Here's Your First Look at the Mad Box Controller Concept

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by GTPNewsWire, Jan 22, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

I'd call it the Tron Box.

3. TheGeologist

TheGeologist

Oof.

Man, I feel like they're trying to incorporate too much tech into their stuff. I don't like the design at all.

And why does every controller have to be xbox style? :(

Pigems, Bohemis09, girabyt3 and 4 others like this.
  4. sparkytooth

sparkytooth Premium

This really is an extension of their misunderstanding of controller setups for their games, seriously what is that controller and how do I hold it in any semblance of comfort?

Pigems, NanoSaibou, Vigne and 3 others like this.
  5. flamingchariot

flamingchariot

Looks more like a tray you might eat food /serve drinks from than a controller, never mind how uncomfortable it will be talk about missing the point...so what if it looks great :banghead:

Vigne, Victoria H and IngRobNy like this.
  6. Oyashiro-sama

Oyashiro-sama

My thoughts exactly, it doesn't look ergonomic at all. But pictures can be very deceiving and I'm failing to get a proper scale of the hardware.

NanoSaibou likes this.
  7. MikeV27

MikeV27

Doesn't look very comfortable lol.

Imari and IngRobNy like this.
  8. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

I wonder how many people actually understand what a concept is?

9. 2clicks

2clicks

That console reminds me of the Mazda Furai for some weird reason.

LOonIE, Dresden and Nerdbird like this.
  10. IngRobNy

IngRobNy

A futuristic looking PS4 with a futuristic looking Xbox One controller and still @IanBell made fun of Soulja Boy for his attempt :confused:.

foxymop likes this.
  11. Crazy Taylor

Crazy Taylor Premium

Reminds me of Batman.

12. TheGeologist

TheGeologist

One of the controller screen pictures shows "boost available". Do people look at their controller while playing?

If I'm racing, my eyes are concentrated on the screen, not the controller. I'm never gonna see that notification. Same goes for the RPM display.

Brzlav, 2clicks, Vigne and 3 others like this.
  13. IngRobNy

IngRobNy

And that controller will use a lot of power, so I would believe this controller would always be connected, or it will come with a huge external battery :lol:, but the controller looks very uncomfortable to hold and play with, so maybe you have to rest your hands every 5 min and charge the controller in the between.

I don't even like the light bar or the speaker on the PS4 controller, it's just draining the battery faster, so this controller is not for me, not this Mad Box console either for that matter.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    JockeP22 likes this.
  14. GT_Alex74

GT_Alex74

Anyway the only they have on these concepts is a graphic render. Once they'll figure out costs, nobody will hear about this anymore.

15. IngRobNy

IngRobNy

And if they make this and if they don't have a solid lineup of games for this when released, this will just be a flashy looking brick with a pricetag like Xbox One or PS4 which have a solid lineup of games.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  16. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder

How important is a fancy controller for the buyers of a Mad Box console? I would expect most potential customers to already have a wheel if they are into racing games and if they are into other genres, they would already have favourite controllers. Isn't the important thing for the console to be compatible with existing wheels and controllers. Surely any controller supplied free with the console needs to be cheap so that maximum value can go into the console itself. This controller looks very expensive and if I bought a Mad Box that expensive controller would sit unused on the shelf.

IngRobNy likes this.
  17. Elitekilla29

Elitekilla29

That looks super uncomfortable. Why go with the Xbox style when it comes to how the analogs are placed?

IngRobNy, WJHMH and TheGeologist like this.
  18. Auditore

Auditore

Looks uncomfortable,too flat it looks like a NES controller

IngRobNy and WJHMH like this.
  19. TurismoBad

TurismoBad

I got RSI just looking at it :lol:

2clicks likes this.
  20. HarlemG27

HarlemG27

Seems like people are very cynical on a forum that's frequented by the creator of the console in question. Would y'all rather he just scrapped the whole idea?

I think the design is modern and doable, especially with lithium batteries. If it can run all steam games for under 600; I'm in.

Nothing wrong with critiquing the controller design. But let's keep in mind they might be using us during research and development.

palqo, PzR Slim and potvinsuks like this.
  21. Reameb

Reameb

The console looks amazing but the controller shape could be better, That's a little bit too big and boxy.

22. Tornado

Tornado

That'd be fine with me, honestly. Still haven't seen the benefit, speaking as someone with no frame of reference to who Ian Bell is or why he pisses everyone off so much beyond all the fights that break out every time GTP posts something about him.

Imari likes this.
  23. WJHMH

WJHMH Premium

Doesn't look very comfortable, I know they are trying to be unique but come on, function over form.

Imari and IngRobNy like this.
  24. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Yes :)

Imari, Mike_grpA, Vigne and 1 other person like this.
  25. Moby45

Moby45

Looks like a glorified xbox controller. Hard Pass.

The PS controllers are the only ones I have ever really liked aside from the SNES and Sega Genesis. My hands just don't work too well when the joysticks are set up like they are on this controller.

IngRobNy likes this.
  26. Russ Petersen

Russ Petersen

I've come to believe this is not real. It's too crazy so the more sane answer is SMS is just playing with us all. If real then they truly have lost it.

IngRobNy likes this.
  27. Corsa

Corsa Premium

You know who Ian Bell is, and to the rest, you guys still use controllers to race?
    Let's see the mad wheel prototype.

28. Tornado

Tornado

I do? The "beyond all the fights that break out every time GTP posts something about him" part was pretty important for that sentence. It provides context for how indifferent I am to another game console on the market without the bias that comes against him for reasons I have no idea the origins of.

He runs a company that makes a bunch of games I've never played, and half the people on GTP seem to hate his guts. Before he started getting free ad space from the GTP staff over the past month, I had never heard his name.

29. IngRobNy

IngRobNy

What kind of question is this :rolleyes: ? Of course some of us is using a controller, I say some instead of many so I'm not accidentally starts a controller vs wheel war.

JockeP22 likes this.
  30. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

As someone who spent a solid decade predominantly playing with three generations of DualShock before ever putting any serious time in with the Xbox controllers, I have a hunch: it's far easier to tap the d-pad with your right hand if needed during play.

I'll admit that sounds like a strange requirement. But when playing Star Wars Battlefront 2, I've occasionally needed to hit the d-pad while walking around (which uses the left analog). On the PS4, that means awkwardly arching my left hand. On the XB1, it's an easier stretch for my right hand over to the d-pad. The left hand tends to be occupied with more constant use, so the right can afford to be more mobile, at least IMO.

I thought the asymmetric layout would be a huge hurdle for me, but it gets comfy pretty quickly. The front face layout aside, the XB1 controller is also so much better than the DS4 for racing games thanks to its better triggers. They both even have unique rumble features, which makes threshold braking much easier.

That said, the biggest hurdle here is the same one that bothers me on the DS4: the battery-suck that is the light bar and touch pad. I can't imagine this Mad Box controller concept wouldn't require even more juice than the existing controllers, and I can drain a DS4 in about six hours.

The vast majority of console players do use a controller, and good luck to any company that'd want to sell a console without one.