Hennessey Venom F5 2015

United States
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here it is, a world-first look at Hennessey's Venom F5, Texas's V8 twin-turbo hyper-thing aiming not just to go quicker than the 268mph Veyron Super Sport, but blow the pesky Bugatti into the weeds, targeting a top speed of 290mph. Perhaps even more.

"I think something in the 290mph range will be possible," boss John Hennessey tells TG in an exclusive interview. Normally a claim so big from a manufacturer so small should be taken with a pretty hefty helping of scepticism. But don't forget Hennessey has form.

As you'll likely be aware, earlier this year Hennessey's first hypercar, the 1,244bhp Venom, hit 270.49mph on Nasa's Kennedy Space Center runway: faster than the Veyron Super Sport's 269.86mph recorded vmax (the Bugatti's official 267.86mph figure, if you're wondering, was the average of its upwind and downwind runs at Ehra-Lessien).

That run wasn't enough to pinch the official Guinness top speed crown from Bugatti - the Venom's run was only made in one direction, not both ways as required - but still emphatically proved the point. The Venom ain't slow.

And the F5 - named after a particularly destructive breed of tornado, not the refresh button on your keyboard - is Venom upgraded: more aero, more tech and, of course, more power.

How much more power? Hennessey isn't revealing precise figures yet - partly because he's still figuring out exactly how much extra juice there is to be squeezed from the 7.0 twin-turbo V8 - but tells TG "it could possibly exceed 1,400bhp".

Kerbweight will remain under 1,300kg - the standard Venom weighs 1,244kg, and there's no reason to suspect the F5, with its all-carbon bodywork, should be significantly heavier - meaning this car will exceed 1,000bhp per tonne in the power-to-weight department. The Veyron SS makes around 630bhp per tonne.

That smart new bodywork, wrapped around a developed version of the mutated Lotus Exige frame that underpins the Venom GT, is far more than just show. The standard Venom GT has a drag coefficient of 0.44, while the F5's figure will dip below 0.40. Hennessey says this added slipperiness won't significantly affect stability at speed. "It'll have more than enough downforce," he says.

In addition to the six-speed manual offered in the current Venom, the F5 will be offered with a single-clutch paddle-shift transmission: a dual-clutch 'box was rejected on grounds of weight and durability.

There's trick new GPS-based traction control, which can, we're told, be calibrated to specific racetracks. Hennessey namedrops the Nürburgring Nordschliefe. Jeez.

The Venom F5 will land next year, with first deliveries reaching customers in 2016. A production run of over 30 cars is planned. Prices are to be confirmed, but we're told F5 will cost more than the $1,200,000 (plus taxes) Venom GT.

A lot of cash, but potentially a lot of speed. Hennessey is adamant his 290mph-plus claim won't remain merely theoretical, and wants the F5 to secure the production car speed title outright.

"With the F5, we definitely want to validate its top speed potential," says Hennessey. "We'll probably go to Bonneville. But running on the salt flats is a challenge, for sure." Fourteen hundred horses, rear-drive, and a slippery salt surface? Sounds like a challenge to us.

Ah you beat me to it by half a day. I really can´t wait for this Henessey. If the first Venom was what it was just imagine this bad boy.

so I guess Hennessey likes lotus...? well then... I like Hennessey!!!!!!! hell this thing is awesome!!!

This time the car has an original design. Looks like a P1 at the back and a LaFerrari at the front. The perfect rival to the Koenigsegg One:1, I'm pretty sure this car will have a PP of 750-780.

This time the car has an original design. Looks like a P1 at the back and a LaFerrari at the front. The perfect rival to the Koenigsegg One:1, I'm pretty sure this car will have a PP of 750-780.
True. But for me, the front end looks from like from the Lotus Elite concept, especially the headlamp design, with a three-pipe placement from the LFA.

actually its supposed to be based off the new exige... but its more original than the last one!

Forget the X2011, this car will just beat it so many times! PD should only allow for an oil change, transmission adjustments and weight reduction kits as upgrades for this car as it's too powerful...

F5? Thought of Brock Lesner for some reason. Doubt he would fit in this car however. :)
John Hennessey sure loves horsepower. He takes Colin Chapman's mantra of "add lightness" and decides "hell, more POWER too!!"

The performance claims are incredible although they announced the car without building one - Look at the crap and inconsistent renders with giant carbon fibre weave texture and filler cap only in certain pictures.

It will be an astonishing performer but it will never have that class and thoroughness of engineering which sets the Veyron, and it's 1500bhp hybrid W16 successor rumored to be called Chiron, apart from this.

Also, it's so much better looking than the steroid-fuelled-Exige Venom is.

Back