HFS's photography // Instagram, post #121

The reverse lens trick

Inspired by TB's recent photos and one Moglet did a while back, I've tried the old reverse-prime trick to get some funky macro shots. I would have done this much earlier as I've had a prime for ages, but it completely slipped my mind!

DSC_4578.jpg

DSC_4575.jpg

DSC_4581.jpg

Above: Hotwheels Chevy 1500, MarioKart Daisy miniature (don't ask...), and a UAE one dirham piece.

Comments welcome :)

No comments on the macro stuff? Never mind, perhaps some motorsport will be more to your tastes. For the third year in a row, I went to the BTCC qualifying day at Croft, and walked away with some of my best motorsport shots yet:

Without further ado...

4714791623_c75ed72136.jpg

4714796447_47f2323738.jpg

4715440652_21bff8a668.jpg

4714800183_805f3308bf.jpg

4714804371_5720efbcc5.jpg

4715448312_2ba059e620.jpg

4715449742_5a3a0c48fc.jpg

4714815899_6f5be32a79.jpg

4715459296_07615dc9f6.jpg

4714820903_684216d9be.jpg

4715463802_3e71fb769a.jpg

4715464948_f7a8d306e3.jpg

4715469544_0db5b3028a.jpg

4714837329_5061acb1d6.jpg

4715502092_8390e6e0f1.jpg

4715498382_ecc7f371bb.jpg

Will try and make it to a few more BTCC events later in the year too. I spent a lot more time playing with settings this year than in previous years, utilising various ISOs, white balances and both apertures and shutter speeds. Most of the motion shots were taken at 1/160 despite the poor light on the day (overcast, as is typical in the UK). It's by far the slowest shutter speed I've used at a motorsport event before but thanks to playing with settings it turned out very well.

These all look very very professional. The still life style shots are brilliant, but the sense of action in the movement shots really brings the set to life. Could I possibly show the photo of the AmD Golf to Ben from AmD? He'd love to see such a good photo of it in action. Who knows, he might want to use it or something....

I'd love you to show it to him. If you require any full size shots of the AMD Golf, just shoot me a PM. I probably don't have loads, but I'm sure if they were interested I have some knocking about :)

Thanks for the comment :)

EDIT: Incidentally, my Flickr page is in my sig. If anyone adds me as a contact they'll probably be able to view bigger pics, but as always, a PM is enough to get me to upload you a full-size image 👍

Did you know that their qualification times were void? Their bumper sagged due to damage and it was considered too low for qualification!

They also had to de-gravel it after a spin off, apparently?

imgp2945800x600.jpg

I didn't know that actually, only went along to the qualifying day for a few hours so didn't get much info out of it. Bit of a shame, always nice to see a bit of variety in the series.

These are all great shots. 👍 I dig the shot of the backend of the Civic through the pits in particular for some reason.

I'm really intrigued to hear why everyone likes the Civic shot - I've posted the image in several places and every single time it's the one everyone comments on!

I know that a photographer is their own harshest critic but I don't see the fuss over the shot! :P I'd love a proper critique on it.

Not sure the Civic shot was my favourite of the series but it is a pretty good one.

My opinion as to why people might like it so much would be because it's framed well and the dark surroundings in the fore act a focal frame naturally drawing in the viewers eye on the car. The car itself is on a interesting angle and the elements on either side of the frame like the two guys give it an almost natural occurring symetry. And poeple often like symetry in what they see on a subconcious level.

Then again I could be wrong but thats what I see in it.

Nice set btw.

I feel a few factors come into play with this shot. For starters, it’s framed well by the pit. The light on the car is a little dark and moody and you managed to retain some detail in the sky as well as detail in the garage which can be extremely hard without any additional lighting. This is something I can really appreciate as you know, I shoot a fair bit of motorsport which includes obligatory pit photos, and it’s a difficult location to shoot in due to the vastly varying light and limited maneuverability. Last but not least, it tells a story. Certainly not a literary masterpiece type story, but due to the angle of the vehicle and the amount of detail captured both in pit and out, it tells a simple story of a car pulling out of the pits, which is all it needs to say really. 👍

the Civic shot is raved about because it succeeds in telling you something. It tells you the car is being readied for action as you can see the crew doing stuff. what? doesn't matter, they are there.

It may not be the situation even, but that is what it tells me and I can tell you you really captured that feel. That is why it is so effective, it tells you something.

the others are well made tehcnically and all that, but really, you can never beat human presence for telling stuff. Nice set.

Forgot I had a thread for my photography. No major update for now, in fact just the one shot, because it was something I uploaded out of necessity rather than for fun:

thorium-could-be-used-as-car-fuel_100359431_l.jpg

It's another "reverse lens trick" shot. Needed a photo of the element thorium on the periodic table for this article. Searched all around the damn house for a book with the table in...

More shots of cars and stuff to follow!

So I was at Goodwood this weekend, working with a Dutch gaming company on behalf of Red Bull, for the Gridsters competition. Decided against lugging my D3100 with me everywhere, so on the few moments I managed to get away from the competition, I took photos. Click on the thumbnails for full-size :)

IMG_2270 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Sebastien Vettel by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2284 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2309 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2321 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2328 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2335 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Ferrari F40 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2349 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2353 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2362 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2373 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Nissan Leaf Nismo RC by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Morgan 3-Wheeler Superdry by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Renault Alpine A110 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Jaguar C-X75 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Toyota Corolla BTCC by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2397 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2403 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Ferrari 288 GTO by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2420 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Mark Webber by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Sebastien Vettel by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr​

Like the Alain Prost one quite a lot, and the black and white one is great to. But all of them are great.

Nice shots. Really liking the Jaguar C-X75 shot, although I think if you Photoshop the barrier thing out of the image it'd be far more impressive. The tones on the shot itself are fantastic though.

Nice shots. Really liking the Jaguar C-X75 shot, although I think if you Photoshop the barrier thing out of the image it'd be far more impressive. The tones on the shot itself are fantastic though.

Thanks 👍 Considered removing the barrier actually, but the "Jaguar" script on it caught my eye so thought I'd go with it as-is.

A few weeks back I attended the world's largest Citroën gathering, held in different locations every year. Over 1,800 Citroëns were present at its peak, and with that many in one place you happen across some fairly excellent - and rare - examples. Here's a small selection of the photos I took. Click through any of them to go to the full flickr gallery.

IMG_3035 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_3082 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën Light 15 & Routemaster by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

IMG_3047 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën DS5 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën C6 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën 2CV by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën CX GTi by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën Light 15 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën Light 15 Familiale by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën BX by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën H Van by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën 2CV stickers by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën C6 by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën DS rally by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën SM by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr

Citroën DS by Vitesse Photography, on Flickr​

Thanks 👍

A few more cars, taken over the last few months. Critiquing and inspiration welcome! Main idea of the shots is to have something to go with the review (I do words better than I do photos) but of course I'm always looking to improve.

And a non-car shot, one I quite liked from Le Mans. I rarely photograph people, but the Dutch fans were loving all the attention!

Last edited:
Liking some of the detail shots in this 👍.

Gathering from all the different cars here that the journalism has really taken off. Jelly. Good work on that :).

Liking some of the detail shots in this 👍.

Thanks, I'm trying to work on the creative side a bit to brighten up the reviews.

Gathering from all the different cars here that the journalism has really taken off. Jelly. Good work on that :).

Cheers :) It has to some extent, though I'm still not making enough money from it to live off. Getting to drive the occasional car or two is something of a compensation but I'll be happier when I'm working on a mag!

Back