Home made controller HACK to NEVER SPIN with TCS off!

• Thread starter Mango_man
  • 51 comments
India
India
Posted in the wrong GT Sport section before this (online racing and leagues), so reposting here.
1522183953186291709016.jpg

Ok it's not a hack.. just a temporary workaround that wont harm your controller.. and it works like a charm!

Basically all you need is a double sided THICK tape(sticky from both sides) and your controller.

You are gonna use a small rectangular piece of this thick double sided tape and use it as a TRIGGER STOP on your R2 trigger. Be in game with a Gr.3 car and BLOCK the motion of your R2 trigger at about 50% throttle. You can do this accurately by looking at the on screen throttle indicator. Might need a little trial and error to get it right but its fairly easy.

NOW in the controller settings menu assign acceleration to R1 button as well as the default R2 trigger. Yes you now have two buttons that accelerate your car.

Done! Voila! Simply use R2 to slowly accelerate to 50% throttle and then when you deem fit release R2 and quickly press R1 button to accelerate to full throttle. (Pro tip- For quicker response keep R1 pressed in advance before releasing R2 so as to minimise downtime...no R1 wont override R2 until you release R2 and vice-versa. Same way you can pre-press R2 while still accelerating with R1 if a turn is coming that needs lesser throttle than 100% but not 0%, and simply release R1 when needed, your throttle will fall to 50% or below since R2 is pre-pressed)

Why this works is because usually cars spin when we apply more than 50% throttle at lower speeds or while cornering, as its difficult to manage the limited travel of R2 trigger compared to a pedal in a wheel setup. This way with the trigger stop you never exceed that range with R2 and still have full throttle with R1 once you are in motion.

This works also, because in GT sport when acceleration is assigned to an on/off button like R1 or Square etc, the throttle doesnt go from 0% to 100% in an instant when said button is pressed, instead it gradually rises as if pressing the trigger. Thus, once you accelerate to 50% with R2- then release it and quickly press R1- the jump doesnt happen from 50% to 100% in an instant, instead it gradually rises to 100% so you dont skid or spin!

Let me know if this works for you guys. It works flawlessly for me. Although no match to a wheel and pedal setup, its miles/kilometers better than TCS at 2 for Gr.3 and Gr.1 cars. I am able to better my times by almost 5-10% vs. TCS at 2.

P.S. Its a temporary hack and your controller is not damaged even a little bit. Just remove the tape after your session is over! Oh and if your tape is a little too squishy to make the trigger stop at 50%, then simply cut a same sized piece of a thick-ish business card and stick it on the outer side of the double sided tape.. it will do the job.

Good luck!

P.S.S. You can repeatedly tap R1 button when you dont need 100% throttle but still need more than 50%. Yes its not perfect, but its close enough. Also, photo attached.

This would muck up my controller for playing fortnite between races
No it wont. Infact a trigger stop is very effective for shooters as well since only half R2 needs to be pressed to actually shoot the gun. More effective for semi-automatic weapons.

I will have to try this as it seems okay. I change the controller back to the sticks myself. I do not like the l2/r2 even though I use them on gta. I have just been so used to the sticks on gt for so long, ala gt1,2,3,4,5,6. I will try this though, sounds pretty good, thanks for sharing. I have been off for a bit, but it seems like once you get a little used to it, should work really good.

TBH I find developing my skills better than sticking chunks of tape on my controller, but that's just me...

With the linear input on the R2 trigger, it's not that hard really...

Gonna put up a video to prove this?

Obligatory TLDR response.

I'm wondering if this 'invention' was discovered by a carelessly discarded booger

Obligatory funny man.

Without training, yes.

Obligatory 'git gud' overlord.

TBH I find developing my skills better than sticking chunks of tape on my controller, but that's just me...

With the linear input on the R2 trigger, it's not that hard really...

Obligatory 'git gud' overlord in humble disguise.

The R2 trigger is NOT ideal with TCS off for Gr.3 rear wheel monsters. Gr.1 tcs off is suicide with a controller. Not saying its not possible, its just not ideal. Its a hardware limitation, a handicap, because of the very small travel of the R2 trigger from 0-100 range compared to a real pedal.

Add to that, to make matters worse, approximately the final 50-100% throttle range is spread across only the final 20%-ish range of the R2 triggers travel, meaning its easy to manage throttle input from 0-60%-ish range but very tricky and difficult to gradually increase throttle input from 60-100% range. Thus, spin.

But thats not to say that no one can do it or that its not possible. Its just a needless handicap and a useless struggle to wrestle with it when a makeshift trigger stop can help. But to each his own.

Obligatory funny man.

The R2 trigger is NOT ideal with TCS off for Gr.3 rear wheel monsters. Gr.1 tcs off is suicide with a controller. Not saying its not possible, its just not ideal. Its a hardware limitation, a handicap, because of the very small travel of the R2 trigger from 0-100 range compared to a real pedal.

Add to that, to make matters worse, approximately the final 50-100% throttle range is spread across only the final 20%-ish range of the R2 triggers travel, meaning its easy to manage throttle input from 0-60%-ish range but very tricky and difficult to gradually increase throttle input from 60-100% range. Thus, spin.

