grip & balance is great. My favorite part is corner exit though.

A good FF car tends to feel like its "clawing" its way out of the corner (especially if the car has an LSD and decent torque) - you kind of point with the steering wheel, white-knuckle hold on, and the car wrestles with physics to make it work, as long as you don't break traction
A good FR car, depending on wheelbase (GT86 is best I've experienced) kind of yaws out, depending on traction - you consult with the steering and throttle to chart a path through the corner, but it doesn't feel like your on rails unless you have a lot more tire than cornering speed.
I find that AWD cars tend to feel like FF cars at corner exit, but I've not driven many hard
MR cars have this awesome feeling like the whole car is simultaneously digging in, but also rotating, something like a slingshot - you feel like you are being wrenched around the corner by some other force. Your inertia and weight transfer vectors are basically pushing you around the corner while also forcing the drive wheels into the tarmac. It's awesome. Best experienced in high camber corners

Sadly, I've not driven an RR car so I can't really comment. They're all fun in their own way, but I find MR to be the most sophisticated/satisfying, FR to be the most playful, and FF/AWD to be the most intense.

Shame we didn't get the MK1 Elise in the US. I'm certain those are going to be worth a boatload of money in the future. Far better looking than the cyborg models we got.

This one is a little high in the mileage but looks really clean. It's tempting. I'm leaning toward waiting for something lower mileage though.

Are you set on black? I feel like the yellow is a lot more special as it was not available on the "normal" Integras.
Optimally white, but yellow is up there. Black is not my preference.

Watched this and was reminded about @Danoff 's thoughts on the MR2

These guys really captured my feel for the car as well. Although not taking it on the road, I feel like they missed out on some of the charm (even though they seemed to get a lot of the charm). Driving it on the road it really shines as it makes you feel like you're really driving, really engaged in every little bit, pushing the car, revving it up, just to drive around on city streets. That 7s to 60 is a big part of that.

👍 nice review. I like that they like the NA, it gets insufficient love in that car.

Optimally white, but yellow is up there. Black is not my preference.

These guys really captured my feel for the car as well. Although not taking it on the road, I feel like they missed out on some of the charm (even though they seemed to get a lot of the charm). Driving it on the road it really shines as it makes you feel like you're really driving, really engaged in every little bit, pushing the car, revving it up, just to drive around on city streets. That 7s to 60 is a big part of that.

👍 nice review. I like that they like the NA, it gets insufficient love in that car.
I'd really like to have a go in an SW20, see how it comes to my 986. It definitely seems like a less buttoned down chassis, I can't see a Boxster moving around that much now matter how much you provoke it (unless we're talking about 70+mph and a lot more fear). I'd bet the NSX is similar in that regard - stability prioritized. There's been surprisingly few mid engine sports cars to come out of Japan - NSX, MR2, and some of the Kei cars. Really wish Nissan had actually built the Mid4 - such a great looking concept.

I'd really like to have a go in an SW20, see how it comes to my 986. It definitely seems like a less buttoned down chassis, I can't see a Boxster moving around that much now matter how much you provoke it (unless we're talking about 70+mph and a lot more fear). I'd bet the NSX is similar in that regard - stability prioritized. There's been surprisingly few mid engine sports cars to come out of Japan - NSX, MR2, and some of the Kei cars. Really wish Nissan had actually built the Mid4 - such a great looking concept.
I've never driven a boxster, so it's hard to say for sure, but my guess is that, knowing porsche, some of the joy is lost. I don't know how else to put it. I'm sure the boxster is better in every possible way in terms of numbers (except $$), but the MR2, especially the slow NA MR2, is just such a great car for the street. That's my biggest point over all, it's a great car to drive on the road. It's fun at 30 mph. It's not a road trip car, it's not a cruiser, it's not great at highway speeds, I don't think it makes a great track car, and it's not fast. It's just... fun. Kinda like a miata, but better. If you're out my way, you can drive mine.

Last edited:

This one is a little high in the mileage but looks really clean. It's tempting. I'm leaning toward waiting for something lower mileage though.
Bid to $44,500 and didn't sell? Wow.

$44k is steep. $50k+ is insane!

They're a £15k to £20k car here ($21-$28k) for similar milage and condition.

I don't know what the mark-up is currently, but that's probably close to what you can get the new Civic Type R for. Depending on preferences, I could see why somebody would want to go for the Integra instead.

