help needed with endurance races

• Thread starter bwanabud
  • 6 comments
General driving tips would include steering as lightly and as smoothly as you dare and are capable and do a hell of a lot of lifting and coasting. I'm talking adding your braking distance to your braking distance and letting off the throttle until you're halfway down the braking zone before actually getting on the brakes.

And do a lot of short-shifting.

In addition to ideally retaining a lot of your pace, you'll find that you'll be pitting laps later than you usually would and your pace will drop off much more gradually. Further to that, hard tyres and lean fuel mix are your friends.

The GT League ones?

I did the GR.1 race with the Porsche 919 Hybrid at max power, min weight, race hard tires, and used the fuel map to only have to do one pit stop. Check the laps you can make and your time to have your first pit stop just after the half hour mark, get a full tank and keep going with the same setting. By the end of the race you can increase power yet you're probably comfortably in the lead once everyone has done their second pit stop.

Same strategy for the Porsche one. I dialed the Porsche back to N400 for 20% bonus (and less fuel usage). Race hard tires, start with fuel map 6, pit stop at the end of lap 13 or 14, then you have enough to make it all the way. It's a marathon not a sprint :) I was 1 minute ahead at the end with all the other cars making 3 pit stops. It's a lot easier to keep on the road as well at low power.

Alternatively I also did the Porsche one at full power with 3 pit stops. I had lapped 4th place twice, yet all that power is a lot harder to keep on the road. The whole race was about 2.5 minutes faster than the low power 1 pit stop strategy, 20% bonus and easy drive is nicer though.

Drive smooth, brake a bit earlier, coast and draft when you can. You don't need to be in first until the AI has made its second pit stop. In fact it's better to stay behind and put the rubber banding to work in your favor while conserving your tires. As soon as you pass each car they tend to wake up and go faster. The only problem I had in the Nurb race was a car I had already lapped that started harassing me by getting the speed boost, overtaking me and slowing down again to let me lap him again. 4 times in a row. AI....

just got to level 30 and I'm struggling with the 2 endurance races. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks in advance

Same strategy for the Porsche one. I dialed the Porsche back to N400 for 20% bonus (and less fuel usage).

I took a different approach; I didn't worry about saving fuel and just gunned them on RM tyres and pitted when the tyres were getting lairy, fuelling for the same amount of laps.

On the Gp.1 one, in the TS050 with 100% power, I think a set of Mediums were good for 20 mins. The leader was on a one stop strategy but put in some slow laps before his stop. I overtook him while he was in the pits and pulled out enough time that, after my second stop, I came out right behind the lead group of 2 or 3 cars, and had about 18 minutes left to pass them (which took a lap on my new rubber).

On the Porsche race, I think I had the power at 100% but possibly lightened the car slightly and stiffened the suspension up to stop it wallowing about on the S curves. I started on RH, but it started you off on less than a full tank of fuel, so I pitted after that was used (can't remember exactly, maybe 6 laps?) then stuck RMs on because it was quite lairy on RHs, and divided the remaining 24 laps into three stints of 8 (or something like that). At the start I could claw back a few secs per lap on the leader, but it got easier with RMs and by the end, I'd lapped most of the field and had a big lead.

I think the key is to not over-drive it. It's better to have consistently decent laps than get in some flyers and then lose time on the grass. Keep an eye on the red delta from the leader and work out how much you need per lap to catch them within the time. If you can't exceed that to give yourself time for extra pit stops - if they're running longer stints - and the occasional shonky lap, consider whether if would be worth getting softer tyres and adding an extra stop. RM should serve you well, though.

Edit to add: I also always fuel for a lap longer than I need, in case I do something stupid like miss the pit entrance! Better safe than sorry!

Last edited:
For the gr. 1 Nurburgring race I used the McLaren Ultimate (no tuning or upgrades necessary), switched to racing soft tires on the first pit stop, stopped for new tires every 4 laps and fuel when necessary. I came out in 1st after the last stop with super soft tires and 3 laps to go. Smoked them

Last time i raced the 60 min endurance which was yesterday, i won with a good margin, i have won 5 times out of 5 , i'm using only racing hard tires, tries to get to 9th position before i do a pit stop when i have 6 laps of fuel left, i pit only 2 times, change to new racing hard tires and full tank, the second pit stop, when i have ca 6 laps of fuel left, does the same thing, changing to racing hard tires and full tank, but as you can see here, it is not necessary with full tank on the last pit stop, i'm not using fuel map setting, just have it there to see how many laps i can drive before i need to refuel, i have done the same thing with 3 cars, the Porsch 919 Hybrid 2016, Audi R18 Hybrid 2016 and the toyota TS050 Hybrid 2016 :).

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180101181647.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180101181802.jpg

The GR1 race is great fun. First I attempted it in the Toyota TS050 with what would've been a bog standard around the half way mark one stopper... But it annoyed me when the AI beat my fastest lap by 5 thousands of a second so I pitted again with around 10 minutes to go and then set the power to max and went about getting that fastest lap back! Easy win by about a minute.

Next car I attempted it in was the Audi R18 2011 in which I was hoping I'd be able to run without any pit stops. It soon became clear though it wasn't possible but I did go for a bit of a unusual strategy nevertheless. I went as far as the car would go on fuel mix 6 which got me to around 40 minutes into the race. Then I had to roughly guess how much fuel to put in for a super aggressive final stint with maximum power and medium tyres. I absolutely flew through the field with a car that was 3-4 seconds quicker than before. It wasn't all plain sailing though as I'd gone a bit too low on fuel and had to dial it right back down to fuel mix 6 immediately after gaining the lead to make sure I made the finish. This combined with some medium tyres that soon went past their best meant the gap was uncomfortably small for the last laps. I think I won by around 3-4 seconds. I was quite satisfying seeing the 20th place car being the same Audi as well. Think Alonso and Nelson Piquet Jr!

My latest attempt was in the Audi R18 2016 which by my rough mental maths should have been enough to go the full distance using the info from the helpful fuel usage sticky thread. Starting the race and the laps left counter wasn't high enough... so I had to aggressively save fuel. I couldn't have had a more perfect car for the job as these hybrid LMP 1 cars are perfect for the lift and coast tactics I had to employ. The electrical boost provides an extra 500hp that punches the cars out of the corner so you get in the vicinity of v max pretty fast. Then it's a case of lifting before the corners and taking as much speed into the corners without breaking as you can. With that I was able to get on and above my target fuel usage.

Around 35 minutes in I knew it was then or never as the tyres would soon be past their best and I wouldn't be able to use the excess fuel I'd gained effectively at the end of the race. So staying on fuel mixture 6 I started driving "normally" and started flying though the field with the driver who I saw pit last out of the AI cars my target to get ahead of before my tyres really went off.

I managed to get ahead of this particular driver in a TS050 which did prove to be critical. With the AI on all sorts of different strategies I did find myself getting caught by another Toyota TS050 which was being aided by the annoying Audi R18 2011 that had come out the pits a lap behind... I had quite the battle with that Audi passing and getting repassed several times with him almost taking me out at the hairpin... That had reduced the gap to just 2 seconds which to my relief but also disappointment was a non issue as it pitted with a single lap to go. With one lap to go I had enough fuel to go for full power which I used to beat the annoying lapped Audi R18 '11 and also more crucially the other TS050 that I'd mentioned before by around 6 seconds.

So yeah some close races. I think my next challenge will be something stupid like a Peugeot 908 but with only fuel mixture 1, soft tyres and a 5 stop strategy.

Back