Hidden Tire Information and Findings (READ OP BEFORE YOU POST)

• Thread starter Lock2Lock
  • 62 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lock2Lock

EVERYBODY DO THE FLOP
Premium
United States
United States
Hi Guys

I would like to talk to the drift community about some of the tires.

Before we go on, I would like to add that I am only talking about the Comfort Hard grade tires. I am not talking about any other tire. So if you want to discuss any other tires besides comfort hard then please do not bother posting in this thread. Also if you want to get into an argument about the process of acquiring these tires, this is not the place for that. So please reframe from going on the path of "it's against the ToS for PD/Sony to use these tires". Once again this is not the thread for that. Thanks

Ok, for the past couple weeks I have been testing out the hidden comfort hard tires. If you are not familiar with them or have never used them I will have no problem giving some away to you to try for yourself.

Here is the description of both tires:

Comfort Hard (V)
Hard tires designed for comfort. Equipped as standard on most road cars. They Lack the grip for circuit driving, but are recommended for those looking to perfect their driving technique. Type V tires are designed with an emphasis on grip in the inline direction.

Comfort Hard (C)
Hard tires designed for comfort. Equipped as standard on most road cars. They Lack the grip for circuit driving, but are recommended for those looking to perfect their driving technique. Type C tires are designed with an emphasis on horizontal grip.

I think I have figured out why some cars are so much faster than others. Not all cars are like that though. I am still trying to figure out the difference between these tires from the normal Comfort hard.

For example, the Mazda RX7 Spirit R vs. the Mazda RX7 Enfini (premium versions). The Spirit R always seems to be a much faster car around the corners, transitions, and on extensions. Why is that? Well what I have found is that these hidden tires are given to these cars in default. Basically what I am getting at is. PD made these tires hidden, because when you get into a car and install comfort hard tires. What you are actually getting is either Type (C) or Type (V). The game doesn't tell you which one you are getting, but one of these is applied by default.

When I installed Comfort Hard Type (V) tires on my RX7 Enfini, it gave it the speed that the Spirit R has. Also gave it some of the handling characteristics the Spirit R has when you really push the angle.
When installed Comfort Hard Type (C) tires on my RX7 Enfini, the overall feel has improved, but it is a leveled out speed and handling combination. Not nearly faster, but you do get a more lively feeling/feedback of what the car is doing.

(I have tested this on a few other cars, and the same scenario repeats in different variations.)

Basically what I am trying to get at here is we might be able to have people running cars like the C6 Corvette and 2010 Camaros (and others) in drift comps/just overall tandems without them dominating in overall speed. While using these tires improving the feeling/control of their cars in the process (in my experience on the G27, this has happened).

Still have a lot of testing to do. In the end I hope to see S-Chassis right with Camaros and Corvettes all of the time. Creating a level playing field is what I am after.

I will also be testing out different combinations of these tires. Example, front tires Comfort Hard Type (C) and rear tires Comfort Hard (V). That will take more time though.

I would like to have a few people to help me with this. If anyone would like to help me but doesn't want to use the editor to add these tires to their items list, I would be happy to send these tires to the person.

NOTE: If the room is restricted to Comfort Hard only, you will still be able to use them. They are a comfort hard class tire. But because of the GT5 V2.12 update on other people’s screens it will show you are driving on the car’s default tires (tires that come on the car when you buy it).

Last edited:
This is very interesting to find out. I'd like to try these tyres out and get to know the differences

moolett
Whats your PSN? I'm interested in a couple :)

jrkiwiboy
This is very interesting to find out. I'd like to try these tyres out and get to know the differences

No problem. Add my old PSN profile KYOKI-Zach. My current PSN profile friend list is full. I will add the tires to that profile when i wake up.

I got one person ahead of you two. Because of the trade limit is can only send 5 tires a day. PM me if you want to add the tires to your items list yourself if you don't want to wait. I will fill you in there because I cannot post and how-to on the threads.

What I thought of doing is buying a lot of the 'less grippy' tires in my S14, and installing them on Camaro's to see if it helps... Thats the way to get the tires right? Just buy them with a standard and not grippy car?

