Help! My Sportsmanship Rating is plummeting and I don't know how to stop it.

Uruguay
Uruguay
I'm new to the game, bought it 2 weeks ago to be precise, and after playing through the entire tutorial, the daily race's track's experiences, and a bunch of the GT League tracks, I thought it was time to play online.

So for the last few days I've been playing the Sports mode, and the experience has been really weird to be honest. Like the title says, I don't know how I'm supposed to stop my SR from plummeting, let me give you a summary of every single race so far:

- Usually in a middle position
- Race starts, first corner comes, a few racers don't break and punt me and my SR drops.
- Throughout the race, I keep getting punted by people who still haven't learnt that breaking is a thing
- Usually there's one or two wall hits that drop my SR as well.

Besides the wall crashes, which are 100% my fault, how am I supposed to get a better rating if it seems like we're all 2 feet away from each other? Could I get some tips or something?

I'm new to the game, bought it 2 weeks ago to be precise, and after playing through the entire tutorial, the daily race's track's experiences, and a bunch of the GT League tracks, I thought it was time to play online.

So for the last few days I've been playing the Sports mode, and the experience has been really weird to be honest. Like the title says, I don't know how I'm supposed to stop my SR from plummeting, let me give you a summary of every single race so far:

- Usually in a middle position
- Race starts, first corner comes, a few racers don't break and punt me and my SR drops.
- Throughout the race, I keep getting punted by people who still haven't learnt that breaking is a thing
- Usually there's one or two wall hits that drop my SR as well.

Besides the wall crashes, which are 100% my fault, how am I supposed to get a better rating if it seems like we're all 2 feet away from each other? Could I get some tips or something?
Avoid race C since you’re new, it’s honestly one of the worst tracks to gain SR at, do race A, start from the back (don’t qualify) and worry about just keeping it clean as you move up the field.

Don't worry about it, next will should have better races. Interlagos and Tokyo are notoriously bad for SR. Race A is better but only gives very little SR which means one or two tiny bumps are enough to go down.

At @jasguer 's site you can see what you can expect for each track/car combo
https://www.jasonguernsey.net/gts/tracks/by-category
(see https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/stats-site.373054/page-35)

Red entries mean on average everyone loses SR on that combo. Tokyo is all red, Interlagos only scrapes by in GR.2.

Don't worry about it, next will should have better races. Interlagos and Tokyo are notoriously bad for SR. Race A is better but only gives very little SR which means one or two tiny bumps are enough to go down.

At @jasguer 's site you can see what you can expect for each track/car combo
https://www.jasonguernsey.net/gts/tracks/by-category
(see https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/stats-site.373054/page-35)

Red entries mean on average everyone loses SR on that combo. Tokyo is all red, Interlagos only scrapes by in GR.2.
Thank you, that was very informative. Hopefully the next ones will be better for SR then.

Avoid tracks with walls. I also am guessing your braking is inconsistent so it is hard for people to avoid you if something happens that they dont expect.

I’d say race computer. Turn all aids on and run asm and tcs 3. You ought to be able to win and get clean race. If this gives you trouble, imo you may need more driving practice.
Going online takes getting used to. It’s super fun, but at first I recommend prioritizing one thing...
DO NOT TOUCH OTHER CARS. If they get too close for comfort let them by or brake to avoid getting into a messy battle ahead.
Imagine your car is real and YOU are inside. Do nothing you wouldn’t be comfortable doing irl, and you should be fine.

Imagine your car is real and YOU are inside. Do nothing you wouldn’t be comfortable doing irl, and you should be fine.

Now if only people would understand that, life would be more fun.

The penalty system ...... and should be more severe if one deliberatly crashes/punts into another driver.
Create havoc on the track and black flag it is.

Pick a short race (easier to do 5 or more races), dont qualify and drive around gently at the back, dont hit anyone/anything and your SR will begin to go up, DR will probably go down too. but, once SR gets to S, you will br in clean(er) races wher the opposition will mostly be racing as opposed to ramming. In SR-S with a low DR rating tou will probably up against faster better opponants, use them as ypour pacemakers and try to follow them, then watch the replay to see what they do and how they do it, at somepoint you will suprise yourself when you realise that you are racing some of the, at that point dont do what I do by getting giddy and throwing the car of the road or into the back of someone. And finally have fun.

If you say you're qualifying at the middle of the pack then you're in prime real estate and instantly a target for everyone behind you, because a player's DR increases if they finish middle of the pack or higher.

It sucks, but as your SR drops, you'll find yourself in worse company in the next race.....so the only cure for being punted is pick a good car and start weaning yourself off of the driving aids, starting with ASM, then lower the ATC a notch or two (default is 3), that'll improve your cornering (and overall speed apparently). Getting used to the new settings will take time.

Don't drive like an ass.
Don't retaliate.

There's no way you're going to get good in two weeks, this game has a deep long, slow, learning curve, so just relax and explore the game. :)

Last edited:
Like it's been mentioned, once you just started, work on getting your SR to S first so that you then are matched with people that are better behaved. You can either start a race without qualifying, which will put you on the back and just stay there and don't hit anything, or you can also race the race that you've already qualified and just let everyone pass you right at the beginning (just don't slow down too much so that you don't ghost out because that might take away some SR from you). Then when you get to S you can go race and you'll get a much better experience.

The C race is hard on the SR this week because of the circuit, but if you already have a lap time on it you can race and let everyone pass you right at the start, it has a huge straight and you can probably get everyone to overtake you right at the beginning without anyone hitting you.

Try to be a little conservative and defensive. It's better to lose some positions to minimize the impact than to risk getting downgraded if situation calls for it.

Usually the first few corners are carnage especially when you are having ass drivers all around you.

I have been having great luck on C this week improving SR, and getting way better at this course (half of which is a straight anyway).

The key is to drive tactically. Try passing people on the outside, so if they hit you and you hit a wall as a result, they get a penalty. If someone is overtaking you, make sure you are near a wall so if they hit you, they get a penalty and you stay clean.

It does require different car placement to optimal racing line so a balance is needed but it has been a lot of fun developing a different technique for the circuit, sometimes going flat out around the curves and other times taking worse lines to stay safe.

I think this is fair, since I am driving defensively and any driver who wants to take the risk can, or could wait for a better opportunity, and I have been passed by players of more skill as much as I have been hit.

Also resist the temptation to pass slower drivers at the hairpin. They will simply draft back up on the straight and either get in your way at T1 or bump you to give you SR loss. It's better to slow down and time your own overtake on the straight to be ahead going into T1. Take it close to the wall, either hug the inside or when you take the optimal line, make sure to bump the outside wall when someone runs into you. This will defer the penalty to them.

On Tokyo, overtaking on the outside is better to maintain SR. Of course you will still get stung when a car in front of you screws up, hits a wall and you can't do anything with a bunch of cars right on your back. Just pray they ghost in time :/

Back