High End Guitars/BassesMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter ceiling_fan
  • 50 comments
  • 3,687 views
Solid Lifters
Ryan, sweet looking guitar. It looks not so different from the standard Axis guitar. 👍

It's really not, pretty much the only difference is the controls and the trem. The regular axis has a switch, volume knob and a Floyd, whereas mine has a volume, tone, and a Music Man trem.
 
danoff
Ok, I'm an idiot... clearly.

My response to this is

- What's a tremelo? And how many types are there and what are the differences?

The tremolo is the bridge of the guitar. It has a "arm" that's referred to as a "whammy bar" that you use to bend down to lower your notes, or raise to make the notes go higher. The springs on the back allows this to happen. The springs and the tension of the strings keep the tremolo in place. It is not bolted or attached to the guitar in any way. There are a bunch of different types, but there are generally four types. Floyd Rose (and licensed by FR), Trans Trem, Bigsby and generic tremolos. The later two are non locking. That means, the nut does not clamp down on the string to lock in the position, or tension, of the strings. Look at the locking nut and you'll see three allan screws holding them down. One screw for two strings. Using non locking tremolos with cause strings to go out of tune, and if a string breaks, the tension is lowered and the strings will start to play sharp.

- I think I know what the nut is, but what's a "locking" nut.

Read above.

- What's the difference between H-H and H-S-S and H-S-H pickup layouts

H means humbucker. S means single coil. The first letter represents the bridge pickup and the so forth. The sound of the bridge pickups, no matter what kind of pickup is used, are very bright and thin sounding, while neck pickups are a lot warmer and fatter. So, by using a fatter sounding pickup, a humbucker, in the bridge evens out the sound and tone of the guitar. Adding a middle pickup to a H-H, or make it H-H-H or H-S-H, layout adds more output, signal, harmonics and evens out the tone and sound of the bridge and neck pickups.

- what's the alternative to "active" pickups and what's the difference?

Passive pickups use no electricity to function, while active pickups use batteries. There are very few guitar active pickups, but there a lot of bass pickups that are active. Active pickups come with a "programmed" sound and tone that passives obviously don't have. Going active lets manufacturers have more control over how a pickup sounds.


- What on Earth is an EMG Humbucking pickup and what other types are there?

EMG is a pickup manufacturer. That make mostly bar magnet pickups. They have a website with sound samples, and a better explanation of what they are. So does Seymour Duncan. Check them out for pickup details.

- Why on Earth would more frets not be better?

It doesn't mean better, just different. Some people see more frets as easier to play, and others do not. Whatever floats your boat... 24 fret guitars are two octaves. Some see that as easier to play. While 21 frets mean you'll need to bend like mad to reach the second octave, if you want to go there. Plus, more frets mean the frets are usually smaller. Meaning, more narrow. 24 frets in the same space as a 21 fret guitar means the frets in the 24 fret guitar will have smaller frets, and the 21 will have wider frets. This relates to playing comfort. You'll need to stretch your fingers more to make certain cords with the 21 fret guitar because, again, the frets are wider. 24 frets means less space to stretch and those with big hands or thick fingers might not play comfortably as say a 21 or 22 fret guitar.

I think there needs to be a newbie guitar thread where one can learn about these things. Perhaps there is a website where I can get educated on all of these fancy shamcy things.

I have a ton of websites related to guitar. I'm not sure what is a beginner friendly, but here are some, anyway.

