High cost of engine/chassis overhaul

• Thread starter vaioleto
  • 21 comments
500 000 to overhaul a chassis? Really? Please Polyphony stop this nonsense and make the prices reasonable. Make them under 50 000 otherwise who is really going to redo the car when it needs to be repaired again almost immediately? This system is completely broken for expensive cars, the half price rule is utter nonsense.

I say scrap the whole structure damage thing altogether. Engine overhaul makes sense... but I want the option to turn it off. The *game* should be about the joy of driving, not the pain of fixing.

I find that engine overhauls are far cheaper for less expensive cars. For example, a Punto overhaul will probably only cost perhaps 6,000 whereas my Nismo 400R is asking 36,000 (even though it only has just over 1,000km on the clock) so can't understand why I'd need one, anyway.

500 000 to overhaul a chassis? Really? Please Polyphony stop this nonsense and make the prices reasonable. Make them under 50 000 otherwise who is really going to redo the car when it needs to be repaired again almost immediately? This system is completely broken for expensive cars, the half price rule is utter nonsense.

I say scrap the whole structure damage thing all together. Engine overhaul makes sense... but I want the option to turn it off. The *game* should be about the joy of driving, not the pain of fixing.

I disagree with the OP completely. I think the prices should stay the same or even be inflated further for chassis repair and engine reinforcement. This is the deterant for bad driving and messing your car up as well as gives car more value as they would have a length of life rather then making it so easy/cheap to just redo the engine. To redo an engine isn't a simple job.

I disagree with the OP completely. I think the prices should stay the same or even be inflated further for chassis repair and engine reinforcement. This is the deterant for bad driving and messing your car up as well as gives car more value as they would have a length of life rather then making it so easy/cheap to just redo the engine. To redo an engine isn't a simple job.

I believe it's been shown that the need for chassis repair is independent of how many times you've wrecked your car, or other "bad driving".

That's why the charge seems silly in its magnitude to me.

I've entered and exited a race without any contact or moving from the starting grid, I quit after 10 seconds.
And now the car needs a rigidity restore???

I agree with you but 500,000 after you enter a race and then quit?

For anyone to say that is right and the way it should be is blinded by the light of Kaz's great vision. :)

I've entered and exited a race without any contact or moving from the starting grid, I quit after 10 seconds.
And now the car needs a rigidity restore???
👎

You earn 289.000 with the 24h of Le Mans in B-Spec right now.
After this race your car needs an engine overhaul to reach its peak power again, which costs me 500k.

The prices are ridiculous compared to what you earn...

But what about this situation: I bought 908 HDi FAP to drive it in 24 Le Mans in some further time. Just wanted to try it out and drove it in training mode only once. One time I pushed it too hard going out of the turn and try to avoid hitting anything. Just scratched bands. I went to GTauto by curiosity to check chassis and I found out that chassis restoration costs 500k. And that's dissapointing.

Chassis Rigidity Restoration and Engine Rebuilding has NOTHING to do with car damage or crashing. Once you drive a car the first time, the option will ALWAYS show up to do these again. It's not because you need it. Neither of these need to be done until you have driven thousands of miles (or have a high mileage car).

There have been COUNTLESS threads on this. Please use the search bar. You're confusing the newcomers.

The mistake being made here is chassis rigidity and engine overhauls can be done, but don’t need to be done. You can change your oil right away and wash your car, too, but you don’t need to. Doesn’t mean it matters, simply says you can. It’s up to you to decide when. The game won’t tell you when.

1. As others have pointed out, it's not even clear what causes the chassis repair to kick in. I've personally driven a new car in a race with no contact and after a single race it needs a chassis repair.

2. It's my *game* I don't see how how I play my game affects you in such a way that you need to tell me how I can/cannot play my game. I play *games* to escape from the BS like chassis and engine repair that are in real life. Kapiche? This line of thinking doesn't make sense. Is it chauvinism or masochism? Or both?

3. Like I said, I want to drive whatever car I want, whenever I want, however I want, that is the nature of the game, a driving GAME. The repair bills have not added *anything* to the game play except take money from your wallet and deter you from driving expensive cars. Because a car that's worth 2 million will cost 1 million to repair after a single contactless race. It's compounded by the fact that you can't re-win cars even in tournaments, as if a tournament in real life will only award you a car once even if you win again the subsequent year.