Edit: Nvm, it's not that easy. I will just be patient, sit here and be beautiful, and let other people do the thinking!

(Kidding)

Last edited:
Lock2Lock
Hi Guys

I would like to talk to the drift community about some of the tires.

Before we go on, I would like to add that I am only talking about the Comfort Hard grade tires. I am not talking about any other tire. So if you want to discuss any other tires besides comfort hard then please do not bother posting in this thread. Also if you want to get into an argument about the process of acquiring these tires, this is not the place for that. So please reframe from going on the path of "it's against the ToS for PD/Sony to use these tires". Once again this is not the thread for that. Thanks

Ok, for the past couple weeks I have been testing out the hidden comfort hard tires. If you are not familiar with them or have never used them I will have no problem giving some away to you to try for yourself.

Here is the description of both tires:

Comfort Hard (V)
Hard tires designed for comfort. Equipped as standard on most road cars. They Lack the grip for circuit driving, but are recommended for those looking to perfect their driving technique. Type V tires are designed with an emphasis on grip in the inline direction.
http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/FULL-THROTTLE313/media/2013-04-28012835_zps3465b562.jpg.html

Comfort Hard (C)
Hard tires designed for comfort. Equipped as standard on most road cars. They Lack the grip for circuit driving, but are recommended for those looking to perfect their driving technique. Type C tires are designed with an emphasis on horizontal grip.
http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/FULL-THROTTLE313/media/2013-04-28012859_zpse38bba74.jpg.html

I think I have figured out why some cars are so much faster than others. Not all cars are like that though. I am still trying to figure out the difference between these tires from the normal Comfort hard.

For example, the Mazda RX7 Spirit R vs. the Mazda RX7 Enfini (premium versions). The Spirit R always seems to be a much faster car around the corners, transitions, and on extensions. Why is that? Well what I have found is that these hidden tires are given to these cars in default. Basically what I am getting at is. PD made these tires hidden, because when you get into a car and install comfort hard tires. What you are actually getting is either Type (C) or Type (V). The game doesn't tell you which one you are getting, but one of these is applied by default.

When I installed Comfort Hard Type (V) tires on my RX7 Enfini, it gave it the speed that the Spirit R has. Also gave it some of the handling characteristics the Spirit R has when you really push the angle.
When installed Comfort Hard Type (C) tires on my RX7 Enfini, the overall feel has improved, but it is a leveled out speed and handling combination. Not nearly faster, but you do get a more lively feeling/feedback of what the car is doing.

(I have tested this on a few other cars, and the same scenario repeats in different variations.)

Basically what I am trying to get at here is we might be able to have people running cars like the C6 Corvette and 2010 Camaros (and others) in drift comps/just overall tandems without them dominating in overall speed. While using these tires improving the feeling/control of their cars in the process (in my experience on the G27, this has happened).

Still have a lot of testing to do. In the end I hope to see S-Chassis right with Camaros and Corvettes all of the time. Creating a level playing field is what I am after.

I will also be testing out different combinations of these tires. Example, front tires Comfort Hard Type (C) and rear tires Comfort Hard (V). That will take more time though.

I would like to have a few people to help me with this. If anyone would like to help me but doesn't want to use the editor to add these tires to their items list, I would be happy to send these tires to the person.

NOTE: If the room is restricted to Comfort Hard only, you will still be able to use them. They are a comfort hard class tire. But because of the GT5 V2.12 update on other people’s screens it will show you are driving on the car’s default tires (tires that come on the car when you buy it).

Zach send me some tyres please mate I want to give these a try.

Yeah when I tried this it said they were comfort soft.

Interesting, but I don't really want to use grippier tires when I don't need to.

Streeto

Interesting, but I don't really want to use grippier tires when I don't need to.

You have to manually select the special comfort hards in the driving options prior to entering a lobby or practice, even if they are equipped already.

No problem. Add my old PSN profile KYOKI-Zach. My current PSN profile friend list is full. I will add the tires to that profile when i wake up.

I got one person ahead of you two. Because of the trade limit is can only send 5 tires a day. PM me if you want to add the tires to your items list yourself if you don't want to wait. I will fill you in there because I cannot post and how-to on the threads.

