Help!!

• Thread starter Syrius325
  • 19 comments
Dominican Republic
Florida
Syrius325
Hey... Im new to this site but I've spent some time searching through some threads. I just started learning how to drift. It feels like it's impossible. I can usually start the drift ok but cannot control it. I have tried different cars with different tires. Im using the ds3 controller. I know it's gonna take some time to master but I can use some direction... Also how long does it take most people to get the hang of drifting?

Also, have a look at the stickied FAQ thread at the top of the drift forum, found HERE

In short though, I would suggest choosing a car that is tuned to between 300-400 bhp...my personal suggestion would be the premium Nissan PS13 Silvia K's Dia Selection (found in the new car dealer), and use TwinTurboCH's setup, found in the public drift settings depot. If for some reason you don't like the Silvia, try the Mazda FC RX-7 (again, found in the new car dealer), and try some of the setups in the drift depot.

No matter what car and/or setup you use, it will take time to leant to drift in GT5, as the physics are quite different than pretty much any other console game. Depending on how much you play, I would say it takes the average person a couple of weeks to 2 months to become an intermediate drifter (ie can solo drift most tracks and sections). Learning how to tandem (2 cars side by side) and drift train (multiple cars drifting one after the other in close proximity), as well as competition style drifting can take several months...and can take years to "master". Not trying to scare you lol, but IMO, that's the way it goes.

Also (and I'm NOT trying to start a debate about this subject, just stating my opinion), if you want to "fit in" with the majority of the GTP drift crowd, use either CH or CM tires, and stay away from 4WD/AWD.

I'd try a fair lady z34 or z33 ch tyres if u need help add me deanleeds14 I don't mind helping ppl I could send u a car with my setup but setups are down to personal preference but at least it will put you on the right track . I have been drifting for over 2 year almost every day and I still feel I could be better so can't really say how long it will take you to master lol

This applies to the question of "How long it takes to learn to drift".

In my personal experience, I started trying to drift in the middle of January. I am an intermediate drifter and struggle with consistancy at times. I can't tandem drift, yet. After several hours on each of the Drift Trial Seasonal events, I can usually manage a ranking in between 350 - 850.

I started out just powering into the drift. E-brake messed me up and I never thought I'd get the handle on it. I made the mistake of starting out with THE Cerbera Speed 12, which is very hard to control. I've put that thing away for a while until I get better at technique. I set up a Toyota Corolla AE86 and spent many hours on Tsukuba practicing the E-brake. Now I can use it when it is most beneficial. I still use the power in to drift on certain corners, e-brake on others. While learning the E-brake technique, I stumbled on to reverse-entry, which is beneficial on sectors with long straights prior to the curve.

I still have a lot to learn, but lot's of practice on different tracks with a few different cars has taught me to be "almost good". Watch the replays on the top 10 for the Drift Trials and see how they tackle the course. Just don't expect to do as well. Baby steps!

Everyone here has very good tips. I have to add one myself, stick to one car! You will mess up your techniques and learning process if you constantly switch cars. I find it easier/faster to learn if you somewhat master one car then move up as you need more power to your liking. I learned drifting with the Nissan Z34 (370z) with the controller pretty quick, maybe a month or two, I just stuck with it until I got it.

I've been learning with the wheel now and its a huge difference. One tip I can pass on that relates to you here is to drift with other cars. I find that if you're around the right people (calm/easy going) you will keep pushing your limits and learn quicker. I found drifting alone slowed down my learning process, when I learned with the controller compared to learning with the wheel. ALSO, drifting with others is only effective if you can drift at least a corner and have a very basic idea of what you're doing.

Good luck.

Thanks everybody... Ill try some of this stuff out tonight when i get home. deanleeds14 Ill deff add you since I could use all the help I can get. I might be trying to run before I can walk. It just seems like this is going to take a while.

Syrius325
Thanks everybody... Ill try some of this stuff out tonight when i get home. deanleeds14 Ill deff add you since I could use all the help I can get. I might be trying to run before I can walk. It just seems like this is going to take a while.

Sure mate feel free 2 add me and join my room when ever you see me online I'm always with my team or other teams and you will soon get to grips with it your best off following people and trying to copy there lines your drifting will greatly improve when your drifting with the right people I'll see you soon and good luck

IT took me a longer time to drift and even now i'm in the process of learning. I tried to drift back in GT4. That didn't work so well. so up in this game i got myself a known drifting machine, the Hyper Genki Silvia (S15). It took me a while to learn to control it. i was spinning out all over the place, however to get better i started E-braking into drift during racing with Racing soft tires. this helped me grasp the concept of getting into a slide. then tranfer that into a Comfort tires and it becomes a little easier.

Another peice of advise, don't think that you'll become the best drifter on the forums over night. this will take a number of weeks or months (depending how much time you have during the day). It happened with me.

Last edited:
I have been a bit nervous to try to drift online since I am total noob at it. Dont want to publicly humiliate myself lol. I'll give that a try tho and see if that helps.

Syrius325
I have been a bit nervous to try to drift online since I am total noob at it. Dont want to publicly humiliate myself lol. I'll give that a try tho and see if that helps.

Don't be nervous, I guarantee you that you'll see someone else your skill level. Just make friends and stick with them. Also, when in doubt, pull over to let someone pass. The map is useful to see if a crowd is coming up behind you.

