HFS's car thread | Fleet update

Automotive electrician types, halp.

Not driven the Mazda in a few days, and in the intervening time it's developed a problem with the turn signals.

Namely, when indicating right it's clicking/flashing at a much faster rate. It's doing so intermittently (by which I mean the problem comes and goes, rather than the lights go on and off, which is what indicators are supposed to do), but more often than not.

When it does so, the front indicator and side repeater lights flash at the same pace, but the rear indicator does not flash. When it's fine, all three bulbs work as they're supposed to, so I'd imagine the problem is with a relay or iffy connection rather than the rear bulb, which is clearly fine. Indicating left works as it should.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with the inductors going at faster rate a few times with the E30 but never got to the bottom as it always cleared itself up. From what I gathered when I looked online though was that one of the bulbs was fried, but you've said you haven't got that problem :S

Are any of those bulbs ones you have replaced with LEDs? My explanation isn't going to sound too scientific, but I'm sure that bulbs flash quickly when the current in the circuit isn't within a certain range. This would normally be because of a blown bulb, but the lower power usage of LEDs might have a similar effect.

Possibly relay, possibly lack of resistance, with the rear bulb have more resistance due to the length of the wire run?

A friend had a similar intermittent problem in a Fiesta and it was traced to the indicator switch.

Are any of those bulbs ones you have replaced with LEDs? My explanation isn't going to sound too scientific, but I'm sure that bulbs flash quickly when the current in the circuit isn't within a certain range. This would normally be because of a blown bulb, but the lower power usage of LEDs might have a similar effect.
Nope, those ones aren't LED yet. It could be related to the wiring itself though somehow, as the wiring at the rear light units is a complete mess visually. I can't recall whether my old MX-5 had covers inside the boot over the light units, but the current one just has a load of wires and connectors hanging out on each side. I assume it's something to do with the half-assing whoever imported the car did to make it UK-legal.
Possibly relay, possibly lack of resistance, with the rear bulb have more resistance due to the length of the wire run?
Could also be that, again related to the spaghetti of wiring. What's odd is that it's previously been absolutely fine. The indicator switch may also be a factor though, since I had the steering column cover off a while back to replace the instrument lights. Might have knocked something.

There could be a lot of different things, but in the situation where the turn signal is blinking really fast due to a bulb having gone out, the resistance of the circuit system increases and the corresponding current decreases. It could be something like a bad connection causing an intermittent circuit discontinuity (i.e. increasing circuit resistance), but you'll have to go through the bulbs and sockets to make sure that things are all good.

From what you've said, the first place to check is the socket for the rear bulb. Could be a spot of corrosion, or a bad relay.

A bit of troubleshooting - by which I mean wiggling things around - and I've discovered it's the blue relay on the left that's causing the problems, or at least the wires connecting to it. Basically, wiggling the wires into it, particularly the one to the left, pretty much turns the problem on and off.

11246541_1692557177642700_404263915_n.jpg

In the short term, I think I'll just wrap some electrical tape around it to prevent the wire from moving. Mid-term I think I might just re-wire that entire area. As you can see, it's a mess - there's no boot carpet protecting it, and everything seems to be covered in a nasty tar-like spray, as if someone has tried to badly moistureproof it.

Are those relays or just connectors?

I had a similar problem on the Alfa but with a bulb out warning. Took a sandwich bag, popped a hole in the bottom and used it to waterproof the connector. Probably should have remembered that earlier, but moving on is easier when you try to forget. Thanks for opening the wound.

Could just be connectors. Hope so, as the relays are apparently quite expensive. Either way, it's the cause of the problem.

Back in this for a week while the Mazda is having clutch/brakes fitted and a full service.

11925718_846142912170655_1021980551_n.jpg

Briefly considered pulling it off sale this morning. Open, empty roads made it so easy to just carry momentum in the manner it likes to. The thing just feels at its best when you slow down as little as possible, use the assistance to pull you along quicker than you'd expect on very light throttle openings, and a ride that improves at higher speeds.