This sight is the best, but could be a little overwhelming at first. Click on the link, and then choose the guitar body or the neck. Then, a list of items appears on the right. Click on each item to learn what that part is and where it belongs. http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/guitars.cfm

This one explains the difference in woods and other details... http://www.carvin.com/wood_finish/

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=615&cat_name=SWITCHES

Here's a great pickup glossary from the Seymour Duncan website... http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/glossary.shtml

And from EMG... http://www.emginc.com/guitar.asp

Guitar Glossary... http://mediawebsource.com/guitar/glossary.htm

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Repairs.htm
 
Solid Lifters
The tremolo is the bridge of the guitar. It has a "arm" that's referred to as a "whammy bar" that you use to bend down to lower your notes, or raise to make the notes go higher. The springs on the back allows this to happen. The springs and the tension of the strings keep the tremolo in place. It is not bolted or attached to the guitar in any way. There are a bunch of different types, but there are generally four types. Floyd Rose (and licensed by FR), Trans Trem, Bigsby and generic tremolos. The later two are non locking. That means, the nut does not clamp down on the string to lock in the position, or tension, of the strings. Look at the locking nut and you'll see three allan screws holding them down. One screw for two strings. Using non locking tremolos with cause strings to go out of tune, and if a string breaks, the tension is lowered and the strings will start to play sharp.

Right now, my electric has a tremelo that sits solidly against the body of the guiltar, so I can only dive the note. I've always been irritated by that, but I can't use the wammy much anyway because I've got absolutely nothing going on at the nut - meaning I lose tuning if I do much with the wammy at all.

That being said, I still have used my wammy to develop what I consider to be a bad habbit - using very light wammy for vibrato.



Passive pickups use no electricity to function, while active pickups use batteries. There are very few guitar active pickups, but there a lot of bass pickups that are active. Active pickups come with a "programmed" sound and tone that passives obviously don't have. Going active lets manufacturers have more control over how a pickup sounds.

I'm pretty sure that my cheapo electric right now has passive pickups - but are they still either H or S? Or are they something else when they're passive?

It doesn't mean better, just different. Some people see more frets as easier to play, and others do not. Whatever floats your boat... 24 fret guitars are two octaves. Some see that as easier to play. While 21 frets mean you'll need to bend like mad to reach the second octave, if you want to go there. Plus, more frets mean the frets are usually smaller. Meaning, more narrow. 24 frets in the same space as a 21 fret guitar means the frets in the 24 fret guitar will have smaller frets, and the 21 will have wider frets. This relates to playing comfort. You'll need to stretch your fingers more to make certain cords with the 21 fret guitar because, again, the frets are wider. 24 frets means less space to stretch and those with big hands or thick fingers might not play comfortably as say a 21 or 22 fret guitar.

Now I want to know what I have. Sounds like 24 is what I want.

What about sustains? I've always thought those were cool, how does that happen on a guitar?
 
Since SL is in this thread and probably answering your sustain question, I won't answer it. But, I have a question: What exactly is a piezo pickup?
 
danoff
Right now, my electric has a tremelo that sits solidly against the body of the guiltar, so I can only dive the note. I've always been irritated by that, but I can't use the wammy much anyway because I've got absolutely nothing going on at the nut - meaning I lose tuning if I do much with the wammy at all.

Some temolos, and it's the popular thing these days, are "blocked" or not allowed to float. They can only dive bomb.

That being said, I still have used my wammy to develop what I consider to be a bad habbit - using very light wammy for vibrato.

That's not a bad habit. That's your unique playing style. There isn't a "wrong way" to play guitar so long you stay comfortable and can make music that sounds good. David Gilmour plays that way. He's done alright...

I'm pretty sure that my cheapo electric right now has passive pickups - but are they still either H or S? Or are they something else when they're passive?

If they have a two single coils together they're humbuckers. Two single coils make up a humbucker. The singles are wired backwards to each other and this cancels the hum noise that single coils usually have and makes them sound smoother and warmer.

Now I want to know what I have. Sounds like 24 is what I want.

Count the frets. They start with one right after the nut, and go to whatever near the neck pickup. Notice the two dot marks at the middle of the fingerboard? That's fret number 12, the first octave of the guitar. Next dot will be the 15, then 17, then 19 and it ends there on a 21 fret guitar even though there are two more frets to go.

What about sustains? I've always thought those were cool, how does that happen on a guitar?

