Homemade PVC Cockpit. G27. GT5

akcarlsonfam5
Hey guys. wanted to post my first pics of my homemade pvc cockpit. I still need to spray paint it, add wood, and get a new seat. Heres what it looks like so far.:sly:
PVCcockpit005.jpg

PVCcockpit004.jpg

PVCcockpit001.jpg

PVCcockpit005.jpg

Ill be getting a chair soon. ive also used chilicokes advice on reverse mounting my pedals. thanks dude. ur an inspiration!

Last edited:
Check your links. Make sure you're copying them down correctly. They are not showing up.

;)

11-18-10 update

Finished!!:sly::):dopey:
DSCF3599.jpg

DSCF3600.jpg

DSCF3601.jpg

DSCF3602.jpg

DSCF3603.jpg

DSCF3604.jpg

DSCF3605.jpg

DSCF3606.jpg

Overall it took about two months. This is because ive started school of course and havent had any time to work on it. the total cost of the cockpit was $125. I got the g27 of newegg for $225. Ill try to post more as time goes by. still new at this so srry again for taking so long.:indiff:

Here is my first race with my cockpit completed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w62xxWrnxY

Last edited:
I'm on the very cusp of doing something very similar. How stable is it? I doubt I could pull off anything but PVC, but I'm worried it won't that stable.

I too have a pvc rig I built just for this game...Looks quite functional so congrats...but I do have to ask why you gave Helen Keller the task of painting it ;-)

I'm on the very cusp of doing something very similar. How stable is it? I doubt I could pull off anything but PVC, but I'm worried it won't that stable.
It is pretty stable. U just have to have the side braces like i do. Though it is quite hevy once you add the wood and a seat. if you have the time and patience to work with pvc, go for it

I too have a pvc rig I built just for this game...Looks quite functional so congrats...but I do have to ask why you gave Helen Keller the task of painting it ;-)
LOL. it was supposed to be completely black but i was kinda impatient and painted quickly. also i was going to get a blue/black seat cover to match the blue on the cockpit, but i went for the silver.

It is pretty stable. U just have to have the side braces like i do. Though it is quite hevy once you add the wood and a seat. if you have the time and patience to work with pvc, go for it

Alright thanks, headed to Lowe's tomorrow to take a look at PVC and do some more digging to find a seat.

Alright thanks, headed to Lowe's tomorrow to take a look at PVC and do some more digging to find a seat.
Make shure you get schedule 40 pvc. i ended up using 30-40 feet of pipe. also had to modify alot to make it the right length and height. Have fun. post it here when ur done

Do you have some dimensions on this? I'd really like to build a replica and have the materials for it but am having some problems getting it up to spec. Thanks!

Overall it took about two months. This is because ive started school of course and havent had any time to work on it. the total cost of the cockpit was $125. I got the g27 of newegg for $225. Ill try to post more as time goes by. still new at this so srry again for taking so long.:indiff:

225$? In that shop is sold by 299$. I am thinking of getting this wheel or the T500RS and I am searching for the best price. Was it a promotion or are you mistaken?

Last edited:
its length is 57", width 33", height 26". i use 1 and 1/4" pvc pipe, schedule 40, i used about 40 feet of pipe, thanks for the positive feedback, any ?s, pm me.

225$? In that shop is sold by 299$. I am thinking of getting this wheel or the T500RS and I am searching for the best price. Was it a promotion or are you mistaken?

it wasnt a promotion, but at the time i bought it it was 225, im glad i got it then to, cause the next day it was at 300, you just have to buy them at the right time, i bought mine in early fall, there wasnt any racing games coming out till next fall so it was cheaper.

I've almost got mine done. PVC is all in, just got to mount the wood and the pedals. Pics to come when finished! Thanks for the pics and setup info, helped a ton!!

Just wrapped mine up for good, had to do some tweaking to the pedal length and the shifter position, should have done some more measuring before I put it together but once you have the frame tweaking it is super easy, especially if you make it to big (which I did). Pics to come soon once i pull them off my phone.

Just wrapped mine up for good, had to do some tweaking to the pedal length and the shifter position, should have done some more measuring before I put it together but once you have the frame tweaking it is super easy, especially if you make it to big (which I did). Pics to come soon once i pull them off my phone.

Sweet man, hope to see pics, i did alot of tweaking. mine was way to long, couldnt reach pedals lol, but i love it now :sly: hope ur paint jobs better than mine :yuck: lol

Looks great. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is that 1 1/2" PVC? If so, have you noticed any flex? Edit: Just saw you used 1 1/4". I hope everything is sturdy for you.

I'm almost finished with my SIMUL8R design PVC cockpit using 2" pipes. I wish now I'd gone with wood or even metal tubing, as working with PVC is terrible. I've got more strained muscles and cuts than I can count from prying small interconnects from fittings. Gluing everything will probably be the point at which I finally go insane.

Looks great. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is that 1 1/2" PVC? If so, have you noticed any flex? Edit: Just saw you used 1 1/4". I hope everything is sturdy for you.

I'm almost finished with my SIMUL8R design PVC cockpit using 2" pipes. I wish now I'd gone with wood or even metal tubing, as working with PVC is terrible. I've got more strained muscles and cuts than I can count from prying small interconnects from fittings. Gluing everything will probably be the point at which I finally go insane.
lol :) it was a true pain to build bro, as uve experienced. i used a normal saw, my lines werent st8, but connectors helped. btw, i used self drilling screws insted, worked great!!! plus no waiting time, and if i wasnt to adjust somthing all i have to do is unscrew the adjust it. mine is pretty sturdy. not like metal or wood tho :(, i prolly just need a few mor braces then itll be good. i really need to repaint it, some on commented on youtube that helen keller painted it lol, anyway. hoppe to see pics soon. post them here bro :sly:

Ok after a couple weeks i've finally gotten around to uploadin some pics.

2011-04-11_20-28-08_499_816x460.jpg

2011-04-16_21-02-19_864_816x460.jpg

2011-04-16_21-02-35_644_816x460.jpg

2011-04-16_21-03-06_841_816x460.jpg

2011-04-19_20-54-22_721_816x460.jpg

2011-04-19_20-54-49_312_816x460.jpg

2011-04-19_20-55-00_392_816x460.jpg

2011-04-19_20-55-15_161_816x460.jpg

2011-04-19_20-55-49_561_816x460.jpg

2011-04-19_20-56-17_789_816x460.jpg

I used 1 1/4" pvc and bought 40' of it to build this. I also drilled holls and used bolts to fasten all the wood to make tear down easier if needed.

WOOOOOOW!!!!! Good job sam :) it looks exacly like mine!!!! i hope you like it, i should make them and sell them to people lol jk ,alot of people have been liking my cockpit, have had good review from my youtube also. it looks sweet sam. btw y u have 2 shifters?

I'm using the g25 shifter as a button box for right now. The other shifter has a better feel and more realistic. You should make em to order :) sell em on ebay. I bet people would buy em ha ha. Only problem would be figuring out a good fit for people of different heights.

I'm using the g25 shifter as a button box for right now. The other shifter has a better feel and more realistic. You should make em to order :) sell em on ebay. I bet people would buy em ha ha. Only problem would be figuring out a good fit for people of different heights.

yea. id sell it for 150$ cost bout 90$ to make but it will very on the person lol. to bad i dont have the time and money to do it lol

Back