It still needs to go, though. And driving back I remembered how frustrating it can be when people mess up your efforts to preserve momentum. When someone pulls into your lane late in a faster car, you just hang back and blast past them later. When someone does it in this, the last five miles of trickling along on barely any fuel are ruined by your need to get back up to speed again afterwards.

Still managed this, though:

12145507_1494373364190922_1457375684_n.jpg

And now for a completely different instrument panel...

12239465_10101329537179243_2532647008618626653_n.jpg

(Is the image working for you guys?)

Spot the deliberate mistake. Deliberate because when I changed all the bulbs to LEDs because one had gone out before, I went on eBay and bought lots of cheap LEDs, rather than merely the correct number of ones that would actually work for any length of time.

Alternative caption: Why no illumination below 3000rpm? Because racecar.

Since my last post I realise I'd not written anything about my service though, so I'll do that now. The car is, naturally, feeling a lot better. And my wallet is feeling a lot lighter. New brakes are a big improvement, as is the new clutch, and everything feels just a little fresher. The garage cleaned the throttle body as well. It must have been pretty manky, as the car feels much better than it did before - combined with the clutch, the drivetrain is just that bit more immediate, and it now idles properly which is a bonus.

On the negative side, the garage said they'd traced my hyperactive turn signals to a dodgy earth. They've been working for a few weeks, but over the last few days they've started spazzing out again, so I'm really pretty sure it's a wonky relay. So basically, the car is a write-off.

No but really, it is pretty frustrating. I've been borrowing press cars for the last few days just so I can drive something with working indicators.

Last edited:
Are the signals wonky both left and right or just one side?

Edit.

Image works now. Crappy dash.

Are the signals wonky both left and right or just one side?
Just one side. As per the post further up this page - occasionally, the right-side indicator will click rapidly, along with the front unit and side repeater, but when it does so, the rear flasher won't illuminate. Other times, it all works fine - and the hazards work fine too.

I'm fairly sure it's the relay into the rear-right light unit, as simply fiddling around with the wire into it can either create or solve the problem.

I suspect you might have some green goo somewhere on a connection, by the sound of it.

Roofless or clothroof Mazda can be a leaky Mazda!
There's every chance some water has leaked into the boot and infiltrated the wiring, but the wiring is pretty shonky there anyway, like it's been messed around with in the past. I think I may just replace that section of wire and the relay and see if it fixes the problem. It's frustrating as mechanically the car now feels great after the service.

There's every chance some water has leaked into the boot and infiltrated the wiring, but the wiring is pretty shonky there anyway, like it's been messed around with in the past. I think I may just replace that section of wire and the relay and see if it fixes the problem. It's frustrating as mechanically the car now feels great after the service.

Why does everyone with electric problems in their cars live so far away. :indiff:

I feel the same way. Though it would be a great drive to make in the pickup. Terrorising all those small country roads in the UK.

Now wondering if the LED issue is just a loose connection. The instruments momentarily lit up properly when I started the car tonight, then the <3k/fuel gauge side went dark again. Could well be a loose connection since - again - the LEDs I bought were cheap, and didn't slot into the receptacles too snugly. I still think I'll shell out for some decent ones.

Here are a few snaps from the car's service, incidentally. Brakes are bedding in nicely. I once again have the ability to lock my wheels, which is something I couldn't manage on the old brakes with the new tyres.

DSC02890.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

Future thoughts

11232029_10101342697081693_4945885619981755781_o.jpg

Been thinking about the Roadster's future recently. Don't worry, I'm not selling it yet, but I have been re-thinking some of the plans I have for it.

It's been prompted by the rather large bill I got for the servicing work above, ongoing general costs, and working out the costs of all the "plans" I have for the car to turn it into the "perfect" MX-5 in my head.

Firstly, the bill was quite big. Three quarters of my monthly after-tax salary. In some respects that doesn't sound a lot, but putting it another way, I already spend probably two-thirds of my after-tax salary on rent, council tax, bills, car insurance (for two cars), car tax (for two cars) food, fuel, and general sundries etc. Major service bills won't come around every day, and I still hope to sell the Honda at some point to stop paying for a couple of vehicles, but that still means I've effectively eaten up maybe three months' worth of "savings" in one service.