Ok so I just spent about 2 hours trying to practice this morning before work. I stuck to one car as previously suggested (Z34). I was definitely able to make some kind of progress this time. I left the suspension stock since im not sure how to set it up for drift. I thought that it might be better to learn that way anyway (I could be wrong). I also found it helpful to stick to one track until I can get the basics down. I tried a couple different ones I've seen mentioned on here. I really like trial mountain. Now that im starting to understand how the car works I hope I can get the hang of drifting easier. What are some you guys favorite tracks to drift?

IMO, when you are just starting out, leaving suspension stock is ok (especially on a car like the Z34). You'll only start to notice changes made to the tune once you understand how the car behaves when drifting.

For starting out, the one thing I would definitely tune is your LSD. Experiment with both 60/60/60 (mimics a welded diff), and between 5-10/60/60 (mimics a 2 way LSD). 60/60/60 will be more stable, but tougher to get the car sideways. 5-10/60/60 will be easier to get sideways, but may be to loose/sensitive if you are just starting out.

You should have a read through Bks's Guide for Beginners. The OP has some great info. In post #81 of that same thread, I wrote up a list of some popular drift spots, including some good places to learn on. Also, on the last page of that thread, there is good discussion about general tuning (suggestions on where to get started).

Ok so I just spent about 2 hours trying to practice this morning before work. I stuck to one car as previously suggested (Z34). I was definitely able to make some kind of progress this time. I left the suspension stock since im not sure how to set it up for drift. I thought that it might be better to learn that way anyway (I could be wrong). I also found it helpful to stick to one track until I can get the basics down. I tried a couple different ones I've seen mentioned on here. I really like trial mountain. Now that im starting to understand how the car works I hope I can get the hang of drifting easier. What are some you guys favorite tracks to drift?

Trial Mountain is cool. I also like Spa. I have spent hours on Tsukuba, since it has a nice variety of turns to learn on and it's not so big (Spa) that you forget what you did for that good score on the last lap! :)

If you want a challenge... or frustration... try Eiger short track. I despise that track, so when I finally got 20k on the Drift Trial, I was giddy!! I'm still practicing on it, because I really want to hit 25K using the SL600, not Speed 12. Anyway, I digress, Eiger has banked corners, downhills, and uphills, so it gives you a great variety of challenges. Very difficult for us beginners, but if you can master that track, it's a huge accomplishment.

MetalJet
Trial Mountain is cool. I also like Spa. I have spent hours on Tsukuba, since it has a nice variety of turns to learn on and it's not so big (Spa) that you forget what you did for that good score on the last lap! :)

If you want a challenge... or frustration... try Eiger short track. I despise that track, so when I finally got 20k on the Drift Trial, I was giddy!! I'm still practicing on it, because I really want to hit 25K using the SL600, not Speed 12. Anyway, I digress, Eiger has banked corners, downhills, and uphills, so it gives you a great variety of challenges. Very difficult for us beginners, but if you can master that track, it's a huge accomplishment.

I think if I spend a few more hours on trial mountain and get comfortable with it I will try new tracks. I want to make sure I learn proper car control before attempting anything too crazy. Once I get a lil better tho I can't wait to try some new tracks to test what I have learned. Also would like to try some online drifting. I really want to improve some more before I try that one tho...

Syrius325
I think if I spend a few more hours on trial mountain and get comfortable with it I will try new tracks. I want to make sure I learn proper car control before attempting anything too crazy. Once I get a lil better tho I can't wait to try some new tracks to test what I have learned. Also would like to try some online drifting. I really want to improve some more before I try that one tho...

A good section to learn on is the d1 section on high speed ring it's probably the most simple section on gt5 it's just an s bend I found it really help full for learning how to transition

There's a whole bunch of different tracks you should try. IMO, Trial Mountain isn't the best learner track, due to the elevation changes and banking. Some suggestions:

Tsukuba
Autumn Ring Mini Reverse
Suzuka East (both directions)
Indy Road Course
Madrid (either direction)

One more thing, not sure if you've picked this up somewhere else on the forum, but if your goal is to eventually drift online with other people, then you should practice in your Lounge, not in Practice Mode.

The physics online are slightly different than offline. It can set you back if you learn offline, and then try to switch to online. Your Lounge uses the same physics as an online lobby, so that's why it's the best place to practice.

A good section to learn on is the d1 section on high speed ring it's probably the most simple section on gt5 it's just an s bend I found it really help full for learning how to transition
It ain't a D1 section Dean, it's an imaginary track! :sly:

But yeah, that S-Bend is good for learning transitions and keeping a tight line.

There's a whole bunch of different tracks you should try. IMO, Trial Mountain isn't the best learner track, due to the elevation changes and banking. Some suggestions:

Tsukuba
Autumn Ring Mini Reverse
Suzuka East (both directions)
Indy Road Course
Madrid (either direction)

One more thing, not sure if you've picked this up somewhere else on the forum, but if your goal is to eventually drift online with other people, then you should practice in your Lounge, not in Practice Mode.

The physics online are slightly different than offline. It can set you back if you learn offline, and then try to switch to online. Your Lounge uses the same physics as an online lobby, so that's why it's the best place to practice.

I didnt know about the difference in physics. I usually drift in practice mode. Ill have to try the lounge. I dont think Ive ever tried to do that. Thanks for that bit of info.

I know this may not seem like new to a lot of you guys but I was about to get over 12K points drifting on trial mountain. This feel like a huge milestone for me. I also must add that the LFA is a dream to drift. A little too much power at times but it stays composed pretty easily.

Back