But thats not to say that no one can do it or that its not possible. Its just a needless handicap and a useless struggle to wrestle with it when a makeshift trigger stop can help. But to each his own.

Man you are quick to judge. As a matter of fact I DID READ IT. A video to prove ths would be nice. And i must say you are a obligitory 🤬.

I will have to try this as it seems okay. I change the controller back to the sticks myself. I do not like the l2/r2 even though I use them on gta. I have just been so used to the sticks on gt for so long, ala gt1,2,3,4,5,6. I will try this though, sounds pretty good, thanks for sharing. I have been off for a bit, but it seems like once you get a little used to it, should work really good.

I tried using right stick as throttle but just couldnt get used to it. Hurts my brain because of 15 years of games asking me to press R2 to go forward when in a car. Also i kept moving the right stick like it was the left stick- as if I was steering with two sticks. Also, its not an ideal setup because you cant use the brakes AND accelerate at the same time. So, yea. This quick workaround did the trick for me.

Man you are quick to judge. As a matter of fact I DID READ IT. A video to prove ths would be nice. And i must say you are a obligitory 🤬.

Haha

Na I think the fact that I posted a wall of text with a picture exactly demonstrating the hack was NICE enough. Now be nice and do the 5 minute DIY quick fix yourself if you are interested. Or dont!

Last edited by a moderator:

Obligatory funny man.

Na I think the fact that I posted a wall of text with a picture exactly demonstrating the hack was NICE enough. Now be nice and do the 5 minute DIY quick fix yourself if you are interested. Or dont!
Obligatory edgy responses from "misunderstood" OP.

very small travel of the R2 trigger from 0-100 range compared to a real pedal
A reminder that fingers are also smaller than feet and humans usually have more precise control over their fingers than over their feet.

As a matter of fact, if you don't want to master using triggers, why not just turn TCS on? It's just a needless handicap and a useless struggle to wrestle with when TCS can help. But to each his own.

I will have to try this as it seems okay. I change the controller back to the sticks myself. I do not like the l2/r2 even though I use them on gta. I have just been so used to the sticks on gt for so long, ala gt1,2,3,4,5,6.
Man, I wish I could get used to sticks as much. They are still my least favorite means of input.

Haha

So you wont prove that this works then? I won't do something that isn't proven to work.

Obligatory Selfie
upload_2018-3-28_12-57-0.png

Obligatory bump to save your thread that may have disappeared into the forgotten history of page 2 threads without comments, whether you like them or not.

Obligatory cease or desist letter in the post, I already patented this booger attachment.

Obligatory Edit - just switch CSA on and you won't spin out

Obligatory smiley to remind people to not get offended by opinions different to their own :D

Obligatory quote taken out of context:
Man, I wish I could get used to sticks as much. They are still my least favorite means of input.
ooooh errrrrr Mrs

Haha

I like to see gameplay using it
My DS4 is broken so I can't use it at all, nor do I have double-sided tape as well. I can't exactly replicate what you did so the next best thing is to watch gameplay using that DIY solution, of which there is none
Obligatory edit after backreading:
Obligatory Selfie
View attachment 725425

Obligatory bump to save your thread that may have disappeared into the forgotten history of page 2 threads without comments, whether you like them or not.

Obligatory cease or desist letter in the post, I already patented this booger attachment.

Obligatory Edit - just switch CSA on and you won't spin out

Obligatory smiley to remind people to not get offended by opinions different to their own :D

Obligatory quote taken out of context:

ooooh errrrrr Mrs
Wait that's you?

Obligatory edgy responses from "misunderstood" OP.

A reminder that fingers are also smaller than feet and humans usually have more precise control over their fingers than over their feet.

As a matter of fact, if you don't want to master using triggers, why not just turn TCS on? It's just a needless handicap and a useless struggle to wrestle with when TCS can help. But to each his own.

TCS on* is slower. Also, water is wet.

Its not about the size of fingers and feet. The issue is the small size of the travel of R2 trigger from 0% to 100% range, and that how unevenly and in exponential increments it corresponds to the throttle input beyond 50% depression of the trigger.

So you wont prove that this works then? I won't do something that isn't proven to work.

That just cost me millions.

Last edited:
TCS off is slower. Also, water is wet.

Its not about the size of fingers and feet. The issue is the small size of the travel of R2 trigger from 0% to 100% range, and that how unevenly and in exponential increments it corresponds to the throttle input beyond 50% depression of the trigger.

That just cost me millions.

Were you selling the double sided tape;)?

ooooh errrrrr Mrs
lol wut

TCS off is slower.
Isn't that a good reason to turn it on?

Also, water is wet.
This is exactly why TCS exists.

Its not about the size of fingers and feet.
You've been comparing the travel of R2 trigger to the travel of a pedal. They are not operated by same parts of the body. So, like it or not, it is.

I don't use a controller, but I tried the same idea with my throttle pedal, while I'm still early in the test phase... it's looking promising 👍
Sir, you've just made my day. 👍

And here is your obligatory complaint about the clickbait title. Anywho I do find a lot of complaints about the throttle curve in this game to be blown out of proportion a bit, yes its not ideal, but its not uncontrollable or anything.

Back