Of course, I could have done some of the jobs myself, but essentially that's a non-starter for me - I'm not mechanically inept, but I do have a busy job, one which occasionally leaves me with little free time, and my car is my daily driver, so it can't spend large amounts of time off the road.

Then there's the "plans" aspect. When I had my last MX-5, I had a load of thoughts in mind of how I wanted it to look and drive. Of course, I didn't get to realise any of those ideas, due to it getting stolen, but I saw this car as a way to finish unfinished business.

The trouble, once again, is cost. And possibly a degree of impatience. I've just totted up a very rough list of all the things I'd quite like to do to the car - things like wheels, small body mods, chassis bracing, coilovers, engine tweaks, seats, exhaust etc - and it's come to about £6k - before labour costs. When I pare that list down to absolute essentials, things that will improve the way the car drives without making it any faster or making it look any better, the cost is still about £1300.

Some people will wonder what the big deal is about the first figure, if it's spread across months or years. Others will wonder even more so what the big deal is about the second figure, and some wouldn't even think twice about spending that in one go. The wheels I'm considering (non-essential, contributing to the cost of the first list) are about £1300 on their own.

But again, it actually is kind of a big deal. I get to do some cool stuff in my job but the pay isn't that great, so I have to think very carefully about the worth of things like this. My impatience means I'd want to do lots of things at once, see some progress, and that makes things expensive. If I bought some coilovers now and some wheels in twelve months, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But really, you want to do both of those things at the same time.

12309477_10101342697271313_6193710367656008110_o.jpg

The cars I drive as part of my job play a factor too. I'm fully aware that the value of modifying is intangible. If I add £6k of mods to a £3k car it doesn't make it a £9k car, it makes it a £3k one with £6k of mods. The issue is driving that £9k car and it would undoubtedly be excellent - only to be made to look deficient in one or more areas by some of the stuff I get to drive at work. At the moment, my MX-5 not being as dynamically capable as something new doesn't bother me - it's a cheap car, it's old, it's a bit wobbly, but it's fun.

But £6k+ down the line (and the + is inevitable, as anyone who modifies cars will know), still having a car that isn't as adept as newer cars may start to wear thin. Doubly so when I don't really use the Mazda that often, since I can take those other cars home.

I think it's dependant on what I want from a car. Light weight and garrulous controls are a must - lack of inertia and plenty of feedback still make for a better driving experience, for me, than lots of power and grip. The MX-5 does this well, but I've driven enough cars to know some do it better. An extreme example was the Morgan earlier this year; for a few days afterwards the Mazda felt slow, quiet, and all the controls felt like they were fed through a layer of cotton wool.

I've not driven an Elise yet but... they're on my mind quite a bit at the moment. Power nothing. Lighter weight. Stiffer chassis. It's basically everything that Mazda should be, and a lot of what it could be after spending a fortune upgrading the MX-5... though when it comes to things like steering feel, general consensus seems to be that the Mazda will never quite get to Elise levels. Loti aren't cheap at the mo, but they're still vaguely within reach; certainly more so if both Honda and Mazda, and their compounded costs, go.

Or do I simply forget about modifying, and settle for what I have? I do after all have a fairly original special edition model; it would be cheaper for me to find those last few pieces to make it completely original, add a few more (like decent seats and some chassis bracing) for good measure, and enjoy it as-is? The risk here is, perhaps, getting a bit bored of it eventually, though at least if it's original, it should be easy enough to sell.

TL;DR - I have a short attention span and not much money; should I modify the Mazda at painful expense, keep it standard and maybe get bored of it, or do some man-maths, sell everything and buy a Lotus Elise?

It's the reality of performance car ownership. You could buy something new on finance, and pay the penalty of interest and depreciation. I get the impression you already tried that (as have I to some extent) and found it wasn't for you. Alternatively you buy something second hand and sink money into it!

I think you just have to accept the slow pace of improvements, but appreciate how the car evolves into what you want it to be. Enjoy that change of each modification and hopefully you won't get bored of it quickly!

Alternatively, sell it to me for a song ;)

[EDIT] I'm not always chasing the cars you have I swear!

Back