Get it?

The mistake being made here is chassis rigidity and engine overhauls can be done, but don’t need to be done. You can change your oil right away and wash your car, too, but you don’t need to. Doesn’t mean it matters, simply says you can. It’s up to you to decide when. The game won’t tell you when.
Why is it there at all then? It is at least a psychological burden. For me this takes GT beyond trying to be realistic to being pretentious.

Chassis Rigidity Restoration and Engine Rebuilding has NOTHING to do with car damage or crashing. Once you drive a car the first time, the option will ALWAYS show up to do these again. It's not because you need it. Neither of these need to be done until you have driven thousands of miles (or have a high mileage car).
There have been COUNTLESS threads on this. Please use the search bar. You're confusing the newcomers.
The point of my OP is that I don't want these costs in the game at all. I wish the newcomers get confused enough and complain enough that Kaz sees his folly and remove it. Presumably the car's handling will deteriorate as you wrack up more and more miles on it. Now let me ask you, do you AI opponents have the same problems? I'm almost certain they drive brand new cars every race. Even if realistically it doesn't affect your handling, you still psychologically feel as if you're driving a worse car after every race/practice/time trial.

It's like paying property tax, on your bloody car in a videogame!

Last edited:
Does it get more expensive the longer you go without it? Because my NASCAR Toyota only wants 500cr for each. That was with rebuilding it immediately before and after running the NASCAR challenges in A - B-Spec though. No idea if iit'd be more if I put a coupla thousand more miles on it.

I don't mind the game mechanic, but it needs to

a: be consistant
b: make sense so that we can understand it.

All these threads is something I dont get. Just because your allowed to do an engine/chassis overhaul doesnt mean you need to do it.

If an oil change regains all lost hp, why blow all that money rebuilding the engine?
If the car still handles the same, why rebuild the chassis?

Id love to have that much money to throw away...

I have to disagree with you.

There are times when you don't need to do a engine overhaul, or wash your car so the option is not always there. This is just one of the things that people get confused about when it comes to understanding what PD has done since they put out no direction or clear defintion on what and when things have to be done. If you don't have to do the rigity restore then you shouldn't have the option.

It doesn't make sense. If the car needs it then the game should prompt you or give some sort of percentage of the shape the chassis is in.

1. As others have pointed out, it's not even clear what causes the chassis repair to kick in. I've personally driven a new car in a race with no contact and after a single race it needs a chassis repair.

2. It's my *game* I don't see how how I play my game affects you in such a way that you need to tell me how I can/cannot play my game. I play *games* to escape from the BS like chassis and engine repair that are in real life. Kapiche? This line of thinking doesn't make sense. Is it chauvinism or masochism? Or both?

3. Like I said, I want to drive whatever car I want, whenever I want, however I want, that is the nature of the game, a driving GAME. The repair bills have not added *anything* to the game play except take money from your wallet and deter you from driving expensive cars. Because a car that's worth 2 million will cost 1 million to repair after a single contactless race. It's compounded by the fact that you can't re-win cars even in tournaments, as if a tournament in real life will only award you a car once even if you win again the subsequent year.

Get it?
👍

LOL

Does it get more expensive the longer you go without it? Because my NASCAR Toyota only wants 500cr for each. That was with rebuilding it immediately before and after running the NASCAR challenges in A - B-Spec though. No idea if iit'd be more if I put a coupla thousand more miles on it.

I don't mind the game mechanic, but it needs to

a: be consistant
b: make sense so that we can understand it.

Stealth and Pre-order cars only have a 500cr fee for the restorations...all other cars seem to follow the "50% of car value" rule...

Have to laugh at the people who think the chassis repair is due to bad driving, its nothing to do with crashing, just distance driven. Secondly, just because the feature is available it does not mean it is needed, most cars will do 3000miles or more before they need any treatment, the chassis feature will become available after 1 race, the engine will become available when it has broken in.... Take heed that the engine will have more power when it has been broken in with fresh oil than when it has been rebuilt, most cars will remain at that power for thousands of miles, if you rebuild the engine before it is needed you will likely lose power for a few races while it breaks in again.

I agree with you. The only time you need to do a Chassis Restore is when you drive down a straightaway and your car pulls to the left or right. Then you know your chassis is messed up. Other then then dont ever pay it. I've been driving since the beginning an never spent a dollar on it. Use at your own risk.

