Here's Your First Look at the Mad Box Controller Concept

If I'm racing, my eyes are concentrated on the screen, not the controller. I'm never gonna see that notification. Same goes for the RPM display.

I don't see how it is all the different from a gear indicator on your wheel (like I have on my Fanatec). It's obviously easier to look down to the wheel than all the way down to your pad in your hands, but either way you have to take your eyes off the screen. It's a nifty little feature in and of itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the overall project. I am very skeptical this thing will work as well as they think, but I can at least understand why they'd add a gear indicator and other info on the pad. As others have said; cost and battery life are going to be huge hurdles to overcome. I personally have zero interest in this console, but I do think using the screen the way they have is an interesting idea.

I wonder how many people actually understand what a concept is?

Does that mean we shouldn't discuss what we like and don't like about it? I get that it's a concept and all, but it's the closest thing we have seen to a final product so it's really all we have to go off of until we see either the next concept or final design.

Seems like people are very cynical on a forum that's frequented by the creator of the console in question. Would y'all rather he just scrapped the whole idea?

I would like to see him stick around and actually answer some questions (and I mean actual answers, not just general statements) instead of feuding with rappers and offering money to whoever comes up with a catchy slogan.

Heads up guys ... they're just making a fancy computer with lights and a uncomfortable controller (look at it and imagine using it). I can get that at Walmart or Best Buy or Dell or...
Whatever it costs for this STUPID IDEA should go to any of the following instead...
  • continued support of Project CARS 2
  • continued investment towards Project SHIFT 3
  • possible investment towards another game on ANY other console
  • $$/food for gov't workers w/o pay
The only reason XBOX is still here is they have Microsoft $$ behind it.
The only place XBOX is considered a PS equivalent is the media who need a story - and the gamers who bought one.
In every metric PS kills it, has killed it and will continue unabated against two competitors or multiple ones.
SMS may have ambition but they don't have the money. Next, you'll hear about their Kickstarter, so you'll pay them upfront to develop it for a t-shirt and a couple of in-game credits.
Which will help you when no other devs want to design games for it!
SMS may mean Slightly Mad, but those who support this are completely bonkers.

Your money. Mine's sticking with PS.

While I may not (or may I?) personally buy this console because of the equipment I've already invested in, I applaud this ambition to try to do new things. Yeah this first concept may not look comfortable or battery friendly, but as @PzR Slim commented, that's what a concept starts like.

Please, more news and concepts like this!!

By the way, @IanBell , I'm still waiting for confirmation that my April 2017 hunch was correct... :)

While the first impression about the controller might be "uncomfortable", I don't think it would be. Just think about it for a second, or better hold a Xbox controller. Your hands are touching the outside of the grips on both sides, while the hole on this one is on the inside and as far as I can see, the high edges are pulled back way more then the Xbox controller and would fit a hand without reaching over the edge. Maybe the lower edge would need to raise and round off a bit more for the fingers to grip, but based on the scale the fingers might not even reach around the lower ledge, so the design is very much plausible.

This is definitely my favourite piece of vapourware for many a year.

Only kidding....good luck with the project.

Last edited:
As far as getting devs to make games for the system; just make it compatible with steam and it suddenly has an advantage. Steam has it all

They were working in this big Hollywood title that was going to destroy Need for Speed but no one ear about that anymore.
Probably was another delusion.

Then it was Project Cars 3 that was going to destroy all other sims.

Now it's a Tron console that's going to destroy all other consoles.

This is too funny. Lol

As someone who spent a solid decade predominantly playing with three generations of DualShock before ever putting any serious time in with the Xbox controllers, I have a hunch: it's far easier to tap the d-pad with your right hand if needed during play.

I'll admit that sounds like a strange requirement. But when playing Star Wars Battlefront 2, I've occasionally needed to hit the d-pad while walking around (which uses the left analog). On the PS4, that means awkwardly arching my left hand. On the XB1, it's an easier stretch for my right hand over to the d-pad. The left hand tends to be occupied with more constant use, so the right can afford to be more mobile, at least IMO.

I thought the asymmetric layout would be a huge hurdle for me, but it gets comfy pretty quickly. The front face layout aside, the XB1 controller is also so much better than the DS4 for racing games thanks to its better triggers. They both even have unique rumble features, which makes threshold braking much easier.

That said, the biggest hurdle here is the same one that bothers me on the DS4: the battery-suck that is the light bar and touch pad. I can't imagine this Mad Box controller concept wouldn't require even more juice than the existing controllers, and I can drain a DS4 in about six hours.

The vast majority of console players do use a controller, and good luck to any company that'd want to sell a console without one.

switch off the light and speaker ha ha it may last longer on the ds4

Ian Bell perhaps next time he makes another audacious superlative game changing announcement we should just remember "Oh that guy! Isn't he just a massive bs merchant. Who talks a lot but never delivers?" I'm never going to be convinced by this piece of cack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next will be the mad wheel.
He promised already.

It will destroy all the other wheels for sure. Even direct drive wheels. And for the price of a T300.

For sure with super ultra secret technology that will be invented just for SMS. With the best brake pedal ever, more real than a real brake pedal in a real car.

The clutch won't work and will never work, but it's SMS, so it's normal stuff won't work.

And I'm seeing the design already.
Imagine T300 with neon. There you have it. The Mad wheel. In fantasy land May 2020.

What's next?
The Mad Monitor / TV 16k Super Mega wide screen with 360 ° view angle, with colors that don't even exist. Monitor and Tv manufacturers will tremble with fear.

Edit: also with neon around the screen.

Edit 2: Ian Twitter is the best account to follow. Are we going to have a bit coin from SMS? Oh boy!

Last edited:
I thought this console was going to be specialized on VR. What is the use of a screen on the controller then?

The original announcement was "You want 4k, you want VR ...". With far more 4k displays out there than VR sets, I would think 4k is really their primary audience. But if you can run 4k then presumably you can run VR so why not include it?

The original announcement was "You want 4k, you want VR ...". With far more 4k displays out there than VR sets, I would think 4k is really their primary audience. But if you can run 4k then presumably you can run VR so why not include it?

Overlooked that. But who looks down on his/her controller while gaming? And not forgetting the reduced batterylife, at least the LED light had a function for the DS4.

Latest Posts

Back