Honda Accord Type R 1998

• Thread starter Toshost
  • 32 comments
United Kingdom
W1
MrTKS17
accord_type_r_153.jpg

Hi guys, the Honda Accord Type R that was made in EU is one of my favourite JDMs of all time, i saw that the car was not suggested yet so i decided to leave it here!

Honda Accord Type R: Wikipedia
Production Years: 1998-2002
Original Spec: 210hp, 1235kg
Engine: 2.2L, In-line 4 cylinder

Interior view:

atr5.jpg atr3.jpg

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:
I might get this car soon in real life, i found a good one at PistonHeads! I don't have money for an old WRX so this is perfect for first car!

You gotta be kidding me, this has only been suggested now? Darn, I liked this accord in GT2.
I shall give it my like.

Though, I should note that you don't have to put the year it's production ended. The Guidelines only suggest putting its first production year.

This was/is one of my favorite rides in GT. I bought my 2001 Accord manual (US version even though it had nowhere near the performance of this Type R) because of this one.

I always liked the UK Accord Type R, I've driven a couple for some fair distance and I rate it because it's mature and not fizzy like the undercapacitied Civics and Integras. I personally thought it was better balanced than the Integra, which (against both informed and uninformed popular option) I never really rated.

It is also (in my humble opinion) a far better and more solidly screwed together vehicle overall. Definitely the most 'GT' of all the Type R cars, and arguably better for it. Fabulous seats; less 'body-hugging', more 'having consensual chair-human bondage nookie with you'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double Post:

Oh shoot two years to the day and my view hasn't changed.
This was/is one of my favorite rides in GT. I bought my 2001 Accord manual (US version even though it had nowhere near the performance of this Type R) because of this one.

I remember when we made these. Watching them running up and down the test track and all parked and lined up together. Felt quite proud at the time.. Like I do now with the Civic Type R.

was on my purchase list back in the day too but ended up getting a 4th gen JDM imported Prelude VTEC, just wish they would have done a Type-R version of that as it was a great handing car (especially with the upgraded springs that I added ) plus the owner in Japan had fitted Rays Alloys..

should have been easy to do as I think it was pretty much the same engine in the Accord type R as the prelude had a H22A1 and the Accord has H22A7.

it didnt end well for my prelude though
LQ0JB7UKfZGwu3--6YB1-pk98O3SSBlzEItPPXYh7VAJ-AvwmsCW0Mku4wid1jz0kkqt4Qj7dulp6Wgk8Zcf9TrpcFn8969FZylaHwxa5RvLlJIv7ejZNkhxf4ipD_nIj1D6dIAmoY8PT-MZ6mtbBhvBwNly3NXrSQ5AccnBL7kq2Xe5chjGxAcX0CHGhoU-RvDed8w2ZqaTOQeDGPbCmEbjtJjnai_Ce2Vr4JyW9UEFYTLpmdfei4rUCQezEfHtCWrFIyby8gxRKNvRiY1kJUBENC7zzlLtoumclFuiC6iUbnHcyS0gNifh2uVUuQb9g-_F22-dXRfLaiKcvBzICpGzWOLAxnM1W8Nn2VPScbi9pdLoK0gB_VfsAbSApq7UVTOsjyBW5M6x10j6eTmiufwRqeNSNeQSzZu5kLbiri6sc4JaGjdv5nrKPGVfUmFd8y2IYzszYy11UCNoVUppvpee35QqWNrgiIMidj3i5BqX_bIMb-JzsF_JHl4ZRkEEgZ8wA-noCA3gVLTUklcW0pkTN7MU8TFHisZnRUgM74hKKFkZrI7iJnOTwhU6sQfgRoz3GQqzwjXLeWnO-gaKAPwCP1MYypm-ks7RM4pgeZwaVmzYHhGI9zj9By623o6rMlRwigzcUw=w519-h372-no

kKa-Nx5v_PSNayyfFEw1NK6wj237_z8h930jTtXXdlRtH9Fp4ty4Li0Pcc2tf6qyBuYuV6_n3akVSKMVLUkbtSnmo5oTsn6XwOETZ8IBzg1Fer5FNXzRpmXUPC1rpT1gTmvKQZ0hOp8-KTwurNarGkfotNdOA4lZbTctfRY5YkHCEY8-EyF0pLn78V9GO4ezrkYSOCN-yzpPSKnoW-XeC8eCSGo9OFNhUjE4042BxPYheUay0wzjrJt485dgPyTYtDtlbmc-j7v5SFyf-DkeBh72SNWxi7MFPiX51pjWx2w4xUNuBpTHFlt94bcaFM5K5iUWLc0cxtGsP0VAFgxfYdAmyJIpk4y4T7FtVXHTBlQZytMTBQe-_7DERv9LNILx5uhdP_DsgIoBcIFsDyu0SEgApVwtkwrD-ruCM_UzgG8hlONnnNzNW9a8cTrmrhYV2oodV5tTec1gF2Y5EZUjKemdGwmHavJ-lKtSdzRWYFxbpkSTDI0bTOWaC17cg0mT9pc1ioJX1BQOIOtlAw4V_UKjXFqY3iY_rDWrShWN7tLJGs99uqYpGHYvhVIXkTop3HDd9l9iI4C_s7wpYuIMsbKTHDjGz4M1AJoDM5d_eAY7WIO-4V4N=w518-h375-no

Hmmm, I'm waiting, playing GTA V, for the next GT6 Time Trial.
Thanks Andrew. Though I never understood what the '00 and '02 Accord 'Euro R' were about, I think I got it now ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm waiting, playing GTA V, for the next GT6 Time Trial to return to the game.
Thanks Andrew. Though I never understood what the '00 and '02 Accord 'Euro R' were about, I think I got it now ;)
The Euro-R models were Japanese market equivalents, engineered in Japan, for Japan, using the CL1 chassis.

