Home made controller HACK to NEVER SPIN with TCS off!

• Thread starter Mango_man
  • 51 comments
Man + stick (+euphemism) x Input = innuendo
Ah, I see. I suck at innuendos.

OP is triggered and everyone else is making fun? :cool:
OP made a solution to the "TCS off spinouts" problem without realizing how awkward his solution is compared to other variants and goes on about it like it's an invention worthy of Nobel Prize.

Also, really no offense to OP in this regard, but, as an owner of a custom DS4 in Wave Blue shell, seeing the factory sticker peeling off on his DS4 made me feel a bit uncomfortable...

OP made a solution to the "TCS off spinouts" problem without realizing how awkward his solution is compared to other variants and goes on about it like it's an invention worthy of Nobel Prize.

Commenter made a judgement on the OP's solution to the 'tcs off spin problem' calling it awkwardly worse than other variants of solutions that force you to enable even more assists, WITHOUT TRYING SAID OP'S SOLUTION.

Seriously though ASM, strong counter steer or other assists do not help much with the spins caused by excessive throttle input at slower speeds when TCS if off. Especially for gr3 and above rear wheel monsters. Also assists make you overall slower and hinder your raw inputs with artificial corrections.

I know this trigger stop workaround works for me and would work for other average controller plebs too, most of whom will silently read, may be try it..or not.. and peacefully bow out from this mess of a thread the 'git gud-ur controller stickers are faded-overlords' have created.

I'm tempted to try it for battlefield, the speed at which I empty my mag before I've landed my crosshair on the target, and am then reloading while he turns around to see what all the noise was about, and shoots me :banghead:

Commenter made a judgement on the OP's solution to the 'tcs off spin problem' calling it awkwardly worse than other variants of solutions that force you to enable even more assists, WITHOUT TRYING SAID OP'S SOLUTION.
It does get awkward when you need to operate the throttle with both R1 and R2. I don't feel like shooting a video just to show that. Anyone with DS4 can try managing throttle using both R1 and R2 themselves.

Also assists ... hinder your raw inputs with artificial corrections.
In-game assists digitally hinder raw inputs. Your tape thingy does the same but physically. And also makes you need a separate button for 100% throttle.
Not sure about you guys, but I'd really rather git gud than do this weird mumbo-jumbo.

@Mango_man do you use AT or MT?

As MT gives you the option to stay in a higher gear it helps limit the transfer of torque to the wheels even if you have given it too much throttle.

I use the right stick for throttle and L2 for brake , i had to change because my DS4 is getting old and its got to the point where its nearly impossible to actually press the R2 trigger in far enough to get full throttle. This might help a few people too as with this setup you can still use the brake and accelerator at the same time, i use auto gears though. Might not have enough spare controller mappings with manual gears needing two more buttons.

It does get awkward when you need to operate the throttle with both R1 and R2. I don't feel like shooting a video just to show that. Anyone with DS4 can try managing throttle using both R1 and R2 themselves.

In-game assists digitally hinder raw inputs. Your tape thingy does the same but physically. And also makes you need a separate button for 100% throttle.
Not sure about you guys, but I'd really rather git gud than do this weird mumbo-jumbo.

Did you try it?

Because I did.. in more than 40 races now.. and it isnt as awkward as manually applying pressure on a flimsy R2 trigger with a finger hovering in mid air without much feedback or support or room for precision from the trigger itself... in the heat of a close battle on the 10th lap of a sweaty race with a rear wheel gr1 monster and tcs off.

The tape thingy does not hinder raw input. At best it splits acceleration to 2 commands that dont require pressure sensitive finesse on a little piece of plastic but instead changes the mechanics of acceleration to 2 button-timing based command.

Ofcourse its always good to git gud. Sure. But why are you needlessly dissing at a solution you are not willing to even test and in fact advising others who might (or might not) benefit from it by trying, against it.

Your objections are theoretical but your conclusions are decisive to the point where you are recommending others to git gud instead.. whereas my solution is experimentel, tested, inexpensive and still my whole point till now has been to just offer it as an optional solution to those who arent and cant git gud with the vanilla state of affairs.

At this point your dissing is for dissing's sake and though funny at first, its boring now.

@Mango_man do you use AT or MT?

As MT gives you the option to stay in a higher gear it helps limit the transfer of torque to the wheels even if you have given it too much throttle.

I use AT. I know MT can help in that way but it still happens at the cost of acceleration. Also, I am just not good enought to manage MT and every other thing that goes on- on the track.

Last edited:
Obligatory 'git gud' overlord in humble disguise.

The thing is, it isn't a 'git gud' comment (OK, it kinda is), but the principle is that GT Sport has assists built in to it ready for your consumption. Why hack about with a bit of tape to do a half-baked version that will almost certainly result in slower times?

Load it up with Countersteer assist and some TCS and have done with it.

You're aiming this at the people who want to drive with no aids, but aren't good enough to do so - by GIVING THEM ANOTHER AID.

WHAT IZ POINT?!

EDIT:
The tape thingy does not hinder raw input. At best it splits acceleration to 2 commands that dont require pressure sensitive finesse on a little piece of plastic but instead changes the mechanics of acceleration to 2 button-timing based command.

REALLY? How the heck is that more simple than pressure sensitive finesse? It even took you 10 times the amount of words to explain it...

The thing is, it isn't a 'git gud' comment (OK, it kinda is), but the principle is that GT Sport has assists built in to it ready for your consumption. Why hack about with a bit of tape to do a half-baked version that will almost certainly result in slower times?

Load it up with Countersteer assist and some TCS and have done with it.

