Hey PD... Turn the smoke density back down!

Does the smoke density bother you while drifting?

• Total voters
xdemoncamberx
porschedrifter
First of all, what is the best way of getting PD's attention about bug reports and suggestions?

One of the few patches ago, someone thought it was a good idea to turn the smoke density up....

It now has made it near impossible to do a decent line while doing a line drift with more than 1 car in front of you.

You can't see the course, you cant see the cars, it's very unrealistic and it brings frame rates DOWN!

PD, if anything, turn the smoke DOWN more, not up.

Density needs to go down.

It would even be more ideal if PD gave us the option to controlling the smoke density levels ourselves... Quite an overlooked and needed option, IMO.

Look at these videos:

10 car drift train:

13 car drift train:

Last edited:
sounds like someone should quit complaining and learn that this is a driving SIMULATOR and is based on some what REAL life and if youve never drifted nor seen a real drift event you would probably know that there is ALOT of smoke sooooooooo.....get over it. that'll be all

Cool story bro...

Actually, I've been to numerous Formula Drift events as well as countless local drift events, how many have you been to?

It's not nearly as dense as GT5 now depicts every single track. It's quite annoying actually. It was fine the way it was before they turned it up.

Plus I'd rather have smoother frame rates and less smoke than the other way around....

sounds like someone should quit complaining and learn that this is a driving SIMULATOR and is based on some what REAL life and if youve never drifted nor seen a real drift event you would probably know that there is ALOT of smoke sooooooooo.....get over it. that'll be all

There's not really that much smoke.... Only at long corners do I see alot of smoke because the cars are using alot of horsepower (Formula D)

Yea they need to turn it down a little. Once cars are over 500HP and your chasing them the smoke gets annoying cause it kinda messes up frame rate or whatever its called that makes the game unsmooth

Not only that, but it slows everyone down because no one can see the proper line of the track to hit clipping points as tight as possible, you are basically just guessing, causing people to spin out or cause collisions.

Frame rates/screen tearing was bad enough before, now it's worse.

Should know your tracks if smoke is a problem. I've never had a problem drifting through it. I also must note that the second option is quite... arrogant? Really seems you're calling anyone who doesn't want the density decreased is in a way, stupid. If I may say so.

Yes, because I know I'm right.

It shouldn't be that dense, we should at least be able to control the density ourselves with a slider.

Cool story bro...

Actually, I've been to numerous Formula Drift events as well as countless local drift events, how many have you been to?

It's not nearly as dense as GT5 now depicts every single track. It's quite annoying actually. It was fine the way it was before they turned it up.

Plus I'd rather have smoother frame rates and less smoke than the other way around....

Cool story bruh...

I was just at Formula Drift Long Beach and took some pictures....dat smoke!
7052818695_2a11bb7170_b.jpg

I do agree with you to some extent though. I love the smoke but the anti-aliasing is just terrible in the game.

It shouldn't be that dense, we should at least be able to control the density ourselves with a slider.

Not quite. Also if you're asking for a realistic smoke model, then why ask for a slider? Isn't that defeating the purpose?

Because, I realize that some people might like the smoke as dense as it is, and some don't. Best resolution to this issue, is to have the user set what level they prefer in the options. That way, everyone is happy.

Honestly, it seriously annoys me.

ShortAznGuy, do you have more pics?

If you happen to be mid to tail end, on a 16 car line drift, it's virtually impossible man. You are basically guessing, or following the persons line in front of you. Frame rates go down, it's annoying.

Learn the track then. If you know the track well enough, you would know where you're going. As I've said before, I've never had a problem with it. Even if I can't see a single thing in front of me.

I do know the tracks fairly well, it's still an issue. And now it's been brought into the unrealistic realm.

PD decided to raise the density to hide the ugly AA issues that so many people were complaining about. It's not the solution, period.

I resent you for calling me ignorant! Know you track bro and don't do 16 car tandems with noobs. I keep my rooms small, 5 maybe 6 people, and it runs good. I just did a couple runs and no one spun out or even bumped (Tsukuba and Trail Mountain reversed).

If anything they should turn the smoke up, it's like a grey mist all the time, which does occur sometimes but I'd love it if it were like clouds coming out when I use a more powerful car. Your argument is confusing because you ask for realism yet you want see thru smoke and a slider? And yes I have witnessed many cars drift in real life seeing as that is what my step-brother does. Learn your tracks, avoid noob lobbies with super trains and you should be alright.

Grow up. Arrogant 🤬. Just because you have an opinion about something, doesnt make you right. My opinion is your an ass... Are you?

Just because You want smoke density to be decreased for no other reason than you cant see through when drifting doesnt mean the rest of the playing community want it the same way.

Sorry porsche but you won't win this battle :/. A lot of smoke is no excuse, learn the track and the smoke won't affect you.

The smoke is alright the way it is. I've been the last car in 10+ car trains & I've had no problems because I know the tracks & I know where I need to go.

By the way, what's up with your poll? So if anyone decides to vote no, their ignorant in your opinion... Grow up...

The 2nd option is a bit stupid :dunce:

"No, I'm ignorant and don't care."

No , I'm not a ingnorant and I care ;)

Why are you guys asking to turn it up or down?
Why not ask for them to remodel the smoke so it goes around the tires, and the more your wheels spin, the more smoke appears? Wouldn't that just stop this kind of argument?
Everybody would be happy, besides if you follow me, 699HP. :)

Why are you guys asking to turn it up or down?
Why not ask for them to remodel the smoke so it goes around the tires, and the more your wheels spin, the more smoke appears? Wouldn't that just stop this kind of argument?
Everybody would be happy, besides if you follow me, 699HP. :)

That's the first thing they need to fix. Then pixelation, than wrapping around the tires.
Turning it down or adding a function to do it would be senseless. People will switch it off completely so that they can see everything when they're following.

If you happen to be mid to tail end, on a 16 car line drift, it's virtually impossible man. You are basically guessing, or following the persons line in front of you. Frame rates go down, it's annoying.

most pro formula drift events do not have 16 cars within 10 feet of each other, and on top of that i do agree with the other guy. learn the track.

Plus, smoke looks thicker when you're looking through 50 feet of it, as opposed to the 5-10 feet of smoke you look down through as you spectate trackside.

I like the increased amount of smoke actually. I was drifting my Lexus IS300 Gita the other day from and even in chase cam the smoke from my own car was blocking some of my screen!

I do agree that it should be toned down on some cars though. A 160bhp Levin shouldn't create a similar amount of smoke as a 1000bhp Viper.

Last edited:
It's a simulator, which means they're trying to get as close as possible to real life and in real life the smoke is a lot most of the time. You don't see the professional drifters complaining about the smoke, they follow the lead car through it. If anyone saw Formula Drift today, Daigo Saito's smoke trail is a great example & Conrad Grunewald's trail too.

Back