Bigbazz is right, as I see that even after I just purchased a car I am still allowed the option of going in and changing the oil, even though that's brand new. After racing or driving a car once, the option to fix the chassis or the engine opens up. However minute or massive the overhauls are, they all cost the same. I suspect that they do this to discourage players from doing teeny tiny repairs every race or so, because you wouldn't be doing that in real life.

Remember that all engines and all chassis don't wear equally: an endurance race would put a car through the wringer far faster than a single three-lap sprint. A car that has a redline of around 10000 RPM and can pull 2 lateral Gs regularly will stress its chassis and powerplant far more than a car with a redline of about 6000 and the cornering composure of a slice of French toast.

Also, remember that GT5 is a driving simulator that is meant to put the driver (you) at the center of the whole game's focus. In the real world, there's no light that comes on in your car next to the "CHASSIS NOW WIGGLY AS JELL-O" or "ENGINE IS MORE WORN THAN A *BLEEP*'S *BLEEP*." Rather, you have to feel those things. Case in point: one of my first purchases was a Renault Clio V6 Phase II. Only way I could get my hands on one was through the Used Car Dealership, and she already had more than 30,000 km under her belt. Despite my previous knowledge of the Clio being a mid-engined car with a nimble, responsive disposition (although there's also a prejudice against it that it understeers that I never got) the car felt like it had tires made of that plastic they make Barbie dolls with and the vehicle was wiggly and nervous, ready to step the tail out at almost any corner if I braked while turning. I immediately laid blame on the chassis losing rigidity, and it turned out I was right. As soon as I started driving that Clio, the effects of my new friend's mileage all came crashing down on me. I still won races, of course, but that was because it was all lower-level racing and I had changed the oil so power delivery was back to being smooth. I suspect I chose poorly because I ended up with a small French car that could absolutely blast down straightaways but went into a blind, flailing panic when the road got bendy and I had to lose speed quickly.

GT5 won't hold a player's hand because the game wants the player to learn through experience. As that player becomes more experienced simply from racing, earning licenses, all of that stuff, it would get pretty annoying if the game didn't trust the player's judgment.

Also, remember that GT5 is a driving simulator that is meant to put the driver (you) at the center of the whole game's focus. In the real world
Disagree, it's a driving simulator, not a real life simulator. Few people want to pay the repair bills in this game for the same reason that people won't want to pay taxes in GTA. Like I said, it's pretentious.

In real life, if you car's chassis gets bad enough that it won't even go straight on the straight, you replace it. But in this game, certain cars can only be won once. It even fails to simulate real life in this aspect.

I'd be less averse to this if they actually let you repair it yourself. Putting the parts together, taking things apart etc. But no, you just pay a gratuitous sum and VOILA! Like new! Does that make sense to you? If this feature is about a relationship between you and your car, then the execution delivers none of that. If it's about simulating the crappiness of real life, then I want no part of it. This "feature" (anti-feature) as it is now has no place in this game.

I hope that both Chassis and Engine overhaul will one day work together with the crashing system (as in multiplayer mode).
If you crash your car badly that will afect handling and aerodynamics and it will need a Chassis overhaul to fix both.
If your crash was bad enough to affect the engine/mechanics of the car then it would need an engine overhaul.
The prices should grow with your crashes and if you only scratched your car you should only wash it to get rid of the "scars".

I think the game would be a better sim like this...

You crash, you need to fix
Your car gets dirt, you need to wash
Your car roll over and hit a wall at 200km/h, you need a new car

IMO that would bring a lot of fun to the game

I hope that both Chassis and Engine overhaul will one day work together with the crashing system (as in multiplayer mode).
If you crash your car badly that will afect handling and aerodynamics and it will need a Chassis overhaul to fix both.
If your crash was bad enough to affect the engine/mechanics of the car then it would need an engine overhaul.
The prices should grow with your crashes and if you only scratched your car you should only wash it to get rid of the "scars".

I think the game would be a better sim like this...

You crash, you need to fix
Your car gets dirt, you need to wash
Your car roll over and hit a wall at 200km/h, you need a new car

IMO that would bring a lot of fun to the game
Games mimicking real life punishments on the player... that's... fun?

Back