Help with Drifting

United States
Colorado
I'm just starting out trying to learn how to drift. What would be the best car I should start out with and how do I set it up? Any help with this would be great.

garystevens64

Hey man, car choice is pretty much up to you. I’d suggest an FR platform, easiest to learn on and preferred amongst most people. As far as setup goes, I prefer a stiffer front and softer rear. More camber up front and minimal out back. Same goes for Toe settings. Because you’re starting out, I wouldn’t go hung ho for power, try 300-400hp and work your way up. Other than that your Diff settings are pretty important. I run 50/55/15 if that helps!

Thanks for the tips. I hope these make it a little easier because when I first tried i was going from one ditch to the other.

garystevens64
the easiest way to start is to play with a group B car on dirt tracks, disable traction control completely and start with the torque distribution at 40:60, wait until you're actually having fun sliding with the throttle, then set torque distribution to 35:65, it's gonna need a more countersteering. Once it feels great set torque distribution to 30:70, rinse and repeat.
25:75 is probably the last step on dirt.
Then take the car to Tsukuba and use the drift tab settings, set the torque distribution to 10:90, put on some comfort hard tyres, set all lsd values to 60 and go have fun on the track.
you can use this tune on any of the grB cars

(the settings are similar to what I use on RWD cars but there are some differences)

when you're drifting comfortably you can pick any rwd car that you like and you'll be fine after a few minutes. check my other videos for some tunes and if you have a request for a specific car I'll be glad to do it.

Last edited:
Are you on a wheel or controller? If you are on a wheel, try the FC or MK3 Supra. The Supra is a little more forgiving when you are learning though.

E30 is another good starter car. It’s slow so you’ll crash even slower :lol: . I would stay far, far away from rally cars. Don’t know if you play online or not, but that’s the fastest way to get kicked out of most respectable lobbies.

E30 is another good starter car. It’s slow so you’ll crash even slower :lol: . I would stay far, far away from rally cars. Don’t know if you play online or not, but that’s the fastest way to get kicked out of most respectable lobbies.
I was not suggesting he went to drift lobbies just yet. But 4wd cars with lower and lower front torque split are the easiest way to getting started.

Back