host advantage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TrackBound7
  • 13 comments
  • 1,248 views
Messages
1,013
United States
Connecticut
Messages
TrackBound7
Can anyone confirm if the host of an online race (open lobby or lounge) has an advantage over the other competitors due to lack of lag time?
 
While I have no proof that there is or isn't host advantage in GT5, I have hosted dozens and dozens of races online and I rarely win or place in top 3. No host advantage here lol.
 
I was hosting last night & finished on two occasions in 10th place out of 11 racers. So no advantage for poor me either :(
 
Thanks for the input. I don't recall hearing anyone else mention much about it. I think my friend and brother are just tired of seeing my rear bumper =)
 
Sounds like a case of the host having some skills which leads to an advantage.
 
No. I get thrashed when I'm a host, and thrashed when I'm a guest.
 
The expression "A bad workman always blames his tools" comes to mind. In this case it seems as if your friend and brother are bad workmen.
 
The expression "A bad workman always blames his tools" comes to mind. In this case it seems as if your friend and brother are bad workmen.

I think the friend and brother are "tools". :lol:
 
The host has no advantage. Your race is processed on your own PS3 (you're not controlling a car on the host's PS3) and the only lag there could be is in the communication between the different consoles about where the different cars are, and the amount of lag from you to the host is the same as the amount of lag from the host to you.
 
Thanks for the input. The 2 I mentioned are good guys...didn't think there was much substance to the possibility of an advantage, but thought it was fair enough to ask.
 
I have the same experience as DA_Dogg. LOL

There's no inherent benefit to being the host. Other than kicking who you want I guess. :) A host can just kick people who are better than them if the host is that kind of a foolish nincompoop.

That said, be wary of pub lobbies that restrict to a peculiar PP#. If the PP restriction is not an even number (like 425, 450, 475, 500, 550), and is instead some bizarre arbitrary number (like 442, 531, etc) there's probably a hinky reason for it, where the host knows he has an advantage at that PP # in a particular vehicle.
 
Even in that case i would doubt that the host has any real advantage. I would still avoid the room though as thta kind of behaviour is suspicious.
 
Back