Hongqi S9 Prototype 2021

Chile
Chile
cristobal458
AiARDuy.png
Hongqi S9 Prototype '21
AiARDuy.png

Vnew7g5 (1).jpg

The L-Concept is not Hongqi’s only interesting debut at the Auto Shanghai 2021. The luxury sedan concept shares the stage with the S9 hypercar - or, more precisely, the updated version of the machine, which is now ready to hit the assembly lines.

First shown at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show as a prototype, the S9 is the brand’s ultimate sports car designed by former Volkswagen Group design chief Walter de Silva. Yes, this is the same guy who designed the original Audi R8 and he is now working for the Silk-FAW joint venture, which helped Hongqi with the development of the S9.

As you can see for yourself in the gallery above, the hypercar has a very sleek silhouette and looks very European, so to speak. There are a number of very interesting details about the exterior - for example, the headlights have integrated air intakes that channel fresh air to the hybrid powertrain. The body features a striking red finish in a combination with exposed carbon fiber for some of the visible components. The S9 also features smart electrochromic windows that vary in tint intensity to improve energy consumption.

Under the sleek skin, there’s a plug-in hybrid system with a V8 combustion engine, delivering 1,400 horsepower (1,044 kilowatts). The information is scarce at the moment but the S9 is reportedly capable of hitting 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) from a standstill in just 1.9 seconds. The top speed is said to be 250 mph (402 kph), while the pure electric range is about 25 miles (40 km).

"The Hongqi S9 brings to life the dreams of those who design and drive it,” says Walter de Silva. “With people who seek exclusivity in mind, my team and I designed this forward-thinking hypercar, linking functionality and aesthetics that looks toward the future.”

The best part? This is actually a production-ready vehicle and Hongqi is already accepting orders for it. It plans to produce just 99 examples with production planned to kick off next year. The S9 will reportedly be assembled in Modena, Italy.

https://www.motor1.com/news/502213/hongqi-s9-hypercar-concept/

SPECIFICATIONS

OVERVIEW

• Manufacturer: Hongqi
• Year: 2021
• Type: Street car
• Division: N1000

ENGINE
• Engine: V8, Electric motor (Hybrid)
• Power: 1400 HP / --- rpm
• Torque: --- Nm / --- rpm
• Engine location: Mid
• Displacement: --- cc
• Aspiration: Twin Turbo (T)

PERFORMANCE
• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) Time: 1.9 seconds
• Top Speed: 402 km/h (250 mph)
• Power-to-weight ratio: --- hp/kg

DRIVETRAIN
• Layout: 4WD
• Drive: All-wheel drive
• Body: Carbon fibre monocoque

RANGE
• Range: 40 km (25 miles)

DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
• Lenght: --- mm
• Width: --- mm
• Height: --- mm
• Weight: --- kg

Yqq22A7.jpg

yEwEhJg.jpg

TyZ4kLq.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a stunner, alright.

Although, production ready, eh? Without wing mirrors, I'm not quite sure about that.

Also, kinda interested in learning more about the V8. Could it be a version of the good ol' LS?

Although, production ready, eh? Without wing mirrors, I'm not quite sure about that.

Also, kinda interested in learning more about the V8. Could it be a version of the good ol' LS?

I thought the same, sadly most of the vehicle's specifications are still unknown, which could mean that this is a pre-production prototype.

McLaren was able to sell the Speedtail without wing mirrors and like the Speedtail I imagine they won't be building that many of these so I'm sure it'll be fine. The Speedtail uses cameras instead of real side mirrors and I imagine this car does too.

McLaren was able to sell the Speedtail without wing mirrors and like the Speedtail I imagine they won't be building that many of these so I'm sure it'll be fine. The Speedtail uses cameras instead of real side mirrors and I imagine this car does too.
Thing is, though, Speedtail is not legal in the US. And as far as I know, it's also not legal in my country, South Africa, plus a few others all because of the lack of wing mirrors.

And judging from the interior shots, this car doesn't seem to have wing mirror cameras either since I couldn't see any screens to act as mirror displays.

Thing is, though, Speedtail is not legal in the US. And as far as I know, it's also not legal in my country, South Africa, plus a few others all because of the lack of wing mirrors.

And judging from the interior shots, this car doesn't seem to have wing mirror cameras either since I couldn't see any screens to act as mirror displays.
Given that this is a prototype, maybe they'll add wing mirrors later. And while the Speedtail is not US legal because no wing mirrors (and no side airbags because of packaging constraints and also they're not building many), I doubt that'll stop people who can afford one. Not sure about the laws in South Africa though. Also, given that the Speedtail isn't right hand drive, what are the laws about importing non-RHD cars into South Africa?

Also, given that the Speedtail isn't right hand drive, what are the laws about importing non-RHD cars into South Africa?
It's prohibited unless you have one of the two "special" licences. One is to have an old classic car made before... not sure, before 1999 or something. I've seen SN95 Mustangs and Chevy Tahoes (Tahoe-es?) in left hand drive pootling around here before, so...

And the other is the obvious "Have lots of money" licence. :lol: Apparently, a few Bugattis have been spotted around Cape Town and last time I checked, they don't make right-hand drive Veyrons or Chirons.

Oh, manufacturers get special exemptions too, I think. Porsche have a huge workshop down here (they even own the famous Kyalami racetrack) and "covertly" test all sorts of prototypes in LHD on public roads, you see.

Last edited:
It's prohibited unless you have one of the two "special" licences. One is to have an old classic car made before... not sure, before 1999 or something. I've seen SN95 Mustangs and Chevy Tahoes (Tahoe-es?) in left hand drive pootling around here before, so...

And the other is the obvious "Have lots of money" licence. :lol: Apparently, a few Bugattis have been spotted around Cape Town and last time I checked, they don't make right-hand drive Veyrons or Chirons.

Oh, manufacturers get special exemptions too, I think. Porsche have a huge workshop down here (they even own the famous Kyalami racetrack) and "covertly" test all sorts of prototypes in LHD on public roads, you see.
Where I'm from we drive on the right so by default we use left hand drive cars. There's apparently a 15 year cutoff where importing anything is fair game and this seems to include RHD vehicles.

Back