You're aiming this at the people who want to drive with no aids, but aren't good enough to do so - by GIVING THEM ANOTHER AID.

WHAT IZ POINT?!

EDIT:

REALLY? How the heck is that more simple than pressure sensitive finesse? It even took you 10 times the amount of words to explain it...

For the last time, Sir IDGAF, IT IS FASTER THIS WAY COMPARED TO PLAYING WITH TCS AT 2 if one cant handle tcs off with trigger. That is the whole point. Strong counter steer, ASM and tcs on are aids that MAKE YOU SLOWER and hinder raw input as well. THIS aid makes you FASTER without needing additional digital aids that slow you down.

What does the amount of words have to do with the simplicity of anything? Do you get the irony of your statement btw? I just thoroughly explained the simplicity of a simple thing and you argued that the simple thing isnt simple anymore because I thoroughly explained its simplicity.

Gg

For the last time, Sir IDGAF, IT IS FASTER THIS WAY COMPARED TO PLAYING WITH TCS AT 2 if one cant handle tcs off with trigger. That is the whole point. Strong counter steer, ASM and tcs on are aids that MAKE YOU SLOWER and hinder raw input as well. THIS aid makes you FASTER without needing additional digital aids that slow you down.

What does the amount of words have to do with the simplicity of anything? Do you get the irony of your statement btw? I just thoroughly explained the simplicity of a simple thing and you argued that the simple thing isnt simple anymore because I thoroughly explained its simplicity.

Gg
huh

I think OPs idea is a pretty good one. Wish I had thought about it when using the ds4.

Sure this is an external assist rather than one that's built into the game. However you have no control over when the assists kick in, in the game. For instance when I was on TCS 2 it would slow me down in certain sections of tracks which I knew could be taken at full throttle with TCS off.

I think OPs idea is a pretty good one. Wish I had thought about it when using the ds4.

Sure this is an external assist rather than one that's built into the game. However you have no control over when the assists kick in, in the game. For instance when I was on TCS 2 it would slow me down in certain sections of tracks which I knew could be taken at full throttle with TCS off.

This so much. I cant tell you how many times when using TCS 2 online... similar cars would simply overtake me when exiting slower turns. Almost never happens now lest I **** up. And you are right in saying that this hack is sort of a manual assist that the player controls rather than the AI autocorrect systems.

But... You would need to learn a new control layout to adopt this 'assist', yes?

So why not learn to utilise the assists baked in to the game instead? And to those saying 'the assists slow me down' then it's a user issue. The guys in the top 10 often use things like countersteer assist, so I'm guessing it doesn't slow you down.

I appreciate you are personally faster using that, but I can't help but wonder whether the same result could have been achieved if this amount of time had been spent learning to modulate your input manually.

Yes, it gets harder as you get tired, the controller gets sweaty etc. - but that is how it is in a real car when fatigue sets in. The controls become harder for you to modulate and your accuracy of input goes down...

P.s. I like the name Sir IDGAF. Might adopt it as a pseudonym.

This so much. I cant tell you how many times when using TCS 2 online... similar cars would simply overtake me when exiting slower turns. Almost never happens now lest I **** up. And you are right in saying that this hack is sort of a manual assist that the player controls rather than the AI autocorrect systems.
I just want the video man

But... You would need to learn a new control layout to adopt this 'assist', yes?

So why not learn to utilise the assists baked in to the game instead? And to those saying 'the assists slow me down' then it's a user issue. The guys in the top 10 often use things like countersteer assist, so I'm guessing it doesn't slow you down.

I appreciate you are personally faster using that, but I can't help but wonder whether the same result could have been achieved if this amount of time had been spent learning to modulate your input manually.

Yes, it gets harder as you get tired, the controller gets sweaty etc. - but that is how it is in a real car when fatigue sets in. The controls become harder for you to modulate and your accuracy of input goes down...

Top 10's mostly only use ABS. Also most of them are just that good or masters of manual transmission and/or wheel users.
Also there will always be super human exception that ruin G29 users even with broken ds4's.. doesnt mean the exception is the norm.

As for excelling with in game assists... u cant... its a fact.. tcs makes you slow when acclerating from slower speeds.

Its not about the race getting harder or more intense, its about how much room for error you have because of your skill and how much of it pertains to hardware limitations. Add to that the fact that you are constantly against people with a wheel and pedal setup means if you wanna be fairly competetive.. u need an edge instead of ai assists that handicap you at literally every turn.
Seriously i am tired of typing the same obvious logic again and again so just try it yourself.. or dont.

I get what you're saying but my point is there are some parts of some tracks that I can take at full throttle, however if I have TCS on it will modulate and I'd lose a tiny but of time.

Anyway I use a wheel with all assists off except for ABS, but when I do play with the DS4 I use TCS 2 mostly, because I find modulating throttle on the triggers beyond 50-60% very difficult. Now this could probably be overcome by practice (which is what you're suggesting) but this mod gives you the benefits of not spinning on let's say a hairpin without the side effects of slowing down in some full throttle areas.

Either way I see it as a better alternate to the game's built in assists.

I get what you're saying but my point is there are some parts of some tracks that I can take at full throttle, however if I have TCS on it will modulate and I'd lose a tiny but of time.

Anyway I use a wheel with all assists off except for ABS, but when I do play with the DS4 I use TCS 2 mostly, because I find modulating throttle on the triggers beyond 50-60% very difficult. Now this could probably be overcome by practice (which is what you're suggesting) but this mod gives you the benefits of not spinning on let's say a hairpin without the side effects of slowing down in some full throttle areas.

Either way I see it as a better alternate to the game's built in assists.

Hello logic, missed ya.

You take over imma outta here :D

Back