Bizarrely, at one point Honda was selling three different cars as the Accord at once - one in the USA, one in Europe and one in Japan. There was also a time where Honda sold a Japanese and North American Accord separately to a European one, and a Japanese and European one separately to a North American one. It was insane.

The ATR came at a time when the European Accord wasn't the Japanese or North American Accord, and Honda UK just went nuts. The Euro-R followed two years later with basically the same idea but never got credited as a proper Type R. Strangely, given the 'Euro R' name, it was never sold in Europe - just as the Type R was never sold in Japan.

The Euro-R models were Japanese market equivalents, engineered in Japan, for Japan, using the CL1 chassis.

Bizarrely, at one point Honda was selling three different cars as the Accord at once - one in the USA, one in Europe and one in Japan. There was also a time where Honda sold a Japanese and North American Accord separately to a European one, and a Japanese and European one separately to a North American one. It was insane.

The ATR came at a time when the European Accord wasn't the Japanese or North American Accord, and Honda UK just went nuts. The Euro-R followed two years later with basically the same idea but never got credited as a proper Type R. Strangely, given the 'Euro R' name, it was never sold in Europe - just as the Type R was never sold in Japan.

Having three different models of the same car has always been the case right up until recently with the latest Civic, it is our first true 'world car'. We are always very slow to do what other manufacturers have been doing for awhile. Only time will tell if it's the right way to go as different regions have different tastes, although the Civic has been well received in both Europe and America so far..

Having three different models of the same car has always been the case right up until recently with the latest Civic, it is our first true 'world car'. We are always very slow to do what other manufacturers have been doing for awhile. Only time will tell if it's the right way to go as different regions have different tastes, although the Civic has been well received in both Europe and America so far..

The Asians don't seem to like the 1.5T Civic all that much though, from what I've read so far anyway.

all similar performance? usually JDM types have much stiffer suspension

all similar performance? usually JDM types have much stiffer suspension
Similar, yes. The Euro R is a larger and heavier car, by about 80kg, but with a little more power - 220hp to 212hp. The CL1 Euro R used a similar H22 engine to the CH1 Type R, and the CL7 Euro R used the K20. I think the Euro R had a six-speed 'box too, whereas the Type R was a five-speed.

Both had 'lowered sports suspension'. How low and how sporty they were compared to one another I just don't know.

Where does the Acura TSX fit in all this? The Japanese/European one separate to the NA one?

Where does the Acura TSX fit in all this? The Japanese/European one separate to the NA one?
The Acura TSX was a generation later (ATR was 1998-2003; AER was 2000-2004; TSX was 2004-2008) and based on the larger CL9 chassis that was also the European (2004-2008) & Japanese Accord, in a bizarre twist, Acura was marketing a sports luxury version of the Japanese Accord, which Honda Europe wanted to adapt for in order to separate the Accord out of the D-segment mainstream and put it into a more upmarket segment - like a cheaper 3 Series/A4/C-Class. That was basically where it was pitched until it was dropped in 2015.

The TSX used the larger K24 2.4, with slightly less power and a great deal more weight - ATR was barely over 1,300kg, TSX was 1,500kg.

The Acura TSX was a generation later (ATR was 1998-2003; AER was 2000-2004; TSX was 2004-2008) and based on the larger CL9 chassis that was also the European (2004-2008) & Japanese Accord, in a bizarre twist, Acura was marketing a sports luxury version of the Japanese Accord, which Honda Europe wanted to adapt for in order to separate the Accord out of the D-segment mainstream and put it into a more upmarket segment - like a cheaper 3 Series/A4/C-Class. That was basically where it was pitched until it was dropped in 2015.

The TSX used the larger K24 2.4, with slightly less power and a great deal more weight - ATR was barely over 1,300kg, TSX was 1,500kg.
And at the same time the TSX (7th/8th gen Euro/Japan) was sold in North America Japan got the 7th/8th gen North American Accord as the Honda Inspire. Which means there was a North American Accord, a European/Japanese Accord, an American version of the European/Japanese Accord and a Japanese version of the American one.

Last edited:
And at the same time the TSX was sold in North America Japan got the North American Accord as the Honda Inspire. Which means there was a North American Accord, a European/Japanese Accord, an American version of the European/Japanese Accord and a Japanese version of the American one.
Yes, that all sounds right. In an amazingly crazy fashion :lol:

Back