Thanks ;). Sending FR now.

Gonales
What I thought of doing is buying a lot of the 'less grippy' tires in my S14, and installing them on Camaro's to see if it helps... Thats the way to get the tires right? Just buy them with a standard and not grippy car?

Edit: Nvm, it's not that easy. I will just be patient, sit here and be beautiful, and let other people do the thinking!

(Kidding)
Hahahaha. Yeah isn't that easy. Basically the type of tires that are installed could be any of the three by default.

Reddee
Zach send me some tyres please mate I want to give these a try.
Ok... I may need someone with a PC and a flash drive to help me just duplicate tires. Five a day is hard to do.
Streeto

Ok. Because of the 2.12 update when you install the tires from the items list. It will say you have the default tire on the car (default as in tires that originally came on the car.

That's the whole point. I don't want grippy tires to the point of snappy feeling. So these tires you will notice more control and will notice how different angles will affect your speed through the corner.

Like Megamarcx84 has said. After you install the tires from your items list. You have to select them in the driving options.

============

If some of you guys have a PC and a flash drive, and don't mind using one of the garage editors please PM me. It would get your tires to you faster and you would be able to test more cars at a time.

Last edited:
VERY interesting find! The fact that PD seemingly thought about including this is good news (or conversely, bad news that they didn't actually include it, like some of the other hidden parts). Have you by any chance given them a go on the speed test to get max longitudinal G readings and/or compared max cornering G? It'd be cool to know how much of a "traction oval" their "traction circle" is! I'd always assumed things were pretty much a pure circle (i.e. max sideways G = max longitudinal G). From what you're saying, if cars have one of the two types then this isn't the case, interesting.

I'd love it if they released more detail like this in a patch, give me this over new cars any day of the week!

Cheers,

Bread

bread82
VERY interesting find! The fact that PD seemingly thought about including this is good news (or conversely, bad news that they didn't actually include it, like some of the other hidden parts). Have you by any chance given them a go on the speed test to get max longitudinal G readings and/or compared max cornering G? It'd be cool to know how much of a "traction oval" their "traction circle" is! I'd always assumed things were pretty much a pure circle (i.e. max sideways G = max longitudinal G). From what you're saying, if cars have one of the two types then this isn't the case, interesting.

I'd love it if they released more detail like this in a patch, give me this over new cars any day of the week!

Cheers,

Bread

I guess i could have a go with that. I'll just do a full throttle launch on SSRX. I'll tune a transmission so it isn't just a instant burnout.

GreazyTee
Lock i have some of these tires, i think its on my m3 and maybe my s13

Feel free to post your experiences with these tires. Good or bad.

Like i said i am trying to level out the playing field. Community's thoughts in this is what I am after.

Feel free to post your experiences with these tires. Good or bad.

Like i said i am trying to level out the playing field. Community's thoughts in this is what I am after.

Yeah it sounds and excellent plan, only problem is, I've only tested these tires on a 900bhp car LOL

I'll try them tonight on a underpowered car

I have flash drive but no pc at the minute. I could dupe them back if that is possible.

It's very disappointing in my opinion that features like this are hidden and you can never truly know what you are running.

Reddee
I have flash drive but no pc at the minute. I could dupe them back if that is possible.

Not duplicate them back to me. I need someone to help me duplicate them to other people.

Trade limit is the problem.

You Drunk Bro
It's very disappointing in my opinion that features like this are hidden and you can never truly know what you are running.

That's the whole point bro. From what I have gathered is that cars like the C6 Corvette, 2010 Camaro, RX7 Spirit R are running the Type (V) tires stock. The whole point of what I am getting at here is to level out the overall speed of the cars. In result seeing S-Chassis keeping up with the faster cars. I am sure you have seen the Corvette C6s and 2010 Camaros going 80-90 degrees and still pulling away. This will make them at least not do this as bad.

And it is very easy to see who has these tires on. Like i said in the bottom of my OP as a example.

Last edited:
Lock2Lock
Not duplicate them back to me. I need someone to help me duplicate them to other people.

Trade limit is the problem.

