Hot Wheels Velocity X

United States
The US of A
While people are talking about the new Hot Wheels Unleashed, I recently went back to Hot Wheels Velocity X for the first time in over 14 years and have been having a good time revisiting this game again after so long. That said, I decided to create a thread for this because we don't already have one for this game and I am interested in discussing it with anyone else who's played it. That said, feel free to discuss whatever about the game here. I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on it! :)

Last edited:
While the story is stupid, I really liked this game. Only played it on PS2 and apart from Turbo Racing, Velocity X is fun! I personally loved the car roster alot, especially my favourite, the MS-T Suzuka. I just wish it had more racing stuff instead of combat, but nevertheless, it's a fun game.

I don't even remember the story much apart from the ending and the beginning cutscenes and some small details, but I do remember the conversations between the characters in the menu having weird facial animations and being pretty cringeworthy to watch as a kid. Lord knows how I will feel about it as an adult. :P
I just wish it had more racing stuff instead of combat
Yea I kind of wish they had more racing, especially since the game already had a mission in story mode that involved racing someone. Been so long, I don't remember which mission it was. Haven't played through the story again yet.

So I just finished replaying the story for the first time in forever and a few random thoughts I have after looking at it again is:
  • The facial animations when the characters converse with one another are just as bad as I remember. :lol: They didn't even try to sync them up with the characters as they talked, they just repeat the same animations regardless if it lines up or not, making it awkward to watch.
  • Those barrels that take off time when you hit them are annoying and unnecessary in my opinion, but I guess they needed to add some kind of challenge, otherwise, it'd be too easy? 🤷
  • Rupert looks like a rip-off of Dr. Neo Cortex from Crash Bandicoot. :P
  • Is it just me, or does Nitro Burn sound way different in the conversations than he does in the cutscenes?
  • I really am not a fan of Slick's voice and he might be one of the worst sounding characters I have heard in a while. They tried a bit too hard with his personality in my opinion.
  • I don't think the story is bad, I kind of liked it, but what's with the characters constantly making deals with the Justice family? That part of the story seems a little overplayed if you ask me.
It was nice to finally replay it again though, I just wish it was a bit longer, but oh well. Time to try challenge mode!

Last edited:
I also decided to replay the game on PC and it's just as fun as I remember. Belcher's voice is for me the worst, so cringe as hell. And again, the story was stupid to me.

Apart from the silly story, the game is still fun and I still love the car roster.

Belcher's voice is for me the worst, so cringe as hell.
Agreed, I think he was the one I meant to mention instead of Slick. (Slick still sounds terrible though) Belcher and Slick's voice actors I think tried way too hard with them and ended up coming off as cringe-worthy more than anything else.

Agreed, I think he was the one I meant to mention instead of Slick. (Slick still sounds terrible though) Belcher and Slick's voice actors I think tried way too hard with them and ended up coming off as cringe-worthy more than anything else.
Belcher is far worse than Slick. Trust me. I had to skip the cutscenes everytime Belcher appears.

I agree and I totally understand. He's just so awkward to look at and to listen to, I have a tendency to skip him as well if someone walks in the room while he's talking. Heck, I felt this way when I was 13 back when I first got it and replaying it again at the age of 28, I still do.

Last edited:
I agree and I totally understand. He's just so awkward to look at and to listen to, I have a tendency to skip him as well if someone walks in the room while he's talking. Heck, I felt this way when I was 13 back when I first got it and replaying it again at the age of 28, I still do.
Same here, I love replaying it because of the gameplay and the car roster. I just wish it wasn't a Twisted Metal clone and focused more on the racing aspect but, the game is still fun.

And Belcher can take a hike with that hideous voice of his.

I don't mind it being a Twisted Metal clone because not only do I like that style, but I feel like it's a good way to introduce kids to that type of game since it's easier and less violent than Twisted Metal tends to be. I do agree that it should have more racing though because racing is something I feel it's doesn't have enough of.

It's still fun though, I enjoyed revisiting it for the first time in forever, it became a highlight for 2021 for me and I think it's a good game. I just wish it had more content because I found myself wanting to do even more in the game only to realize I had already done just about everything it had to offer.

Back