Help with slow laggy pc....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cobraboy
  • 13 comments
  • 869 views

Cobraboy

(Banned)
Messages
7,552
Dammit, Im pissed off with this pc of mine. I have 256mb ram and 64 mb of Vram and the damn thing still lags and freezes. It most often freezes when opening IE or extra IE windows... Could it be IE or my POS pc???
 
What OS are you running?

98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP.....
 
850mhz - that might be your reason.

Sorry, I don't know much about hardware.
 
Yeah neither do I, but I have been told thats the problem as well.....
 
Good enough to play 3D games combined with the nVidia Vanta chip in the comp.
 
I cant remember what Video card I've got, nvidia something...
 
Start > Run. Type in dxdiag

Click the Display tab.
 
Its only a 16mb card but it's good enough. Screw spending heaps o' dollars on a GeForce.
 
A 850 MHz processor and 256 MB or RAM should be plenty to run Windows ME. Your videocard has little or nothing to do with the problem. First thing you want to do is to run Scan Disk and make sure there are no errors on your hard drive. Second, run MSCONFIG from the Start > Run command to see what programs run at startup. You might have a program that's running in the background that is taking up your computer's resources. If there are any you don't want, disable them.

A last ditch effort would be reinstalling Windows ME. Don't do it until you run out of ideas.
 
Back