That's the whole point bro. From what I have gathered is that cars like the C6 Corvette, 2010 Camaro, RX7 Spirit R are running the Type (V) tires stock. The whole point of what I am getting at here is to level out the overall speed of the cars. In result seeing S-Chassis keeping up with the faster cars. I am sure you have seen the Corvette C6s and 2010 Camaros going 80-90 degrees and still pulling away. This will make them at least not do this as bad.

And it is very easy to see who has these tires on. Like i said in the bottom of my OP as a example.

Oh I can dupe them to other people can you dupe them like you dupe a car?.

Reddee
Oh I can dupe them to other people can you dupe them like you dupe a car?.

Yes you can.

Here's what I'll do. Tomorrow I will add them to my old account. Then send you two of each tire. If you wouldn't mind helping me send these tires out I would really appreciate it.

Lock2Lock
Yes you can.

Here's what I'll do. Tomorrow I will add them to my old account. Then send you two of each tire. If you wouldn't mind helping me send these tires out I would really appreciate it.

I can do that Zach no problem, it will probably be saturday when I can send them as I'm working tomorrow.

Reddee
I can do that Zach no problem, it will probably be saturday when I can send them as I'm working tomorrow.

Ok. Just do me a favor. Add KYOKI-Zach. Using that old account to do this.

Thanks bro

You Drunk Bro

This.

Now fast cars can be even faster. Fair comps are now dead.

SPANK
This.

Not really I haven't tried these yet but from what I understand grippy cars like the m3 are already on these tyres. I'm not sure but I assume if you put them on a grippy car they won't affect the grip as they already have them as standard.

Reddee
Not really I haven't tried these yet but from what I understand grippy cars like the m3 are already on these tyres. I'm not sure but I assume if you put them on a grippy car they won't affect the grip as they already have them as standard.

Makes sense.

SPANK
Makes sense.

I could be wrong that's why I want them to test this out. If I'm right this could make comps a lot more fair.

Last edited:
SPANK
This.

Direct opposite. This....
Reddee

Basically yes. But remember this is the case for some cars that have that grip level stock. Some cars have the regular Comfort Hard tires. So keep that in mind. There will be a OP update soon to further explain that.

Also these tires will affect the whole car. Not just the speed. Today after tuning my 1969 Z28. I tried the tires in many different variations. At Susuka East going for max angle.

(Remember all on my G27)

The Comfort Hard Type (V) on front and rear:
The car had a snappy oversteer and overall snappy. And still had a lazy feeling in the wheel Wasn't a good combination. The overall grip was weird. Felt like the laziness of the Z28 with the snappy feeling of the 2010 Camaro. Also felt like it just wanted to straighten out.

Comfort Hard Type (C) on front and rear:
The car was more controlled. The information sent through the wheel was amazing. It is easier to tell when you are pushing the car too much. Transitions were overall faster and more responsive.

Believe it or not but there is a noticeable speed increase in how fast the G27 steering wheel spins and reacts (which blew me away). Haven't really paid much attention to that before.

I also tried mix matching the tires.

Comfort Hard Type (V) in the front and Comfort Hard (C) in the rear:

Felt great felt like it had more aggressive transitions (but still controlled). Slightly different speed (have to test more and more on that later). Basically for now I will say it felt like Type (C) on front and rear with more feed back.
I did try to flip that around. It just didn't work well. It created dramatic oversteer and understeer mix.

It will take a while to figure out the ideal set. But i will have someone that drifts a Camaro SS for example try them as I did. Then see what happens.

I imagine it would be fair in competitions if it could be seen which tyre (V or C) is being used. It would only be unfair if one car used V tyres while another had the normal CH tyres and was slower. Then again, if a competition had regulations on wether C or V tyres could be used it would be clear if one car had a different tyre

jrkiwiboy
I imagine it would be fair in competitions if it could be seen which tyre (V or C) is being used. It would only be unfair if one car used V tyres while another had the normal CH tyres and was slower. Then again, if a competition had regulations on wether C or V tyres could be used it would be clear if one car had a different tyre

Yep. But that is going to take a long time for it to be 100% accurate

Your right dude, well in terms of the chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back