I'm surprised at that. Expected it to get bid past $50k.
I think he should've taken the money right then, and there. That car has near 80K on the odometer. For reference, the one I posted a while back in Miami was $65K with 30K on the odo.

I don't see an example closer to having 3x the usage than 2x being worth only $15K less.

I think he should've taken the money right then, and there. That car has near 80K on the odometer. For reference, the one I posted a while back in Miami was $65K with 30K on the odo.

I don't see an example closer to having 3x the usage than 2x being worth only $15K less.

Yea, but the 80k one was in great condition, and your example back in Miami was some time ago. I would have chased after that one if it not for the fact that COVID was putting a big damper on... well everything... including travel.

Yea, but the 80k one was in great condition, and your example back in Miami was some time ago. I would have chased after that one if it not for the fact that COVID was putting a big damper on... well everything... including travel.
I just don't see it, or I guess don't get it.

The owner bought it last year and only put 250 miles on it. I'm assuming the only reason he didn't accept $44.5K is because he's got close to that much + initial purchase into it.

I just don't see it, or I guess don't get it.

The owner bought it last year and only put 250 miles on it. I'm assuming the only reason he didn't accept $44.5K is because he's got close to that much + initial purchase into it.

I'd like something with around 40-60k on the clock. 30 is a little on the low end, but hey I'd go after it if it were available today. I'm ballparking around $50-$60k.

How do you feel about the 4-door variant, @Danoff ?
B-9-1.jpg

The problem with a Type R and the reason I would never own one anymore is because you can't use it. It's ripe to get stolen from any parking lot on Day 1. It's only useful as a weekend car and even then those "weekends" can't involve leaving it anywhere where it won't be monitored and gather undue attention. A trip to the mountains with the crew, sure. Car meets and shows, sure. Costco trip on a Saturday afternoon? That's just begging for a bad day. These cars are simultaneously too valuable but also too accessible to people who make poor decisions and that results in it being swiped, parted, and the engine selling within a day for $8,000 never to be traced again.

What you need is a car that is simultaneously fun and interesting but also that hoodrat kids don't care about. Any cool Honda from EM1s to DC5s is going to be spicy, especially in a big market like Denver. A bog-standard RSX might fly under the radar but as soon as somebody sees the Type S badge on the back they're gonna run down the mental list of how many cars that K20A2 will fit in. In fact it fits nicely in a Miata which is why I plan to swap one in the future. I won't ask where the engine came from.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a Hyundai Veloster, likely a new one. I was originally thinking of a 2019 model, but then I saw that a brand-new one is only about $2k more. (Which especially seems nice when two notable listings I found had 22k miles on one and 56k miles on the other.) So in the coming weeks, my dad and I will likely test drive one - and at the same dealership he got his Genesis G80 Sport, at that. I don't even want a Veloster N, as I'm more so looking for a daily driver that happens to be a bit sporty, rather than the inverse. (Though I do hope the Veloster N comes to Gran Turismo sooner than later.) Sure enough, a basic Veloster doesn't even cost $20k new. I don't think I'll need one of the turbocharged versions, either. Not to mention that even as a purely-ICE car, it'd still get better MPG than what I currently drive - my parents' 2008 Honda Odyssey, still with its original Baltic Blue Pearl paint.

EDIT (8/24): I have a recent update. I’ve found that it’s very hard to find a Veloster that isn’t an N, so I’ve decided to either get an Elantra Hybrid Blue, an Ioniq Hybrid Blue, or an Accent SE. I plan to do plenty of test drives in the coming weeks accordingly.

EDIT (9/1): I've narrowed it down a bit more. I'm now considering either the Mazda3, the Subaru Crosstrek, or the Hyundai Kona. As for which trim I'd be getting any of these in, I don't think I'll be getting anything too expensive. I'm thinking something that's about $22k or less, so definitely not the Kona N, haha!

Last edited:
Another one @Danoff?
162752662201d82258TED72753.jpg

I spotted that one that other day. So many of these are coming on right before they roll over 100k. I'll pass on that one. I have BaT alerts set up :)

Last edited:
Another one @Danoff?
162752662201d82258TED72753.jpg

Didn't sell. Bid up to $40k. I think there is a disconnect between what people think the price has gone up to and what it actually has gone up to. The higher mileage examples are not fetching a big premium. It does seem like many low mileage cars are either just not being sold, or don't exist.

Back