Sustainers, like the Fernandez sustainers look like pickups but they're not. I'm not too familiar with them. If I want sustain, I crank up my amp and use feedback. There's a device called the "E bow" that sustains notes, too. I never bought one.

A piezo pickup mounts inside the bridge, directly underneath the saddle. Due to the pickup's position, the strings vibration travel directly into the pickup element. For this reason, some people feel that piezo pickups do not accurately reflect the timbre of the whole instrument, rather, just the strings. While this makes sense, the guitar does affect the vibration of the strings, imparting the character of the guitar both to the string and thus the pickup. The other common complaint about piezo pickups is referred to as "quack". Quack can be described as an unusual attack characteristic that is a somewhat bright compressed tone compared to the natural attack of the instrument. They can be used on electric and acoustic guitars.
 
God this thread is filled with such hot pictures!
These are guitars I'd love to get my hands on.



 
Here are some pics of different pickups. There's a lot more than this, so look with Google searches.

Humbucker

p13731b-d29df33fdf35e20e63db7a607e76b00e.jpg


guitar-pickup-kit.jpg




Single Coil

DimarzioDP170Big.jpg


Fernandez Sustainer

fernandes_fsk-101_open.jpg


The Fernandez Sustainer operates like the E bow device. It sends out a magnetic force field that causes the strings to vibrate.
 
Solid Lifters
That's not a bad habit. That's your unique playing style. There isn't a "wrong way" to play guitar so long you stay comfortable and can make music that sounds good. David Gilmour plays that way. He's done alright...

I'd say so. :lol:

And I also do this, mainly because I saw Gilmour do it, and also I use it when I'm bending the smaller strings. I feel like when I bend them, I have more control over a vibrato when holding then bend and using the trem, rather than trying to evenly vibrato the note with my fingers.
 
I finally have pics of my guitars! I originally said I would post them a year and a half ago. :lol:



Left to right: PRS, Gibson, Schecter.
 
Hey! Got something against maple fingerboards? :p

Nice collection, dude! 👍
 
Oh man that PRS is smexy.
 
Damn, I love this thread too much. Enjoy these Quicksilvers:

Figured Walnut Top
qsg125n.jpg


Cocobolo Top and Sides, Korina back
qsg1010.jpg


I'm guessing 8000-10000 dollars here. :eek:
qsg1005.jpg


Macassar Striped Ebony
qsg015a.jpg


I played this one last year, the lower switch can pull out and cause the fret markers to turn on. They were LED markers.
qsg1008.jpg
 
Meh, no maple 'boards. Though, I really like the first one and the last one. 👍

They look PRS guitars. Meh, not much a fan of those. :p
 
JEM DNA2k, the cool thing, if you think so, is in the swirl where it looks blood red, it's actually Steve Vai's Blood.

Steve-Vai-DNA-Guitar-10.jpg


JS Chrome Boy

122.jpg


JEM 20th

JEM20.JPG


J.Custom

53992_b.gif
 
plm3.gif

Caparison PLM-3

p32077h-d57ff5be984211835c23050433649db4.jpg

Dean USA Razorback Rust
 
I don't know if it's high end or not, but I'm starting to seriously consider buying this one:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S620EXQM

S620EXQMTGB.png

The other guitarist in my band is thinking of buying the exact same model as that, It's a pretty good looking guitar, alot like the JS but not quite. Me, my guitar right now is a JS100 with the PAF Pro and Joe's I think but I really want to get a JEM as my next guitar, I figure I'd sell the JS to handle some of the cost.

JEM%20BFP.JPG


I love that guitar!
 
The other guitarist in my band is thinking of buying the exact same model as that, It's a pretty good looking guitar, alot like the JS but not quite. Me, my guitar right now is a JS100 with the PAF Pro and Joe's I think but I really want to get a JEM as my next guitar, I figure I'd sell the JS to handle some of the cost.

JEM%20BFP.JPG


I love that guitar!


Jem BFP!!! You'd probably have a little struggle finding it, but check out jemsite.com.
 
Back